Author Topic: Rooting Purple Mombin cutting  (Read 1547 times)

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
Rooting Purple Mombin cutting
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had experience in rooting purple mombin cuttings and can explain the best process. I have seen videos for other plants and trees using rooting hormone and planting it in soil. Others show rooting in water first. Which method works best? Also can't see to find whether all or some rooting hormone are safe for edible plants as far as not being toxic.

Thanks

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting Purple Mombin cutting
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »
Theres not much science to root a purple mombin, these specie is one of the
Easiest ones,here they use them to hold the fences in the fields,just cut them
Stick them in the ground and soon they start to send new shoots ,in a year theres a little tree, all you need is semi hard or hard wood, put half inside the ground or pot, with good drainage and 50% shade maybe you can bag it or look at the topic here in the forum "how thanks to Pepsi I have root many cuttings" thats very helpfull, one thing is you need to hurry I see you are in california and to promote rooting you need temps above 23 celsius,so take advantage of your summer now!
El verde es vida!

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »
I just put a 3 foot long piece in a tall pot with perlite and some potting soil half and half. covered with a plastic bag and had fruit the next summer. I have a greenhouse and the winter probably got down to the mid 40's.

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:10:09 PM »
Thanks Raul & Mark, that is good info. I was hoping I could root green cuttings. Have any of you tried green instead of hardwood?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk