Author Topic: Wanted Guanabana Fruit Or Fresh Seeds. Also Annona montana Seeds Tree  (Read 16941 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Hello Gang;

Looking To Buy Fresh Guanabana Fruit Or Fresh Seeds.
Also Looking For Annona montana Seeds Or Tree .
Thank You Ed...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:33:23 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Guanabana Fruit Or Fresh Seeds.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
I would say trade winds but they don't exactly have fresh seeds, check fruit lovers though they usually have fresh seeds. regards-PM
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Thank You PM...
Zone 10

PedalaiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:24 PM »
My pleasure EdZone9

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:41:39 AM »
There are tons of soursop seeds on ebay... search for soursop (same as guanbana)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:42:11 AM »
Hello Gang;

Looking To Buy Fresh Guanabana Fruit Or Fresh Seeds.
Thank You Ed...

I'm eating some guanabanas right now, so have very fresh seeds.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
Thanks For the Info..
Zone 10

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »
Take a road trip, ;D. The fruit market near my mothers house has plenty of soursop. My girlfreind and I have bought several in the past few weeks. Broward county might be a bit of a drive for you though. I have plenty of seeds left over from last week and a half a fruit in the fridge right now.

Will soursop seeds loose viability if the fruit is stored in the fridge?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:00:20 PM »
Hello Acoff-87.

If You Have any Seeds to spare i will buy them from you ;)..
Thank You..

P.s are you in Miami Area ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:22:20 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »
Take a road trip, ;D. The fruit market near my mothers house has plenty of soursop. My girlfreind and I have bought several in the past few weeks. Broward county might be a bit of a drive for you though. I have plenty of seeds left over from last week and a half a fruit in the fridge right now.

What fruit market is that?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »
While growing seeds is fun/nice, why not save yourself the time and guesswork and buy a grafted plant.  When you go with a grafted plant, you will have the benefit of not only knowing what the parent it came from is and what it will turn out to be but you will also get the benefits, growth habit speaking, of a grafted plant.  Excalibur has 3 gallon grafted soursop from an excellent tasting "variety" that has low cotton and low seed count (yes, I know it is not a true named variety but the tree the budwood is taken from consistently puts out fruit with the aforementioned qualities).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 02:17:33 AM »

No, soursop seeds will not lose viability if stored in fridge, but fruit must not freeze up. Store it in produce section of your fridge.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:21:21 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 02:33:02 AM »
While growing seeds is fun/nice, why not save yourself the time and guesswork and buy a grafted plant.  When you go with a grafted plant, you will have the benefit of not only knowing what the parent it came from is and what it will turn out to be but you will also get the benefits, growth habit speaking, of a grafted plant.  Excalibur has 3 gallon grafted soursop from an excellent tasting "variety" that has low cotton and low seed count (yes, I know it is not a true named variety but the tree the budwood is taken from consistently puts out fruit with the aforementioned qualities).

I couldn't agree more with bsb. Its one thing if you lived somewhere where soursop might not grow well, but in south florida I bet grafted soursop are cheap and easy to find. If you are going to invest your time and effort to grow something might as well be sure it's going to be worth your while. No offense meant just my two cents :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 02:41:19 AM »

I couldn't agree more with bsb. Its one thing if you lived somewhere where soursop might not grow well, but in south florida I bet grafted soursop are cheap and easy to find. If you are going to invest your time and effort to grow something might as well be sure it's going to be worth your while. No offense meant just my two cents :)

I disagree. This is a fruit that fruits very rapidly from seed: 2-3 years if well fertilized. Also seeds taken from superior trees are going to give you superior fruits. This is the reason that almost all nurseries sell seedling guanabanas. The exception would be named cultivars that are really excellent quality, those would be best grafted. But to sell a grafted seedling is just a marketing ploy in this case in my opinion. Grafted plants are a lot more expensive than seedling plants, so whenever possible nurseries will ofcourse push their grafted plants, they make a lot more profit from them.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »

I disagree. This is a fruit that fruits very rapidly from seed: 2-3 years if well fertilized. Also seeds taken from superior trees are going to give you superior fruits. This is the reason that almost all nurseries sell seedling guanabanas. The exception would be named cultivars that are really excellent quality, those would be best grafted. But to sell a grafted seedling is just a marketing ploy in this case in my opinion. Grafted plants are a lot more expensive than seedling plants, so whenever possible nurseries will of course push their grafted plants, they make a lot more profit from them.
I disagree, as you may already know.  The growth habit of a grafted plant is superior and I have tasted variability in fruit produced from seedlings, much of it not good.  Correct, and like I said, these grafted soursop are NOT a named variety but the quality of the fruit off the "mother tree" was exceptional so why not reproduce it and reap the benefits...

