Author Topic: Growing a Pachira Aquatica tree . . .  (Read 1509 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Growing a Pachira Aquatica tree . . .
« on: March 30, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »

I want to plant a Pachira Aquatica tree both for its beautiful leaves and flowers and for the edible seeds. But since it is a tree that grows naturally in tropical swamps I was wondering if anyone has grown them in less than swampy conditions with relative success? Also, how about in part sun?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Growing a Pachira Aquatica tree . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
Good to go. You can even grow these indoors. It is the money plant!
-Josh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
If you get down to Palma Sola botanical park in Bradenton, my club, the Manatee Rare Fruit Council, has a mature tree that is fruiting in normal conditions. I would think part sun would be ok but I don't have any first hand experience.
-Josh

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »
From other threads, people said that the money plant is actually P. galabra, a relative.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
Supposedly they will grow in anything from full sun to shade (not sure about nut production in shade, though).  These plants are amazingly tolerant of really radical root trimming.  I had one that had been neglected in my shade house.  It was in a 1 gal pot and it had two large roots, one about 1 1/2-2" diameter and one about 1", growing out of the pot & into the soil.  Since virtually all of the roots were outside of the pot, I didn't expect the plant to survive.  I hacked off the two large roots & cut off nearly all of the green top growth and put it aside.  It started to sprout out again so I planted it out a couple of months ago (in a wet spot in full sun) and it is growing nicely.  These are tough plants.

I have a P. insignis I have planted in a higher, drier location (also full sun) that seems to also be doing fine.  (That one did not have any radical trimming involved.)

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »

I want to plant a Pachira Aquatica tree both for its beautiful leaves and flowers and for the edible seeds. But since it is a tree that grows naturally in tropical swamps I was wondering if anyone has grown them in less than swampy conditions with relative success? Also, how about in part sun?
Doesn't need swampy conditions. Partial sun is ok. Make sure you get seeds from source that is really good to eat. Many of the plants in USA labeled aquatica are really bad tasting. Also there is a lot of confusion in USA with aquatica really turning out to be glabra. Glabra is a much smaller plant and smaller pods and green pods. The pods of aquatic are much larger and brown.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:47:48 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »
My understanding that is also called frenchn peanut they have it at fruit and spicy park. Afterthe fruit fell from the tree al the seeds disperse . They are good. Good taste. I have it at home. The tree endures everything.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk