Author Topic: Great Morning for Mangoes  (Read 2338 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Great Morning for Mangoes
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »
Having a tough time waiting for ours to ripen, so took a little drive

Grabbed a nice selection of Florigon, Nectar of Neptune, Nam Doc Mai, Angie, Manalita, and Chao Savoy

Some of the selection that was available. There were quite a few crates of other mangoes as well.

Already tried a Manalita. Very good, low fiber, sweet and tangy. Going to be a good weekend.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Great Morning for Mangoes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
Hope you'll give us feedback on the quality. Nectar of Neptune sounds enticing....  ;D

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:05:03 AM »
Yes, I will feed and give feedback! Saw a nice collection of Orange Essence growing, but not ready yet. Can't wait to try.

Forgot to add, Lemon Zest are in there too.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
Went to Fairchild farms?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Went to Fairchild farms?

No, but gotta try them out too. Mango Men.

To add to the reviews:

Manalita has a bit of an apricot flavor, and a tinge of piney-ness. It's nice. the fruit are a bit small, but not tiny.

Chao Savoy is weird and quite good to me. Recommended to eat it unripe. It's like a green apple mixed with a jujube mixed with a piney mango. Crisp texture. Tart, not very sweet. Not my favorite, but can see it growing on me because it is different and refreshing.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »
Dr. Ledesma emailed me back that Fairchild Farm no longer has a fruit stand. =(

Tried Nectar of Neptune and Florigon today.

These mangoes looked a lot alike. Taste was similar as well. FG was mild in flavor and smooth, NN definitely had more taste to it. NN had just a little tartness to it. Texture was great on both mangoes, no fiber noticed except tiny bit on the seed. NN had a more yellow flesh, while Florigon was darker/more orange. Like NN better.

While I've had Nam Doc Mai before, never tried green until this batch. Tart and crispy. Similar to the Chao Savoy in ways, but liked it better. They both are good (if you like tart and crispy), and could see mixing them up in a green papaya salad. My daughter liked green ndm slices with cinnamon, which was pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:50:10 AM by roblack »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
Tried my first lemon zest today. Wow, super lemony and sour for sure. Very good taste, sweetness was there. Texture was nice. Very good, but maybe overpowering on the lemon. Need to try more.

Thus far, manalitas are my favorite out of the mixed box. Seems like they are even sweeter today, with some other interesting flavors that can vary from fruit to fruit.

The first properly ripened Glenn came off our tree today. Small fruit. Perfect texture. Nice flavors, peachy. Smells great too. Not as sweet as the manalitas though.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
A nicely grown and ripened Lemon Zest should not be sour. It should be very sweet with citrus notes but not have any sourness like a lemon. My later season Lemon Zest are usually sweeter and more full flavored.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »
Thanks Simon. I was thinking it was not at optimal ripeness. Will keep trying!

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »
A nicely grown and ripened Lemon Zest should not be sour. It should be very sweet with citrus notes but not have any sourness like a lemon. My later season Lemon Zest are usually sweeter and more full flavored.

Simon

The only one I have tried was like lemon candy.  Very sweet with strong citrus.
- Marley