Author Topic: Shipping from California to other states  (Read 3318 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Shipping from California to other states
« on: May 04, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
[note: I appologize in advance if this should be moved to another forum section - please do not hesitate to do so if this post doesn't belong here]

After dealing with the Ca Dept of Agriculture on a couple of issues, I have several questions for anyone shipping fruiting plants/trees out of California into other states that are most likely best answered in PM.

1. How do you get around requirement of phyto cert (legally)?

2. What conditions are best for meeting legal requirements (i.e. bareroot, soil-less medium, etc)?

3. Are there plant/tree species/genus that should just be avoided all together (i.e. citrus)?

4. Is there a "Cliff's Notes" version of the rules & regs for interstate transport of regulated plant material?

Thanks in advance,

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Shipping from California to other states
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »
[note: I appologize in advance if this should be moved to another forum section - please do not hesitate to do so if this post doesn't belong here]

After dealing with the Ca Dept of Agriculture on a couple of issues, I have several questions for anyone shipping fruiting plants/trees out of California into other states that are most likely best answered in PM.

2. What conditions are best for meeting legal requirements (i.e. bareroot, soil-less medium, etc)?

3. Are there plant/tree species/genus that should just be avoided all together (i.e. citrus)?

4. Is there a "Cliff's Notes" version of the rules & regs for interstate transport of regulated plant material?

Thanks in advance,

Answer depends on what state you are shipping to, and what you are shipping? Generally speaking the toughest 4 states are California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana. These 4 states require a nematode certificate, which means the plants have to have been grown in sterile medium and certified to have been done so by your own state (prior inspection).
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 03:42:51 AM »
Considering the $40.30 that California wants for an inspection & certificate (per shipment), I was hoping there was a "simple" way around these rules.  I have what I believe to be the full regulations -- for example, Arizona does not appear to require that shipments from California include a Nematode inspection (although several other inspections are required depending, as you said, on what material and species is being shipped), while it does require a Nematode inspection from 10 other states + Puerto Rico:

Quote from: Arizona Regulations
IX. NEMATODE PEST R3-4-234

STATES REGULATED:
1. The states of Florida and Hawaii,
2. The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
3. In Alabama, the counties of Autauga, Baldwin, Barbour, Bibb, Blount, Bullock, Butler,
Chambers, Cherokee, Chilton, Choctaw, Clarke, Clay, Cleburne, Coffee, Colbert,
Conecuh, Coosa, Dale, Dallas, DeKalb, Elmore, Escambia, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin,
Geneva, Houston, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Lee, Limestone,
Lowndes, Macon, Madison, Marengo, Marion, Marshall, Montgomery, Morgan, Perry,
Pickens, Pike, Randolph, Saint Clair, Shelby, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa,
Tuscaloosa, Walker, Washington, Wilcox, and Winston.
4. In Arkansas, the counties of Ashley, Jefferson, Lonoke, and Monroe.
5. In Georgia, the counties of Baker, Banks, Barrow, Bartow, Ben Hill, Berrien,
Bleckeley, Brooks, Bulloch, Burke, Calhoun, Candler, Catoosa, Charlton, Clarke, Clay,
Coffee, Colquitt, Cook, Crisp, Decatur, Dodge, Dooly, Dougherty, Early, Echols,
Elbert, Emanuel, Franklin, Gordon, Grady, Hall, Hart, Houston, Jeff Davis, Jefferson,
Jenkins, Johnson, Laurens, Lee, Macon, Marion, Miller, Mitchell, Montgomery,
Morgan, Newton, Oconee, Peach, Pierce, Pulaski, Randolph, Richmond, Schley,
Screven, Seminole, Stewart, Sumter, Tattnall, Taylor, Terrell, Thomas, Tift, Tombs,
Turner, Twiggs, Walker, Walton, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Webster, Wheeler,
Wilcox, and Worth.
6. In Louisiana, the parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Avoyelles, Beauregard,
Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Caldwell, Catahoula, Concordia, East Baton Rouge, East
Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson,
Lafayette, Lafourche, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Orleans, Ouachita,
Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Saint Bernard,
Saint Charles, Saint Helena, Saint John the Baptist, Saint Landry, Saint Tammany,
Tangipahoa, Tensas, Terrebonne, West Baton Rouge, West Carroll, and Winn.
7. In Mississippi, the counties of Adams, Alcorn, Attala, Benton, Bolivar, Calhoun,
Carroll, Chickasaw, Coahoma, Copiah, Covington, DeSoto, Forrest, George, Greene,
Grenada, Hancock, Harrison, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Itawamba,
Jackson, Jones, Lafayette, Lee, Leflore, Lowndes, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Monroe,
Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Panola, Perry, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Quitman, Rankin, Scott,
Sharkey, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tippah, Tunica, Union, Warren, Washington,
Yalobusha, and Yazoo.
8. In North Carolina, the counties of, Cumberland, Harnett, Hoke, Johnston, Richmond,
Robeson, Sampson, and Scotland.
9. In the state of South Carolina, the counties of, Calhoun, Clarendon, Darlington, Dillon,
Florence, Kershaw, Lee, Marlboro, Orangeburg, Sumter, and Williamsburg.
10. In the state of Texas, the counties of, Brazos, Burleson, Cameron, Fort Bend, Hidalgo,
Lynn, Robertson, Starr, Terry, Wharton, and Willacy.

MATERIALS REGULATED:
1. Soil
2. Plants with roots, including bulbs, corms, tubers, rhizomes, and stolons
3. Plant cuttings for propagation

It took me several hours to get through Arizona's regs today and would appear that absent noxious weeds, lettuce & citrus (which appears to be too much of a pain to ship into AZ) shipments from CA must be inspected for SCALE INSECT PESTS R3-4-226 (dependant on commodity), WHITEFLY PESTS R3-4-238 (dependent on commodity) and GLASSY-WINGED SHARPSHOOTER (GWSS) (originating from a large portion of the state of CA and a huge number of host plants).