Just for $hits and giggles, you mention the time factor...jackfruit seedlings will also fruit faster than a grafted plant but what would most rather have?  Grafted plants have a more desirable growth habit and if the budwood came from a tree with exceptional quality fruit, whether a named variety or a seedling itself, you know what you will be getting.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »
I Have afew Guanabana babay Trees that i picked up From Adam ;) Thank You Adam !
But Would Like To Grow Some Seeds, Grow Some Trees To Give To Friends & Family, I have Some Family Memebers Who are seeking The Leaves Of The Guanabana Plants To Make Tea, So Far I Found One Seller On Ebay From The Virgin Islands Who Is Selling Them 70 Leave Lots .

I have placed an order & had them shipped straight To My Family Members who needs them.
So I Figure ill grow my own Guanabana Trees & Save some Money Purchasing Tree Leaves.

And yes i have to Visit  Excalibur Sounds like a cool place to pick-up some nice trees .
Once i get a work assignment this week i will go only as far as Daytona.

Thanks All For Your Help..

P.s will have to try Oscars Seeds From The Bid Island ! Sounds like a great place to Live ! Aloha!!
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
Rob Do You Have Mountain Guanabana Tree ? ( Annona montana )..
Zone 10

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Guanabana Fruit Or Fresh Seeds. Also Annona montana Seeds Tree
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
The market I often visit is right next to Delaware Chicken, off 441 and sterling rd in Hollywood. A bit pricey but convenient, an average soursop is 6-8 dollars a pound.

Thanks for the seed viability info.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »

I disagree. This is a fruit that fruits very rapidly from seed: 2-3 years if well fertilized. Also seeds taken from superior trees are going to give you superior fruits. This is the reason that almost all nurseries sell seedling guanabanas. The exception would be named cultivars that are really excellent quality, those would be best grafted. But to sell a grafted seedling is just a marketing ploy in this case in my opinion. Grafted plants are a lot more expensive than seedling plants, so whenever possible nurseries will of course push their grafted plants, they make a lot more profit from them.
I disagree, as you may already know.  The growth habit of a grafted plant is superior and I have tasted variability in fruit produced from seedlings, much of it not good.  Correct, and like I said, these grafted soursop are NOT a named variety but the quality of the fruit off the "mother tree" was exceptional so why not reproduce it and reap the benefits...

Just for $hits and giggles, you mention the time factor...jackfruit seedlings will also fruit faster than a grafted plant but what would most rather have?  Grafted plants have a more desirable growth habit and if the budwood came from a tree with exceptional quality fruit, whether a named variety or a seedling itself, you know what you will be getting.

Hi Rob, i think there are benefits and disadvantages to both approaches. I think a grafted guanabana plant will stay smaller, so more suited to growing in a pot. If you are planting in the ground the seedling will usually form a much better root system and be more productive. About your comparison with jackfruit, i have noticed a lot more variation in jacks planted from seed than with soursop. Also a jack usually takes a lot longer to fruit from seed than a soursop, so not a good comparison. Also with jacks there are usually so many good cultivars to choose from. Not usually the case with soursops.
Oscar

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »
I'd rather have grafted plants myself. The local asian market sells cherimoya from seedling plants and they're often lousy! Some smell like vomit and have at least 60 seeds per fruit!! The seed ratio greatly outnumbers the flesh! feels more like eating the seed coating lol.  It's very easy to distinguish grafted cherimoya fruit from non cherimoya fruit.  I am not sure if that passes over to soursop, though I have heard people mention grafted varieties are superior.

Regarding price. Once you know how to graft, it's a very simple, easy process. That really shouldn't add much cost to the finished plant. On another post I mentioned a "orton" cherimoya tree I almost bought from a local nursery. I had ordered in in late 2011 and they called me up to let me know they had my trees this march. To my dismay.. they were seedlings! No graft union.. They were $60 each. Ridiculous! I passed. Price doesn't always depend on if it's grafted. The nursery owner seemed puzzled at why I wanted grafted cherimoya.  If I had access to budwood for some of the rare stuff I've grown from seed I would graft it in a heartbeat!

Regarding the Soursop that BSB is mentioning. It sounds like a good cultivar, even though it has not officially been named.  I've actually grown some soursop from seeds I purchased on ebay. I figure no harm done because they will probably never do great in my climate but they might make a nice novelty houseplant during winter months.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 08:55:35 PM »
I'd rather have grafted plants myself. The local asian market sells cherimoya from seedling plants and they're often lousy! Some smell like vomit and have at least 60 seeds per fruit!! The seed ratio greatly outnumbers the flesh! feels more like eating the seed coating lol.  It's very easy to distinguish grafted cherimoya fruit from non cherimoya fruit.  I am not sure if that passes over to soursop, though I have heard people mention grafted varieties are superior.

I had the same view of seedling cherimoyas until this year. I've had the opportunity to sample some 10-15 different seedlings and with the exception of a few the majority have been very good to excellent. One of those excellent seedlings is our friend Behl's seedling in Corona. If you are in SoCal and are undecided what variety to purchase I would grow one from seed and in 3 years you'll have your very own excellent variety.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »

Hi Rob, i think there are benefits and disadvantages to both approaches. I think a grafted guanabana plant will stay smaller, so more suited to growing in a pot. If you are planting in the ground the seedling will usually form a much better root system and be more productive. About your comparison with jackfruit, i have noticed a lot more variation in jacks planted from seed than with soursop. Also a jack usually takes a lot longer to fruit from seed than a soursop, so not a good comparison. Also with jacks there are usually so many good cultivars to choose from. Not usually the case with soursops.
Either I said it poorly or you missed my point...I was comparing seedling jaks with grafted jaks.  Seedling jacks have been known to produce in as little as 3 years while grafted jacks often take 4+ years to fruit.  I wasn't comparing jaks directly to soursop.

Also, in a iffy climate like much of Broward County North, and even inland Miami-Dade, a grafted soursop, in keeping with a more compact growth habit would be easier to protect from cold snaps if/when planted in the ground.  Case and point...I was at Lara Farms today and Julian was saying how these cold snaps are hurting his soursops that are planted in the ground.  His planted tree(s), which are seedlings, are too big to protect.
- Rob

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »
I have Some Family Memebers Who are seeking The Leaves Of The Guanabana Plants To Make Tea

ed - I read an article on negative health impact of eating seeds/flesh/bark from annonas (particularly Cherimoya) - are there known health risks/benefits of consuming the leaves?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 01:03:30 AM »
I have Some Family Memebers Who are seeking The Leaves Of The Guanabana Plants To Make Tea

ed - I read an article on negative health impact of eating seeds/flesh/bark from annonas (particularly Cherimoya) - are there known health risks/benefits of consuming the leaves?
The leaves of soursop specifically, not all Annona leaves.  Since I do not want to promote/influence in either direction, if you are curious I suggest google and you will find various articles/reports.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 01:56:50 AM »
The leaves and seeds of soursop both contain high levels of annonacin, which has been linked to Parkinson's disease in some studies. Some people claim soursop prevents cancer. Both claims could be true. But like with many medicines you have to take just the proper dosage, or it can be very harmful. So unless you really know what you're doing and know exact doses, then i suggest staying away from drinking soursop leaf tea. I don't consider it a recreational tea.  ::)
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »
Hello Oscar;

Thanks for the info it is appreciated.
I did read about the Soursop fruit May Cause Parkinson's disease or symptoms like,.
But i also read the soursop tree leaves 3 at a time in tea can help some folks with cancer.

I read the doses should be 3 leaves tea 2 times per-day , i would like to consult a health pro to see if taking 3 leaves in tea 2 times perday will be ok or would it cause more damage , i have a family member who was diagnosed with early stage cancer , & all of the resaech that iv done on-line pertaining to the soursop leaves look positive , so trying to help a family member cope with this .
I am still going to consult a nutritionist to see if those doses are ok.

Thanks for your help all !

Ed..
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »
Hello Oscar;

I did read about the Soursop fruit May Cause Parkinson's disease or symptoms like,.
But i also read the soursop tree leaves 3 at a time in tea can help some folks with cancer.

I read the doses should be 3 leaves tea 2 times per-day , i would like to consult a health pro to see if taking 3 leaves in tea 2 times perday will be ok or would it cause more damage , i have a family member who was diagnosed with early stage cancer , & all of the resaech that iv done on-line pertaining to the soursop leaves look positive , so trying to help a family member cope with this .

Ed..
I don't think you will find many health pros giving advice on drinking tea made from soursop leaves.  I also don't think a nutritionist would have all the correct answers, IF there are any correct answers.  This has not been properly tested to a point where true actual/factual advice is given.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
Hello Oscar;

Ed..
I don't think you will find many health pros giving advice on drinking tea made from soursop leaves.  I also don't think a nutritionist would have all the correct answers, IF there are any correct answers.  This has not been properly tested to a point where true actual/factual advice is given.

Depends on what he means by a health pro. If he means a doctor no doubt they will advise against it. But then doctors will advise against almost ANY herbal treatment. They only believe in pharmaceutical drugs. I would think the best person to consult would be an herbalist. But they are few and far between. Suggest looking at some of the authors of respected and well researched herbal books and try to consult with them.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »
Thank You ! ....
Zone 10

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
I have some fresh seeds of annona montana if you are still looking for them..
Daniel

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »
Hello Oscar;

Ed..

Depends on what he means by a health pro. If he means a doctor no doubt they will advise against it. But then doctors will advise against almost ANY herbal treatment. They only believe in pharmaceutical drugs. I would think the best person to consult would be an herbalist. But they are few and far between. Suggest looking at some of the authors of respected and well researched herbal books and try to consult with them.
Oscar, that is what I meant...and I agree with your recommendations 100%.
- Rob

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
I have some fresh graviola/guanabana seeds for sale from a fantastic fruit I ate recently.  The fruit was sweet and the flesh was nice and soft.  The fruit was approximately 3 kilos (over 6 pounds).
Just send me a private email.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:13:52 PM by Berto »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Hello Members;

Just an update on the Guanabana Leaves used in Tea for my aunt who was diagnosed with early stage of cancer , i immediately had a supplier of guanabana leaves in the USVI supply her with leaves for her tea , she consumed approx 3-4 leaves per-Day 2 times per-day .

She had surgery of the effected area , & Today the lab work came in Negative ! , the cancer did Not Spread & she does not need Chemo ! .

Dont know if the tea helped Only The Big guy in the sky knows , but im very thankfull everything is fine for the time being. she will continue the tea infusions..

Thanks again every-one... Ed..
Zone 10

PedalaiMaster

• View Profile
Good for you Ed,the cure just might be soursop... maybe junglesop (Annonidium mannii) too or groundsop (Annona stenophylla), or mountiansop( Annona montana, syn. Annona marcgravii), etc...

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Dont know if its the cure , i sure hope so , for the sake of millions of people .
But i wonder what was found in the study that was shelved in the 70s

What-ever the case maybe , if the leaves helped a bit , i am greatfull to the Guanabana !
Thanks again ed..
Zone 10

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I think the whole plant kingdom has been shelved by the medical and pharmaceuitical profession. They have no interest in it except if they can copy cat some natural product, turn it into a pill, and patent it.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
I Agree 100% , greed is the root of all evil ! .
How can they sleep at night knowing that lil kids and adults suffer from this globally !.
And the cure might be in our back yards ...
Zone 10

bitepourrie

• Philippines Tarlac Concepcion
    • View Profile
Have annona montana seeds available . Note we use annona montana annona glabra and annona muricata leaf extract for cancer cure here locally and it works well

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Have mercy berto!

I have some fresh graviola/guanabana seeds for sale from a fantastic fruit I ate recently.  The fruit was sweet and the flesh was nice and soft.  The fruit was approximately 3 kilos (over 6 pounds).
Just send me a private email.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Amen!  Aleluia! 
You are on the right track my son! Heaven is waiting for us....ahahahahahahahahaah ;D ;D ;D
Just send me a private email, and I will send you some seeds!  8)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile

My Mother-InLay just shipped my the seeds of this Giant Colombian Guanabana , Near 10LBS;)..

Ed..

Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk