Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 106973 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
just planted a few grafted paw paws in a wet spot....now maybe I'm thinking I made a mistake?

I dug a hole about 2 ft deep...and was distracted for about 30 minutes...when I came back to plant the tree in the hole, it was filled with water.

having heard that paw paws are flood tolerant, I said to myself, "Oh well, it can handle it"

now i'm reading some articles that say the paw paw is really weak when it comes to flood tolerance?

I guess we will find out who's full of shit...

I'm not digging the damn things up....it's up to them (the trees) to figure it out.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
Mr. Peterson was kind enough to get back to me after i sent him an email asking him how sweet his personally developed Paw Paws were in comparison to Cherimoyas. To be specific I asked him what were the Brix levels and this is what he replied back.

"I have brix on at least two:
 Shenandoah Pawpaw = 19%
 Susquehanna Pawpaw = 24%

Actually, I imagine that those bracket it for the other four, 19-24%

Do you grow cherimoya yourself, Christopher. Your scientific interest
 piques my interest.

Neal"

I'm so excited to hear that Paw Paws are just as sweet as your average Cherimoya if not Sweeter...Can't wait to pick up 3 of Peterson's Paw Paws!!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
Cool info, Clay. Lines up with my tastebuds - definitely a sweet fruit when ripe

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2015, 10:32:29 PM »
my gainesville #1 paw paw had a few very small broken branches, and I just so happened to have a few paw paw seedlings that I planted this winter...that got weed whacked by the lawn mower man....I grafted them recently, and looks like one is taking!  I'll be excited if I have two gainesville #1 trees now!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:37:25 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »
my gainesville #1 paw paw had a few very small broken branches, and I just so happened to have a few paw paw seedlings that I planted this winter...that got weed whacked by the lawn mower man....I grafted them recently, and looks like one is taking!  I'll be excited if I have two gainesville #1 trees now!

it is cleft graft you´ve used?
Daniel

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
yes. cleft..

also i've seen people use saddle and splice graft.

sure veneer would work too..and several other grafts.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
Definately looking to purchase 3 Peterson Paw Paws!!!!!!!! probably going to wait next year, The only thing thats upsetting about them, is they add to the fruits which coincide with my Mango Harvest....Pluots, Figs, Mangos, Dragon Fruit, Cherimoya....I cant eat them all at once.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »
Definately looking to purchase 3 Peterson Paw Paws!!!!!!!! probably going to wait next year, The only thing thats upsetting about them, is they add to the fruits which coincide with my Mango Harvest....Pluots, Figs, Mangos, Dragon Fruit, Cherimoya....I cant eat them all at once.

freeze them for later use...eat a little of each to be well rounded with a wide variety of nutritional and medicinal benefits.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »

freeze them for later use...eat a little of each to be well rounded with a wide variety of nutritional and medicinal benefits.

Which fruits freeze well? I know Lychee taste amazing when Frozen, the drop in flavor is almost non existent...I wa shocked when i bought a bag of Frozen Lychee at how close it tasted to fresh Lychee.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
I don't know about whole fruits, but pawpaw pulp freezes well. It's also a star in homemade ice cream.

I'm excited that 3 of my seedlings are leafing out  - I managed not to kill them over their first winter!

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2015, 02:43:22 PM »
I don't know about whole fruits, but pawpaw pulp freezes well. It's also a star in homemade ice cream.

I'm excited that 3 of my seedlings are leafing out  - I managed not to kill them over their first winter!

Anthony, you should try your hand at grafting. Now would be the perfect time to gather cuttings from your favorite tree.
Life is good

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
lychee, mango and paw paw for sure...dragon fruit as well.

Which fruits freeze well? I know Lychee taste amazing when Frozen, the drop in flavor is almost non existent...I wa shocked when i bought a bag of Frozen Lychee at how close it tasted to fresh Lychee.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
yes. cleft..

Nice. Mine are starting to push already too. I really liked grafting them. The wood seemed nice and soft so getting good cuts was very easy. I ended up doing all whip and tongues. Assuming the grafts keep looking good I should have allegheny, shenandoah, Susquehanna, wabash, Collins, gainesvie 1 and mango. The mango is putting out a bunch of flowers now. Hoping to try a fruit this season.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
yes. cleft..

Nice. Mine are starting to push already too. I really liked grafting them. The wood seemed nice and soft so getting good cuts was very easy. I ended up doing all whip and tongues. Assuming the grafts keep looking good I should have allegheny, shenandoah, Susquehanna, wabash, Collins, gainesvie 1 and mango. The mango is putting out a bunch of flowers now. Hoping to try a fruit this season.

Please give a nice review, would really like to here reports on named quality Paw Paws and not just random varieties.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »

Anthony, you should try your hand at grafting. Now would be the perfect time to gather cuttings from your favorite tree.
thanks for the encouragement, Bob. Not sure if my seedlings are ready for it...they are really thin, only a couple mm. They're not quite 1 year old yet, technically.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »
the Gainseville #1 branches I grafted onto small inground seedlings, seem to have taken.

I guess it was a blessing that the branches broke!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
Pawpaw Pollination

This picture is of a pawpaw flower in the receptive stage. The petals are cut away to expose the sexual parts. The large green mass at the bottom is the immature anthers. There are 5 stigma protruding up through mass. If pollinated there is a possibility of 5 fruit. A flower with only say three stigma will develop only three fruit if all are pollinated.
When the petals are still green, the flower is not receptive (female). You want the petals to turn maroon (some green showing is okay). You want the stigmas to be swollen and glisten. The petals will be rather tight. The ball of anthers will be green and tight. When the flower changes to the male stage, the petals flare out more widely, petal color can be darker; the ball of anthers darken and loosen and begin releasing pollen.

The next picture is of a flower which is past the receptive stage and the anthers have matured. The green mass has turned gray and if you look closely pollen is on the petals. The problem is getting this pollen to flowers that are receptive.

This is easy to do. Most flowers hang up side down. Simply take a small bottle such as a prescription bottle hold it under the flower and rake the anthers which contain pollen into the bottle. Be careful to not break off the stigma and ovary which is under the anther mass. Don't worry about separating the pollen from the anthers. Now take a Q-tip or tiny paint brush pull off some of the cotton, not all, Then twist into a smaller ball, dip into the pollen mix and touch to the stigma of receptive flowers. You will get anthers and pollen, but the flower doesn't care and the pollen will find the stigma. Pollen isn't available when the first flowers open due to the delay of maturing anthers. But again that is no problem as the bloom period is nearly two weeks. So don't try pollinating until several days after the first flowers open.

Thank you for the excellent pollination info--- maybe someday I'll get lucky enough to use it, such as when I visit Alabama!
Har

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2015, 02:55:03 AM »
Long way from any joy, but I have a Maria's Joy and a Susquehanna planted earlier this spring...

Ed, what would you say the difference was between Susquehanna and Wabash in terms of flavor?

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
Discovered a volunteer paw-paw (?) growing too close to my greenhouse.  :-\

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 09:01:29 AM »
Looks like you found your self an A. pygmaea!

Discovered a volunteer paw-paw (?) growing too close to my greenhouse.  :-\

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2015, 09:11:40 AM »
I have only fruited Wabash so far from Peterson Pawpaws. I have several Susquehanna plants that should fruit next year. Wabash has been my all time favorite versus all of the older selected pawpaws. I have removed all varieties that I was growing and now only grow the Peterson selections. I have been told by several sources that i am going to like Susquehanna even better than Wabash. When they were all released years ago I bought all of the selections but Wabash was the only survivor and reliable producer for me. So we shall see I'm trying the other ones here in Central Texas now.

Ed
Long way from any joy, but I have a Maria's Joy and a Susquehanna planted earlier this spring...

Ed, what would you say the difference was between Susquehanna and Wabash in terms of flavor?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
Galka,

nice find!

save the seeds (or collect as many seeds as possible)

those wild pawpaws can be valuable for sale or trade!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »
Galka,

nice find!

save the seeds (or collect as many seeds as possible)

those wild pawpaws can be valuable for sale or trade!
Sure, I will. I just looked and it seems the little guy got pollinated. Should I protect it from critters and how? Also maybe I should give it some kind of support. It's lying on the ground.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »
yes, there are many ways to protect the fruits...

i would wait for them to get larger, and then try to protect them.

I've seen small bags used (usually breathable, mesh, or screen), or even the clam shell packages that you get strawberries (blueberries) in, from the store.

they can be clamped down right onto the branch tip, over the immature fruits.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com