Author Topic: Cleanup after the freeze in Orlando area  (Read 1560 times)

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
Cleanup after the freeze in Orlando area
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:51:50 PM »
Ok, so I got hammered like most of us, and the blankets and protection I tried using didn't work for the tropicals I had in the ground.

No big loss since most of my plants were from seed and experimental at best, but now what do I do with my bananas, papayas and seedling mangos?

One of my bananas was about 5ft tall, the rest were about 3ft tall.  Do I remove the dead leaves, chop down the stalk or just let it be to provide protection, though it would be limited, to any pups that start coming out, or will the 5ft plant start to push new growth out?

As for the papaya, do I strip off the dead leaves and keep the main stalk in hopes of it coming back?  I had about 8 papayas that were about 2 feet tall and just starting to flower.

The mangos that I lost were all about 1.5 years old and less than 2ft tall (mainly altaufo).  They were small but bushy and leafy.  Do I just leave them in the grounds in hope they'll pop back up or just dig em out.

Lastly I had 3 seedling grapefruit.  1 looks to be completely fried but the other 2 only lost the new growth flush.  I assume I trim that back and those should bounce back, or is there something else.

One more - since its been so dry out lately, should I water now that we're back into the '70s or try to keep them in a bit of a hibernated state in fear of another frost/freeze happening.

Thanks

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Cleanup after the freeze in Orlando area
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:00:55 PM »
We have another cold front coming in on Sunday (I believe) where my area will hit the mid 40s. Since you're north of me, it might get cooler in your area. My train of thought is that these dead/damaged limbs will protect whats alive if anything. I'd wait after this last cold front come in. I know its unsightly. My banana core where new leaves emerge is green so there is hope it will continue where it left off. Some of my mango trees leaves looked like tanned colored poinsettias. Leave em untouched. When warmer weather comes you'll see whats alive with new growth and can remove from there.

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »
I posted my issues on the what survived and what didnt thread. I am out here in East Orlando and took a beating from this. I havent heard this new front is going to be as bad as the super cold one we just had. I just got all of my potted stuff back outside this afternoon out of my garage.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
I wouldn't give up on anything, The bananas will come back. The bad news is if they frost back
every winter you will never get fruit.  You can always dig them up later but we definitely are not
out of the woods yet this winter. My extended weather forecast says 39F Sunday night. Hopefully
no lower because this year I have been running 2 degrees colder then the forecast, ugh 37F close to
frost temps and it's trending lower.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
Your bananas will recover, may even fruit this summer.  Little fertilizer, potassium and water, it'll bounce right back.  Why not look at some of the cold tolerant bananas?  There are a few. 

Other stuff?  Your citrus will probably be OK.  Seedlings though?  Why bother? 

My opinion and it is only mine, is that water helps relieve stress.

Mango and papaya, I'm only guessing, but I'd bet they'll be OK. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:13:41 AM »
Just FYI - looks like Monday morning January 15 is going to be cold

and Thursday morning January 18 is going to reeeeeally cold. Definitely not out of the woods yet, especially up there

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:29:38 AM by dwfl »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:55:52 AM »
At this point, aside from covering the mangoes again and mounding their bases in hopes of mitigation I cant see more damage being done than has already been inflicted.