Author Topic: 5 superclass varieties for a long season with the most tasty mangoes  (Read 7450 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Hello everybody

This is my first new topic in this amazing forum that I've being enjoying for a while already. Since is my first one, I'll make a brief presentation of myself. I'm a Spanish biologist and a big fan of gardening and organic agriculture. This year I'm starting seriously to set my collection of subtropical and tropical fruit trees. Since I live in a coastal town surrounded by mountains, my plants enjoy a real microclimate with a never freezing, always over 39F weather (which on the other hand is quite a problem regarding most varieties of temperate fruit trees).

I'm setting now my collection of mangoes, already have  Keitt and NDM4. I still have room enough for 5-6 more trees of this amazing fruit so I've been reading tonnes of info in this forum and others regarding the best varieties. My goal is to have a collection of must-have varieties and at the same time to make the season of mangos in my yard as long as possible. I went for the Keitt, since is a very late mango and good quality one. Now I'd like to add to my list 5 superclass mangoes from early to late season if possible. Anyway I place first the taste and its diference between the varieties.  I'm thinking of Lemon Zest, Sweet tart and Maha Chanok like 3 sure candidates, and the doubts come with the other two or three. PPK, Kyo Savoy, Coc, Coconut Cream, Pickering, Fairchild...Too many options!  :P Maybe I should cocktail some of them.  ::)

I know this kind of topic have come up with little variation more times, but since there are new varieties appearing almost every year and the experience of the members also increases every season, hopefully you might help me to update my list and resolve my dilema...

Thank you in advance!

Jose
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:32:38 AM by Jose Spain »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Include Edward, Lemon Meringue (PPK), Dot, and Kent.  (If Kent likes where you live--climate and soil--it will give you super-delicious fruit.  Don't underestimate Kent!)  Some of the new Zill varieties may need to stand the test of time: Cotton Candy, Phoenix, Juicy Peach, M4.  Pickering is always a good one, and I guess Fairchild, too
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:29:03 PM by johnb51 »
John

Jose Spain

• View Profile
Thank you John

I found a very useful topic here:http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.0 that is helping me out to resolve the dilema about early and late season choices.

At the moment my list is

Early season: Pickering

Mid season: Sweet tart, Maha Chanok and Lemon Zest

Late season: Venus or Honey Kiss

I think I'll go for the Venus.

And I'm thinking of adding PPK and Coc to the list. As I read PPK is a little bit earlier than LZ. I have to find out about Coc season.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:52:08 AM by Jose Spain »

Jose Spain

• View Profile
I'm finding contradictory info about Pickering season. Some say is an early mango, others that is a mid season. What is your experience about this mango season, early or mid? actually for me is more than enough to know simply if Pickering comes before than mid-season top ones like LZ, ST and Maha Chanok.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:10:20 AM by Jose Spain »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Can honestly say, the seasons you are referring to are Florida seasons.  No idea what would happen in Spain.

The following are based on "average/mormal" blooms.  Harvest times can and will vary depending on actual bloom times and weather.

PPK is an earlier season but not super early.
Pickering is basically mid season.
Mahachanok has an extended season, from as early as late June and into a good part or thry August.
Sweet Tart is usually an August mango.
Coc/Cac is mid season and I have seen it go into early August.
Honey Kiss is very late season, going into October.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
For me Pickering has been mid-June to mid-July, but this year I got an early partial bloom, and that fruit started ripening in early May.
John

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Hi Jose,

Welcome to the forum. Always glad to see more people interested in growing mangoes ;D In my experience in my yard on east coast of florida, Pickering sometimes has an early bloom with a few early fruit, but the main crop seems to ripen more mid season. My earliest ripening mango is the Rosigold. Not a bad mango, clean, sweet and refreshing! Doesn't have the "Wow!" factor. But I like it a lot because it is disease resistant, very productive each year, and is a small stature tree. You could put both Pickering and Rosigold in a spot that one large mango tree would need. This is the third year I have been eating them and they seem to be getting even better flavorwise. And when no other mangoes are available,except store bought ones, Rosigold taste really good!!!

If I were you, I would not get PPK if you already have a Lemon Zest. Flavor profile is quite similar IMO. Basically the same mango as LZ but smaller and a little earlier.

One mango you should consider is Carrie. A super delicious mango with a truly unique flavor profile that most people thoroughly enjoy! There are a few who do like like the resin component and super soft flesh, but I think most really think it's an awsome mango that deserves a place in a good mango collection. Now, don't be surprised if the Carrie-haters begin to post their comments (Rob). Taste is very subjective and if you are able to try one, please do so...

I also don't know if Kent is such a good idea. I think it is a really good mango, but it has issues with anthracnose in humid climates, so unless you are right by the ocean, I would not go with it. My 2 cents...
My 6-7 trees would be:Rosigold(early), Carrie( some early, mostly mid), Edward(early to mid, extended season), Pickering(early mid, precocious), Bombay( I really like this mid season fruit),,LZ(mid to late),  Keitt( I think is the best late season mango)

Edward I like a lot, except for the shy bearer aspect. Really good fruit, clean exterior, and very consistent each year.
Fairchild is a good option also, good fruit, disease resistant, very productive in humidity. Mid season I believe.
Sweet tart should be considered because so many on this forum think it is one of the best. Same with Maha Chanok. I have not had the pleasure of trying these yet.

Just more for you to think about. Good luck with your collection ;D

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Jose, Don't sleep on the Honey Kiss! as late as they get and when picked and eaten at the right time they are as good as any! Compact growth habit and bears more fruit then you can handle!
Joe

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Jose, Don't sleep on the Honey Kiss! as late as they get and when picked and eaten at the right time they are as good as any! Compact growth habit and bears more fruit then you can handle!

And is not only better tasting than Keitt but does not contain the problems Keitt can have or be susceptible to.

Maybe he should just plant 6-7 Carrie trees...
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
Jose is in coastal southern Spain just north of Morocco, meaning a dry, hot (I presume) Mediterranean climate, similar to Southern California.  It's important that his trees are on suitable rootstock, not trees imported from Florida on turpentine rootstock.  In his location Kent might do well.  He should definitely include Edward.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:57:32 AM by johnb51 »
John

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile

And is not only better tasting than Keitt but does not contain the problems Keitt can have or be susceptible to.

If he wants to make some money on the side, he should plant all Carrie mango. A place here in Merritt Island now sells Carrie mangoes at an increased price compared to all her other 50 or so mango varieties!!! Because of the demand... AHEMMM... ;D ;D ;D

Jose Spain

• View Profile
Can honestly say, the seasons you are referring to are Florida seasons.  No idea what would happen in Spain.

Yes, actually I think that our seasons here in South Spain must be quite nearer to those from SoCal, climate is practically the same. I didn't mention that I live 1.4 miles from the coast line and 45 meters over sea level. The zone is free of freezing, the average annual temperature is 64.04 F, minimum around 46 F, dropping to 41 sometimes (this winter one night temperature dropped to 36 F degrees, and it was an extremely exceptional event, with snow in all the Mediterranean Spanish coast but in my zone, where was just raining). It's not too much hot in summer and tempered in winter, the temperature in August averages 76,46 F. January is the coldest month, with temperatures averaging 54 °F. Here you can check my climate : https://en.climate-data.org/location/5778/ (where I live is a little more rainy that it shows there for the main city). Summers are very dry regarding rains but with high RH due to the proximity of the sea. .

Honey Kiss is very late season, going into October.

Wow, that is really late for Florida, I wonder how late would get here, maybe into January  :o I guess we'll find out  ;)

Here go seasons for the main commercial varieties growing in Malaga coast, so you all know how mango behaves here:

Irwin: From September 10 to October 10.

Tommy Atkins: From September 15 to October 15.

Osteen: From 20th September to 20th October.

Kent: From 15th October to 20th November.

Keitt: From 20th October to 30th November.

Palmer: From 10th November to 10th December.

As you see commercial Spanish growers keep loyal to their old Florida varieties here  :D In my particular case season will be a little bit earlier since winters here are milder than in the eastern part of Malaga, where these data are from.

After reading your comments I surely will go for the Honey Kiss and I'm still thinking about Venus to make a cocktail last season tree maybe...

Mid season I still will go for ST, LZ and Maha, and most likely also a Coc/Cac.

And for early season I have to read about Rosigold. Didn't know that PPK was almost an early season, very interesting. Edward will be probably one of my choices in the future, but that one I can buy it here in Malaga.

Quite a dilema to choose among so many good varieties, maybe I should listen to Rob and just plant 6-7 Carrie trees...  ;D

I forgot to mention that I will buy the scions of all these varieties next month, in this forum, and graft them into Gomera 3. This is the most used rootstock here in Spain, it has good resistance to clays and to our climate, tolerating the Pseudomona syringae bacteria better than other rootstocks.

Thank you all for the very useful info!!!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:53:16 PM by Jose Spain »

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile

Rob, I didn't know you were parting with your prized collection of Carrie trees....
Joe

johnb51

• View Profile
I'd say forget about Kent and Keitt since they are already commercially grown in your area.
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Hola Jose

76f 46f sounds cold for August its 90f 70f in Los Angeles in August. That's our winter low here in la habra. Is there mango groves in your area? We know Malaga grows them commercial and you are south of then. I would stick basic varieties
Edward
Duncan
Cogshall
Thomson
And maybe Sweet tart
Zill newer mangos have had some issues those five thatinreccomended will spread your season from August to December

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
JF, what are the "problems" with Honey Kiss, Pickering & "other" Zills mangos?
Joe

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
JF, what are the "problems" with Honey Kiss, Pickering & "other" Zills mangos?

Fungal issues..,slow growth due to powdery mildew. His night times temps are a problem

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
I don't know how a glenn would do in your area, but as a early producer I enjoy the fresh clean taste of the glenn as one of the first mango's that ripens, that breaks the winter mango drought.

Jose Spain

• View Profile
Hola Jose

76f 46f sounds cold for August its 90f 70f in Los Angeles in August.

No, no, I meant 76.46 F as a whole number (76.5), i.e 76-77 F degrees average! We got already 90 F this month and will get it again this week and the next one. In August we can get easily 105 degrees the hottest days. Minimum temperatures in summer are always over 70, just like in LA. Here in the western part of Costa del Sol there are also subtropical crops (mango, avocado, zapodilla, guava, litchi). Litchi actually was first planted in Spain here in my village, but currently they are commoner in the east of Costa del Sol precisely because of the weather, that is better here (less extreme) so tourism became the main industry in our side of the coast, and crops are commoner in the eastern half. But weather is as good as there (probably better) for this kind of crops. Just here it's more profitable to build a tourist complex and a golf course than to plant mangoes, and yet people is planting new professional crops of mango and avocado this very year in western Costa del Sol.

Solved the misunderstanding about temps I hope I still can go for the Zill varieties! My list so far is this one: Edward as the early one, Maha, ST, LZ and Cac as mid season and Honey Kiss and Venus as late ones. Seven varieties in total since I will listen to you and regraft the Keitt with Venus or HK.  Anyway I'll check the other varieties that you commented. Thank you all for the great info!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:12:56 PM by Jose Spain »

ben mango

• View Profile
 i think Florigon was my fav tasting mango from last year, though im not sure because it wasnt confirmed, seemed better tasting than Cac which has been mentioned

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Hola Jose

No, no, I meant 76.46 F as a whole number (76.5), i.e 76-77 F degrees average! We got already 90 F this month and will get it again this week and the next one. In August we can get easily 105 degrees the hottest days. Minimum temperatures in summer are always over 70, just like in LA. Here in the western part of Costa del Sol there are also subtropical crops (mango, avocado, zapodilla, guava, litchi). Litchi actually was first planted in Spain here in my village, but currently they are commoner in the east of Costa del Sol precisely because of the weather, that is better here (less extreme) so tourism became the main industry in our side of the coast, and crops are commoner in the eastern half. But weather is as good as there (probably better) for this kind of crops. Just here it's more profitable to build a tourist complex and a golf course than to plant mangoes, and yet people is planting new professional crops of mango and avocado this very year in western Costa del Sol.

Solved the misunderstanding about temps I hope I still can go for the Zill varieties! My list so far is this one: Edward as the early one, Maha, ST, LZ and Cac as mid season and Honey Kiss and Venus as late ones. Seven varieties in total since I will listen to you and regraft the Keitt with Venus or HK.  Anyway I'll check the other varieties that you commented. Thank you all for the great info!

Hi Jose
Despite that this forum is international, the majority of the members are from the USA. the mangos you are seeking are also from Florida so please use US units to avoid misunderstandings. It sounds like your climate is identical to ours what is your yearly rain total? and when is your rainy season?  Maha, ST, LZ and Cac should do very well the other have been problematic.

Jose Spain

• View Profile
Hola Jose

Hi Jose
Despite that this forum is international, the majority of the members are from the USA. the mangos you are seeking are also from Florida so please use US units to avoid misunderstandings. It sounds like your climate is identical to ours what is your yearly rain total? and when is your rainy season?  Maha, ST, LZ and Cac should do very well the other have been problematic.

Hi JF

I'm using only Fahrenheit and miles, precisely to avoid misunderstandings. But still we use "," and "." differently in English and Spanish for the decimals of the numbers, so the misunderstanding  ;D

I got here, measured at home, about 30 inches of rain per year, this being the average (I'm not sure inch is exactly the kind of unit you use for rain in USA, I just "translated" from 750 mm) and rains are concentrated in the Fall and Spring (with the main part coming from October to December). Winters are temperate and overall sunny, with some scarce rains, summers are very sunny and quite warm (right now is 10:26 PM here, and we still have 75 F outside). In summer there are only 3-4 days of rain, if any. Typical Mediterranean climate regarding rains.

I think is quite interesting for both people from SoCal and South Andalusia this similarities in our Mediterranean climate, because rootstocks and varieties should behave more or less in a similar way in both areas, since soils are also very similar in many cases.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:37:13 PM by Jose Spain »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Hola Jose

Hi Jose

Hi JF

I'm using only Fahrenheit and miles, precisely to avoid misunderstandings. But still we use "," and "." differently in English and Spanish for the decimals of the numbers, so the misunderstanding  ;D

I got here, measured at home, about 30 inches of rain per year, this being the average (I'm not sure inch is exactly the kind of unit you use for rain in USA, I just "translated" from 750 mm) and rains are concentrated in the Fall and Spring (with the main part coming from October to December). Winters are temperate and overall sunny, with some scarce rains, summers are very sunny and quite warm (right now is 10:26 PM here, and we still have 75 F outside). In summer there are only 3-4 days of rain, if any. Typical Mediterranean climate regarding rains.

I think is quite interesting for both people from SoCal and South Andalusia this similarities in our Mediterranean climate, because rootstocks and varieties should behave more or less in a similar way in both areas, since soils are also very similar in many cases.

Jose

It was my bag.you were adding your high&low (in Fahrenheit) and averaging it to give you the July average. You get double the amount of rain. Our yearly average is 14" this year we broke out of a 6 year drought and we got 24". Gomera rootstock is from cannery islands I doubt it would work any better than turpentine rootstock from Florida. I would love to visit La Mayora station next year to learn more about your rootstock....see if I can convince my wife to make a detour on our way to las canarias.
Saludos

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Here are some pics of young honey kiss

The tree reminds me of fruit punch as it comes out with
green leaves that color up later

This is a tree Rob was so kind to get us last summer and it's a keeper

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:45:40 AM by WGphil »

Jose Spain

• View Profile
JF that would be great, if you convince your wife (showing pictures of Alhambra use to work pretty well in most of the cases) and finally manage to visit Malaga, please let me know, I'll try to come with you to La Mayora. As you know within Canary Islands the are very different climates in function of the longitude, orientation, altitude and proximity to the coast. Anyway Gomera has a mild, nice climate all over the year but clon Gomera 3 is the most widely used here in the pro plantations of Andalusia, so it should performance well at least in some regions of SoCal.

WGphil, that Honey Kiss looks really great, what a beautiful tree. I'm going for Venus and HK as late ones for sure, they both have pretty good comments from all of you and as I understood flavours are quite different. So far I keep most of my doubts about the early one. It seems that there is not such a consent regarding early mangoes and the only one with a really good flavour would be Edward, which is a poor bearer as I'm reading.

Saludos
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:40:26 PM by Jose Spain »