Author Topic: Ichang papeda available  (Read 2120 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Ichang papeda available
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:35:16 PM »
Does anyone want an Ichang papeda?
It's a very small little plant and you'll need to take very good care of it to get it bigger to the point it can be planted outside.
Likely you may have to grow it indoors for a year.
I feel there's a good chance it may not survive, so you may only want to accept this if you're really good at growing these things, have lots of experience growing little seedlings.

can give it away for free, only one available
You should live in climate zone 8

I know some of you have been searching for an Ichang papeda for years and couldn't find it available from anywhere.
(Please only inquire if you're one of these people who've been searching for Ichang papeda for a long time)

Also, if you accept this little thing, make sure you offer seeds to other people in this forum in the future. (i.e. be willing to pass the favor along, since this is a difficult to find species)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 06:39:20 PM by SoCal2warm »

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Ichang papeda available
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 07:12:46 PM »
I'll take it. You headed to pdx anytime soon?

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
 It seems like no one care about the ichang papeda. I am working on breeding a seedless yuzu with better freeze tolerance using my seedless ichang papeda and yuzu. People might be interest more in seedless yuzu I guess.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
It seems like no one care about the ichang papeda.
I think you may be right, from what I've noticed.

I can't understand it, but then again I love lemons, so maybe I am a bit personally biased.

I am working on breeding a seedless yuzu with better freeze tolerance using my seedless ichang papeda and yuzu. People might be interest more in seedless yuzu I guess.
That sounds interesting. Maybe you will get something that is a little bit more cold tolerant than regular yuzu. Maybe with a little bit of a different flavor too.

Be aware though that something like around 90% of the seeds in a Yuzu will be nucellar (i.e. clones of the parent yuzu fruit), so you will likely have to grow a lot of seedlings.
Maybe you can help prematurely identify hybrids among them by leaf shape, but then you will likely be throwing out some other good candidates as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk