Author Topic: Ideas for Shade Structures for Individual Trees  (Read 2672 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Ideas for Shade Structures for Individual Trees
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
I hope to be planting about 20 seedling trees in the spring and I want to be prepared to provide shade via some kind of cloth or fabric for each individual tree.
Anyone have any advice on a reliable, inexpensive way to do this?

I have a few ideas:
1) circle of 4ft-high chicken wire, anchored with stakes, wrapped in cloth
2) "teepee" structure with three poles at angles, joined at top, driven partially in the ground and wrapped with cloth
3) more of a semi-circle of a screen on the east, west, and south side with 3 spaced stakes driven vertically and cloth stretched across

I guess a box made out of cheap furring strips is a possibility but would be more laborious to make 20 of those suckers!

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Shade Structures for Individual Trees
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
I use this shade cloth (here in Europe is cheaper than the prices I see in amazon): https://www.amazon.com/iDeal-Fabrics-Outdoor-Shade-Cloth/dp/B01ETPYC78/ref=sr_1_9?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1502732858&sr=1-9&keywords=green+shade+cloth

It's easy to set using 2/4 wires and sticks or the surrounding fences, walls and trees to hold the wires, making a quadrangular structure to tie or sew the cloth. It has to be well secured to withstand the winds.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
I use this shade cloth (here in Europe is cheaper than the prices I see in amazon): https://www.amazon.com/iDeal-Fabrics-Outdoor-Shade-Cloth/dp/B01ETPYC78/ref=sr_1_9?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1502732858&sr=1-9&keywords=green+shade+cloth

It's easy to set using 2/4 wires and sticks or the surrounding fences, walls and trees to hold the wires, making a quadrangular structure to tie or sew the cloth. It has to be well secured to withstand the winds.

Thanks! I have a source for shade cloth but was more concerned about best/easiest/cheapest/fastest way to build it around the trees....

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Plant the tree. Drive four 2x2 four foot long stakes into the ground around the tree. Screw four cross members 2 c2 connecting the four at the torso you have a box frame. Use staple gun to attach shade cloth. Leave the north or leeward side open to water.  Works every time. If you are careful and have help, you can move them to a new location when the tree is established.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
Use 3/4" PVC pipe with 90" fittings to form a frame.  Use a hot glue-gun to glue window screen onto the PVC structure.  Drive short rebar into the ground and slide the PVC over the rebar to prevent wind from knocking it over.

Do not glue the PVC, it is modular, you can change the high later.  The screen filters about 30% of the sun.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »
thanks, folks!
Mr. Clean - yeah, i like your design in regards to being able to remove the frame easily if desired.

Now I have to decide whether I want to go to the expense of these setups.

Seems there may be easier/cheaper ways but they may not be as functional or windproof.

DesertDreamer

• Tempe, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
We do something very similar to mr clean, but use a higher percent of shade cloth here in AZ.  Easiest way I have found to attach shade is using pvc snap on clamps http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/snap-clamps/pvc-fittings_1
During winter, remove shade, wrap with plastic and re-use the snap clamps to hold plastic.  Easy to remove clamps and lift plastic when temps are higher.
DD
All views expressed are from my personal experience, in my particular conditions.  Your mileage may vary.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:09 AM »
I have used round tomato cages. Just wrap the fabric around and attach with zip ties. Leave the top open.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:17 AM »
I use a lawn chair for temporary shade the first week or so if the tree hasn't been hardened to withstand full sun.
Actually, with a few exceptions most trees should be hardened that way rather than shading in the field.
They'll have to make it there anyways.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »
Use 3/4" PVC pipe with 90" fittings to form a frame.  Use a hot glue-gun to glue window screen onto the PVC structure.  Drive short rebar into the ground and slide the PVC over the rebar to prevent wind from knocking it over.

Do not glue the PVC, it is modular, you can change the high later.  The screen filters about 30% of the sun.

Best to use shade cloth, not window screening.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:47:41 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
I have used round tomato cages. Just wrap the fabric around and attach with zip ties. Leave the top open.
Yep, thanks - I've considered that. Not sure the biggest diameter available in those but was wanting something big enough to be sure the tree wouldn't whack against it in the wind.
Also not sure how much those cost, though this time of year if anyone has them, they may be on clearance....