Author Topic: Nagami Kumquat in a Pot  (Read 967 times)

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
Nagami Kumquat in a Pot
« on: December 30, 2020, 07:31:07 PM »
I sure am hoping someone will answer this question.  I have an issue with the Nagami Kumquat.  This year for the first time, I have experienced so much fruit drop.  The fruit develops a black round spot then falls off the tree before maturing.  Is there any organic means of treating this tree or just pluck it up.
All the fruit has been picked before rotting.  There was mostly 1 black spot on each fruit and then it would rot.

thank you, Houston, Carol Smith

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Nagami Kumquat in a Pot
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 04:01:33 AM »
Since it is happening only this year I think its some kind of deficit or fungal problem, no need to trow away the tree u just have to find out what the problem is. I also have a potted nagami and it ripened its fruit fine, I have never encountered such problem before, but I only got interested in citrus this summer so dont have alot of experience.....
By the way I dont know if this Is relevant to citrus ,but with tomatoes fruit end blackening is caused  by calcium deficiency and too much watering.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:04:21 AM by Plantinyum »

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 09:42:24 AM »
A Fertilizer store said it was calcium deficiency.
I feed with dynamite - only the potted fruit as it is not organic
I will feed from now on with egg shells for calcium.

There are many on youtube who say to dehydrate the egg shells which is cumbersome
I had been just putting them in the food processor/breaking up and adding to the
compost pile

Thanks for your reply/will work with the calcium.  Thanks for helping people even if you are a newbie.
This was helpful

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
Want to let you know
This year We took all the kumquats/cut in half/potted them in the largest ball jar with a plastic lid,
then covered with sugar
We don't use regular sugar but whey low which is not bad for us as sugar is

We will let the kumquats sit in the fridge until the skins are broken down somewhat.  We shake them
while in the fridge.

They are delicious

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:56:31 AM »
No problem ...hope your plant gets better . Thanks for the recipe for the fruit !!!

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 07:09:07 PM »
Millet and others  in the citrus general discussion has a lot of knowledge. Post in that section and I bet u will get some good answers.