Given the amount of information for each state, I was hoping there was a more manageable means of navigating the regulations - especially in regards to small (ie < 10 plants) shipments.  It would appear that many California nurseries have either found a "loophole" or are ignoring the law, as the charge for certificates is not being passed along to the buyer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:45:42 AM by PltdWorld »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:21:18 AM »
Considering the $40.30 that California wants for an inspection & certificate (per shipment), I was hoping there was a "simple" way around these rules.  I have what I believe to be the full regulations -- for example, Arizona does not appear to require that shipments from California include a Nematode inspection (although several other inspections are required depending, as you said, on what material and species is being shipped), while it does require a Nematode inspection from 10 other states + Puerto Rico:

Quote from: Arizona Regulations
IX. NEMATODE PEST R3-4-234

STATES REGULATED:
1. The states of Florida and Hawaii,
2. The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
3. In Alabama, the counties of Autauga, Baldwin, Barbour, Bibb, Blount, Bullock, Butler,
Chambers, Cherokee, Chilton, Choctaw, Clarke, Clay, Cleburne, Coffee, Colbert,
Conecuh, Coosa, Dale, Dallas, DeKalb, Elmore, Escambia, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin,
Geneva, Houston, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Lee, Limestone,
Lowndes, Macon, Madison, Marengo, Marion, Marshall, Montgomery, Morgan, Perry,
Pickens, Pike, Randolph, Saint Clair, Shelby, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa,
Tuscaloosa, Walker, Washington, Wilcox, and Winston.
4. In Arkansas, the counties of Ashley, Jefferson, Lonoke, and Monroe.
5. In Georgia, the counties of Baker, Banks, Barrow, Bartow, Ben Hill, Berrien,
Bleckeley, Brooks, Bulloch, Burke, Calhoun, Candler, Catoosa, Charlton, Clarke, Clay,
Coffee, Colquitt, Cook, Crisp, Decatur, Dodge, Dooly, Dougherty, Early, Echols,
Elbert, Emanuel, Franklin, Gordon, Grady, Hall, Hart, Houston, Jeff Davis, Jefferson,
Jenkins, Johnson, Laurens, Lee, Macon, Marion, Miller, Mitchell, Montgomery,
Morgan, Newton, Oconee, Peach, Pierce, Pulaski, Randolph, Richmond, Schley,
Screven, Seminole, Stewart, Sumter, Tattnall, Taylor, Terrell, Thomas, Tift, Tombs,
Turner, Twiggs, Walker, Walton, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Webster, Wheeler,
Wilcox, and Worth.
6. In Louisiana, the parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Avoyelles, Beauregard,
Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Caldwell, Catahoula, Concordia, East Baton Rouge, East
Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson,
Lafayette, Lafourche, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Orleans, Ouachita,
Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Saint Bernard,
Saint Charles, Saint Helena, Saint John the Baptist, Saint Landry, Saint Tammany,
Tangipahoa, Tensas, Terrebonne, West Baton Rouge, West Carroll, and Winn.
7. In Mississippi, the counties of Adams, Alcorn, Attala, Benton, Bolivar, Calhoun,
Carroll, Chickasaw, Coahoma, Copiah, Covington, DeSoto, Forrest, George, Greene,
Grenada, Hancock, Harrison, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Itawamba,
Jackson, Jones, Lafayette, Lee, Leflore, Lowndes, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Monroe,
Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Panola, Perry, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Quitman, Rankin, Scott,
Sharkey, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tippah, Tunica, Union, Warren, Washington,
Yalobusha, and Yazoo.
8. In North Carolina, the counties of, Cumberland, Harnett, Hoke, Johnston, Richmond,
Robeson, Sampson, and Scotland.
9. In the state of South Carolina, the counties of, Calhoun, Clarendon, Darlington, Dillon,
Florence, Kershaw, Lee, Marlboro, Orangeburg, Sumter, and Williamsburg.
10. In the state of Texas, the counties of, Brazos, Burleson, Cameron, Fort Bend, Hidalgo,
Lynn, Robertson, Starr, Terry, Wharton, and Willacy.

MATERIALS REGULATED:
1. Soil
2. Plants with roots, including bulbs, corms, tubers, rhizomes, and stolons
3. Plant cuttings for propagation

It took me several hours to get through Arizona's regs today and would appear that absent noxious weeds, lettuce & citrus (which appears to be too much of a pain to ship into AZ) shipments from CA must be inspected for SCALE INSECT PESTS R3-4-226 (dependant on commodity), WHITEFLY PESTS R3-4-238 (dependent on commodity) and GLASSY-WINGED SHARPSHOOTER (GWSS) (originating from a large portion of the state of CA and a huge number of host plants).

Given the amount of information for each state, I was hoping there was a more manageable means of navigating the regulations - especially in regards to small (ie < 10 plants) shipments. It would appear that many California nurseries have either found a "loophole" or are ignoring the law, as the charge for certificates is not being passed along to the buyer.

Certified nurseries have their own stamp they put on packages. They don't have every single package inspected by ag. That would be crippling.
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »
Certified nurseries have their own stamp they put on packages. They don't have every single package inspected by ag. That would be crippling.

Thanks Oscar... that has me back on the right track!

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »

Thanks in advance,
Have you ever thought about building a trebuchet?

Build one, take it the the border between Nevada and California, load up your plants, and launch them across state lines. 8) 8)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:16:03 PM »
That's a terrific idea!  It does not surprise me that it would come from a fellow Venturan!

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
L- to the O- to the L !!!!!  :o ;D ;D ;D
✌🏽

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk