Author Topic: Mamey sapote  (Read 12470 times)

Tropic_Al

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Mamey sapote
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:26:41 PM »

I've never seen mamey before, so I was excited to see one in my local grocery store and finally have the chance to taste it. As soon as, I cut into it; I knew that it was no good. The damn thing was mummified! It was the last one, so it's not like I had any to choose from. To add insult to injury, I paid $7 for it, grrr.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Mamey sapote
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
My friend, this mamey this horrible!

Here some pictures of my!

They are delicious I have eaten a fruit a day, I have 140 trees in full production.

Good luck on your next purchase, a fruit that I love

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »
Yes good luck next time. I've had good ones from markets here. I think at least one of the nurseries has fruiting trees too.
Shane

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:28:15 PM »
Those two aren't Mamey (I mean Mamey sapote)  they are a different fruit call here Chico Sapote    or  Sapodilla in other places (Manilkara Sapota)  both fruits are tasty but very different.
El verde es vida!

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 10:59:51 PM »
Those two aren't Mamey (I mean Mamey sapote)  they are a different fruit call here Chico Sapote    or  Sapodilla in other places (Manilkara Sapota)  both fruits are tasty but very different.

Do chico seeds get that big?
Shane

Tropic_Al

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:20:58 AM »
l'm familiar with Chico, I grew up eating them. The one I bought pictured above is definitely not a Chico. Plus, if you enlarge the first photo, it actually says mamey on the label.

Tropic_Al

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:23:17 AM »
My friend, this mamey this horrible!

Here some pictures of my!

They are delicious I have eaten a fruit a day, I have 140 trees in full production.

Good luck on your next purchase, a fruit that I love

Yours looks juicy. I bet it's delicious! Maybe next time, lol.

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:31:21 AM »
Is Mamey Sapote one of those fruts you really want a named variety? Or is your average mystery seedling likely to still be decent quality? I just won a Mamey Sapote seedling as a CRFG meeting raffle prize so I'm curious what my chances of getting good fruit are without having to graft

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »
My wife and I were very curious too last year, and bought one at our local market for like $3.99/lbs.

The taste was very disappointing to us: tasteless, bland. One member said it taste like a boiled carrot; and I would say that's about how I would describe it myself. Did we buy it at the wrong season?

Sam

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:06:36 AM »

Do chico seeds get that big?
No they don't. That's definitely a mamey sapote, not chico.
Oscar

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 11:24:58 AM »
Is Mamey Sapote one of those fruts you really want a named variety? Or is your average mystery seedling likely to still be decent quality? I just won a Mamey Sapote seedling as a CRFG meeting raffle prize so I'm curious what my chances of getting good fruit are without having to graft

i am curious also.
i remember hearing seed grown is often very close to the parent
but, i would like to have someone else confirm this ?

especially since i have a tree going on 4 yrs now... LOL

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »
greenman62, those mountains don't look like NOLA to me!

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 09:53:10 PM »
My wife and I were very curious too last year, and bought one at our local market for like $3.99/lbs.

The taste was very disappointing to us: tasteless, bland. One member said it taste like a boiled carrot; and I would say that's about how I would describe it myself. Did we buy it at the wrong season?

Fairly close to sweet potato to me. Nice, but not worth growing.
Shane

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »

Sam
I'll give you heads up when the Guerrero mamey come along. I got them for .79lb one year right there in superior by your house.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »
Mamey sapote should taste a lot better than "boiled carrots." A properly ripened mamey sapote of a high quality cultivar should taste like caramel with a hint of vanilla and a ton of brix. Absolute heaven.
Jeff  :-)

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »
The mamey I tried in Tampa tasted to me like pumpkin or sweet potatoe pie, only with a hint of tropical citrus flavor. One of the most delicious fruits I have tasted. I wish I could eat them more often, but I don't think I'll be able to find them anywhere in Michigan, as most of the latino markets here are of Mexican or Guatemalan origin, rather than Cuban or Puerto Rican origin, where the fruit is most popular.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »
The mamey I tried in Tampa tasted to me like pumpkin or sweet potatoe pie, only with a hint of tropical citrus flavor. One of the most delicious fruits I have tasted. I wish I could eat them more often, but I don't think I'll be able to find them anywhere in Michigan, as most of the latino markets here are of Mexican or Guatemalan origin, rather than Cuban or Puerto Rican origin, where the fruit is most popular.

That is not true. The origin of mamey sapote is from the Yucatan. Mexican are huge fans of Mamey. The best Mameys in the world are from that region and as I mention to Sam in SoCal we get delicious Patin from Guerrero MX

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »

[/quote]
Sam
I'll give you heads up when the Guerrero mamey come along. I got them for .79lb one year right there in superior by your house.
[/quote]

Yes, please do JF, thanks!.
I need to erase my perception about THAT mamey we ate last year in my mind...  :)
Sam

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »

That is not true. The origin of mamey sapote is from the Yucatan. Mexican are huge fans of Mamey. The best Mameys in the world are from that region and as I mention to Sam in SoCal we get delicious Patin from Guerrero MX
I wish the mamey fans lived near me:( I lived near Mexican Town in Detroit growing up and I never saw any mamey and I visit markets around there frequently and have yet to find any mamey. It is such a delicious fruit I wish it was more popular around here.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 07:59:34 PM »
FYI , here are 2 varieties of great Mameys :

This one is called " Sangre de Toro " . Smaller fruit but melts in your mouth .

No named variety , very large and delicious fruit .

All are Mexican . I could have posted more varieties but my Mack crashed some time ago and I lost hundreds of pictures .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »

The sapotes here in CR are sold everywhere and are just called Zapotes Rojos...red sapotes. They are REALLY delicious..large oblong fruit with lots of brown sugar taste with a creamy slightly dry baked sweet potato pudding taste and consistency...I don't think I've ever had a bad one. They are almost always just grown from seed, although I found one grafted tree but it struggling to grow. I guess the one the poster bought for 7 bucks was just picked too early. Shame! I always check for ripeness by scraping the outer peel slightly to reveal redish color. Green color means not ripe. I understand that a type of sapote are very popular in Cuba. Does anyone know what kind of sapote that is?

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »
Doug, mamey sapote is very popular in Cuba. They are simply called Mamey or Mamey Colorado. Not to be confused with Mamey de Santo Domingo (Mammea Americana) which is also popular there.

Raul

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 05:59:24 AM »

A
Seems that just about any fruit can be ruined by modern mass marketing. You can see another thread about how terrible cherimoyas being marketed in Florida are. Tommy Atkins mangoes in stores can be really tasteless. I've had horrible lychees in stores in Los Angeles. Does that mean any of these furits are really terrible? Here we often get California peaches that have as much taste as a  potato.  :o  Modern technology is not great at everything. Fruits are perishable and don't take well to being picked prematurely, long holding periods. and long refrigeration times.
Oscar

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »

A
Seems that just about any fruit can be ruined by modern mass marketing. You can see another thread about how terrible cherimoyas being marketed in Florida are. Tommy Atkins mangoes in stores can be really tasteless. I've had horrible lychees in stores in Los Angeles. Does that mean any of these furits are really terrible? Here we often get California peaches that have as much taste as a  potato.  :o  Modern technology is not great at everything. Fruits are perishable and don't take well to being picked prematurely, long holding periods. and long refrigeration times.

I think you explained it precisely, Oscar! Thanks for taking the time to give us the explanation.

I was at a lost to find out about that taste of Mamey fruit above that we bought; after hearing so many raving reviews from many members in this forum and elsewhere. So, therefor, I am not giving up yet.

JF, as soon as you find out about a good opportunity/availability again in our neighborhood markets, please let me know?!
Sam

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »
Samu, Mamey season is over if I run across mamey colorado I'll bring you a slice so you can try the best mamey in the planet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk