Author Topic: Black Sapote - Dry?  (Read 788 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Black Sapote - Dry?
« on: August 01, 2020, 09:47:20 AM »
My Maher Black Sapote just fruited for the first time this year.  It's about a 4 year old tree.  It made a few dozen fruits.  They are upwards of 2 pounds each.  I just picked one fruit when it got lighter green colored and developed some small black spots on it.  When I ate the fruit, it tasted drier than I remember black sapote fruit tasting. 

Is the the dryness something specific to the Maher variety, or is this something that happens with younger Black Sapote trees?

Thanks,
Brad 
Brad

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Black Sapote - Dry?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »
I've only ever tasted a couple of black sapote fruits - when I visited Excalibur nursery in Florida.  The less ripe ones were rather dry, and the very ripe ones were squishy and more moist.  It is possible that ripeness is the difference for you. 

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 03:50:18 PM »
Chances are you ate it before it was fully ripe.  Chris @ Truly Tropical has some excellent YouTube videos on picking, ripening and eating black sapote. 

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:51:55 PM »
The underripeness makes sense.  I let it get soft like a ripe avocado, but I didn't wait for the skin to turn black on the outside.  It was still green.

Thanks everyone!
Brad