Author Topic: Low-Chill Varieties (e.g. UF Best Peach)  (Read 1727 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Low-Chill Varieties (e.g. UF Best Peach)
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »
I was doing some research and looking for low-chill fruits to extend the season for the trees I already have.  Here is a list of what I was thinking and wanted to get opinions on these varieties.

In January when the trees are dormant I will be looking for budwood from varieties of low-chill deciduous fruit trees (pomegranates, persimmons, peaches, plums and apples). I have some trees that I will be multi-grafting onto (some already are) to increase by backyard variety (I have no room to put in additional trees).

Also, for any of you that have these varieties or have access to these varieties (from friends or at the upcoming scion exchanges in January) would save some budwood for trading? And if I don't have anything you want for a trade, I could certainly pay a fair price for the budwood and for shipping.

Plums (I have a Santa Rosa Plum and a multi-graft Pluot that I can graft onto)     
Most Desired     
     Methley (250 hours)
     Burgundy (300 hours)
     Satsuma (300 hours)
Desired     
     Beauty
     Burbank
     Hollywood
     Mariposa

Peaches (I have a Floridaprince peach I can graft on to)   
Most Desired   
     UF Best Peach  (100 hours)
     Babcock (300 hours)
     Tropic Snow (200 hours)
Desired     
     August Pride
     Desert Gold
     Earligrande
     Mid-Pride
     Red Baron
     Eva's Pride
     June Pride
     July (Kim) Elberta

Persimmon (I have an Izu persimmon I can graft onto)   
     Chocolate
     Coffee Cake

Pomegranates  (I have a large Wonderful pomegranate I am grafting onto, I also have smaller plants: Sirenevyi, Everweet, Desertnyi)
     Parfianka
     Angel Red
     Gissarskii Rozovyi
     Medovyi Vahsha

Apple   (I have an established Dorsett Golden and Anna)
     Granny Smith (400 hours)
     Fuji (~400 hours)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:19:33 AM by starch »
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Low-Chill Varieties (e.g. UF Best Peach)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
updated post with some chill hours for some of the varieties
- Mark

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
Regarding peaches...

I don't know that the chill hours are conservative enough. I have a Tropic Beauty (0-200 chill hours are claimed sufficient) and a Tropic Sweet (175 hours) and the tropic sweet has given me more peaches than the tropic beauty which has given me less than a half dozen peaches and it's quite large. I'm giving it some more time in the ground (2 more seasons 2016, and 2017) to see what it does.

Also you should know (and probably research some video on pruning) I've read and seen video saying they are finicky producers without the right amount or correct shaping of the tree AND nipping excessive fruit from limbs. But... commercial orchards are for lack of a better word ugly in their recommended open bowl type appearance so I'm going to try and use a modified approach to keep some canopy. I'm not growing for quantity like a commercial orchard is so I'm hoping to balance tree shape and fruiting.

As a side note, I knew of peach trees on Long Island (New York) that had absolutely NO care and fruited profusely. Maybe not to commercial levels but a clearly sufficient amount for the owner AND neighborhood kids :-)

Anyway, If I were you I'd pick a peach tree with Waaayyyy fewer chilling hours than are purported to work.

Regards,

Gary

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:15:53 PM »
Regarding peaches...

I don't know that the chill hours are conservative enough. I have a Tropic Beauty (0-200 chill hours are claimed sufficient) and a Tropic Sweet (175 hours) and the tropic sweet has given me more peaches than the tropic beauty which has given me less than a half dozen peaches and it's quite large. I'm giving it some more time in the ground (2 more seasons 2016, and 2017) to see what it does.

Also you should know (and probably research some video on pruning) I've read and seen video saying they are finicky producers without the right amount or correct shaping of the tree AND nipping excessive fruit from limbs. But... commercial orchards are for lack of a better word ugly in their recommended open bowl type appearance so I'm going to try and use a modified approach to keep some canopy. I'm not growing for quantity like a commercial orchard is so I'm hoping to balance tree shape and fruiting.

As a side note, I knew of peach trees on Long Island (New York) that had absolutely NO care and fruited profusely. Maybe not to commercial levels but a clearly sufficient amount for the owner AND neighborhood kids :-)

Anyway, If I were you I'd pick a peach tree with Waaayyyy fewer chilling hours than are purported to work.

Thanks gnappi. I get a surprising number of chill hours for being in 9b. I would say we tend to average 300-600 hours (but I was looking back through my weather station history at getchill.net and we even got 750 hours one year). But I tend to count on at least 300.

My Floridaprince is ultralow chill (150 hours) and made a good crop last year. And my Bonanza miniature (250 hours) made a good crop too. Well just 5 peaches. But for a 2.5 ft tree, this isn't bad :) And they were good!

Yes, I do thinning on the branches to increase fruit quality. I did 3 to 1 thinning on my peaches last year a good some really nice sized and shaped peaches.

Thanks for the thoughts!
- Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk