Author Topic: Fruit identification: Nance Byrsonima crassifolia?  (Read 1408 times)

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
Fruit identification: Nance Byrsonima crassifolia?
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »
Can anyone positively identify this fruit (photo)? I believe it's a "nance" (Byrsonima crassifolia), but i've never seen the nance fruit directly, so I'm not positive. I found this 30ft tree loaded with fruit by the roadside in Miami.  Taste is quite sweet with a bit of latex, musky and tanins (?). Any thoughts?

Federico
Homestead, FL

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit identification: Nance Byrsonima crassifolia?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »
Oh no, you ate it?  Quick, get to the emergency room, you have only minutes left...

Ok, seriously, yes, the fruit looks like it could be in the Nance family.  Did you happen to see any flowers?  If so, did they look like this?

edited to add that upon realizing we are in March, i have less optimism that its a Nance or related.  I believe they fruit later near early to mid summer.  What do the undersides of the leaves look like?  I also missed the part about the laytex when seeing on the phone.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:35:39 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »
Doesn't look like a Nance to me; not the leaves,the fruit,not the seeds; the nances also don't have any latex at all; the nance has strong unique smell; also the flavor is not a easy one; is an aquired taste , first time you can hate it, then becomes adictive; it can be enjoy out of hand; in popcicle; nancewater, with milkshake; or with lime and chilli; in season they sell them in every corner......
Raul from nance city
El verde es vida!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
Look like Brosimum alicastrum, Mayan breadnut
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk