Author Topic: Mango tree questions, too copper or not to copper  (Read 10786 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mango tree questions, too copper or not to copper
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:55:09 PM »
My lemon meringue (planted last year) had seemed pretty dormant as well as my cogshall I planted last year with it. This week the lemon went crazy and the cogshall starting to show some signs of progress.  Lemon has some small black spots, assuming or possibly Anthracnose?? question is should I spray this copper solution? If so just enough to moist leaves and do it weekly, monthly until the fruit arrives? Tried searching but could not find specifics.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree questions, too copper or not to copper
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
If you can smell the blooms you'd probably be best to wait until fruit set, if not they haven't opened yet! Hit em quick!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »
Unless the label prohibits it, you can add wettable Sulfur to the Copper Soap, to greatly increase effectiveness against Powdery Mildew.
Har

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
Southern Ag has a liquid copper fungicide, the label states to spray when the pannicles are 2" in length every two weeks until fruit set and then monthly until harvest.  I also use Plant Doctor every 2 weeks after the pannicles show up. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »
As Patrick said,  spray before flowers open and then not again till fruit set.  Do not spray on open flowers.
- Rob

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 11:08:16 PM »
So go against the label instructions Rob?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:18:05 PM »
So go against the label instructions Rob?

To a degree, yes..  You will have better fruiting results refraining from spraying on the open flowers.  Not sure I agree with the aggressive amount of applications as a protocol, instead take it on a case by case basis.  Also, depending on the varieties you are growing,  applications of sulfur to prevent/treat powdery mildew could be of as much of an importance as spraying with the copper.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 11:40:29 PM »
Crapolla, time to refresh my botany from college LOL  So copper protects against fungus but not powdery mildew, need the sulfur for that? Thanks for the tips.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:56:12 PM »
In all seriousness, what harm could come from spraying copper on flowers of the mango tree?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 03:47:28 AM »
I think you are misunderstanbing.  Mango "flowers" as a whole or the spike is a pannicle or inflorescence.  Its not that spraying the pannicle or entire inflorescence that is bad, its spraying when the small individual flowers on the inflorescence  are at a stage of open flowers that should be avoided.  What harm could it cause?  It can reduce or prevent the flowers from setting fruit if sprayed when the flowers or florets are at their open stage.  What i am recommending  is spraying the pannicle before the florets open, halting the process while the florets are at their open stage which is when pollination occurs,  and then spraying again after you see the small fruit set (at the little green "bb" stage).  The amount and frequency of spraying can be determined by you local weather or specific variety that may have a predisposition to getting anthracnose.

You dont have to listen or follow these recommendations however we are giving advice from experience.  There are some growers who never spray copper ad have tremendous production,  it depends on location.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:08:16 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
In all seriousness, what harm could come from spraying copper on flowers of the mango tree?

Copper is a serious anti-biological poison. Flowers are too delicate to handle it.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
Don't use Copper and Plant Doctor in the same spray mix.  I haven't tried that, but when a label goes to the trouble of saying not to, it usually means that someone has tried it, to their chagrin.
Har

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »
So took a close look, nice fragrance (never have gotten to smell a mango flower in all my years because all the trees I have known are huge, no where near the nose lol) and many little flowers open, gonna pass on the copper just in case. She looks healthy so will just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Not looking for a "bumper" crop but hoping to get around 10 fruits in her first fruiting year!! Cant wait!! The suspense is killing me.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
Unless the label prohibits it, you can add wettable Sulfur to the Copper Soap, to greatly increase effectiveness against Powdery Mildew.

Har, is it advisable to add wettable sulfur to a mix of Plant Doctor and Pro-TeKt?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 05:58:54 AM »
Plant Doctor label says not to mix it with Copper.
Har

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
This a great thread!  This is why i joined the forum to learn how to get some fresh fruit from those with the experience.  Thanks everyone for the advise.....Now another question: is it safe to spray Plant Doctor on the flowers?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:53:03 AM by GrassFlats »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
This a great thread!  This is why i joined the forum to learn how to get some fresh fruit from those with the experience.  Thanks everyone for the advise.....Now another question: is it safe to spray Plant Doctor on the flowers?

I would treat it as the same, not on open florets.  Either before the florets open or after fruit set.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 10:54:39 PM »
Or use at a lower concentration ,such as half strength, when spraying on open florets. 
Of course measure carefully--- not the just pour some in routine!  I have seen completely destroyed blooms from such "no time to read labels" routines.
Har

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 07:51:48 AM »

I'm noticing powdery mildew on some of my blooms  :'(...some of the blooms are open while others are still closed. If I use half strength will this help or it is too late to spray it with sulphur now?

thanks!!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »
Spray.
Har

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »

Copper is a serious anti-biological poison. Flowers are too delicate to handle it.

I have read that rain on open flowering can wash the pollen away reducing successful pollination of the flowers.  Then it would be logical that spraying any liquid on the flowers could also wash the pollen away.  This is the first article I could find that talk about the problem.  It talks about it about half the way down.  Search for the word rain.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mango_ars.html

Of course if you have a major problem spraying may save what little was not affected.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »
Go ahead and spray open flowers and see what happens. You will find them dried up quickly in day or two. At least that is my experience with spraying copper on open flowers. Maybe this only happens in AZ and CA?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Go ahead and spray open flowers and see what happens. You will find them dried up quickly in day or two. At least that is my experience with spraying copper on open flowers. Maybe this only happens in AZ and CA?

I dont recommend spraying on open flowers if possible.   I would try to spray before the flowers open or after fruit set.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »

I'm noticing powdery mildew on some of my blooms  :'(...some of the blooms are open while others are still closed. If I use half strength will this help or it is too late to spray it with sulphur now?

thanks!!

Nancy - are you sure its powdery mildew?
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure? What do you think Rob? some of the blooms aren't open yet...I can spray those with sulfur if you think it is PM? How many times and how far apart should I spray it? Thanks again!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk