Author Topic: Not to buy: Rion greenhouse  (Read 2800 times)

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Not to buy: Rion greenhouse
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
Hi Friends,

I recently purchased a rion greenhouse ( The prestige)  and had a very bad experience. It took twice as long as they told us it would take to get here, and then when the first order arrived at least 50 parts were missing. They had us look through every box and check off each part on a list to make sure. We were sure after checking. So then they sent us the parts we needed. Finally the greenhouse was getting built! Then while I was expecting all polycarbonate panels I instead received a mix of mostly cheap thin plastic panels, and some polycarbonate panels, but this was my fault as I had failed to read the full description when ordering. I don't know if I am accurate on this or not but I am having to put large amounts of shade cloth on my greenhouse, only the parts made of the thin, clear, cheap, plastic. Is it possible that these are amplifying the lighting and temperature?

Okay, finally, the greenhouse is built! Then on hotter days I begin opening the top window and it works fine. As a continue doing this over a course of months the handles used to open it fell off. I now have to get a large stick and start poking it until I can get it to open.

Now, as recently as today, I was opening the door to water my plants, and one of the hinges on the door popped out. Great.

I think I am just going to send this one to the dump and build my own greenhouse.

I will post pictures as soon as I have the chance.

Thanks!
Jackson

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Not to buy: Rion greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »
Looked at the vendor's photos, they look good.  I looked around years ago and bought a Harbor Freight 10 X 12, was very happy with it.  I have since added one more each year so now I have three, connected together on the 12 ft sides, with side panels removed making one large greenhouse.  Still very happy with them.  They do use all twinwall, and yes, shade cloth is needed as they are bright and hot.  They each have 4 vents, and I use Bayliss vent openers that open at 80 degrees, and close at night automatically.  A side vent opens with a Bayliss opener also for air circulation.  The shade cloth is on the inside so vents can open outward. I think an unshaded greenhouse would be just too hot in CA.  Mine are loaded with plants, they do well, and I'll probably add another 10X12 HF greenhouse to the others in a year or so. Also, I use heating cables under seeds germinating to keep their temps up during the night.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »
I am planning on buying the 6x8 greenhouse from Harbor Freight... I need something to get my seedlings through winter and $250 seems like a good deal.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
I am planning to go a little crazy and get this next year as long as I can get my durian through this winter. Going to plant them in the ground and have the greenhouse built up on blocks a foot or two to give me a little extra height. This greenhouse seems to have great reviews.

http://grandiogreenhouses.com/grandio-elite-8x8.php

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
I am planning to go a little crazy and get this next year as long as I can get my durian through this winter. Going to plant them in the ground and have the greenhouse built up on blocks a foot or two to give me a little extra height. This greenhouse seems to have great reviews.

That looks like a really fine greenhouse.

I splurged and went with a 30X36' Nexus.  That first avocado cost me $30,000.  ;D

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »

That looks like a really fine greenhouse.

I splurged and went with a 30X36' Nexus.  That first avocado cost me $30,000.  ;D

Ha, well I dont like fruit that much

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk