Author Topic: Papaya pugging  (Read 1844 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Papaya pugging
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
I have three papayas that were left in pots too long. They were getting tall and leggy without many leaves. So I pugged them yesterday. They have no leaves now. They are one inch diameter where I pugged. Should I protect the top with an aluminum foil cap secured with a rubber band? Because water will pool at the top and maybe rot it? Papayas are segmented like bamboo and water will pool in the tippy top since I pugged

Should I just let them be?
If I can get some leaf growth I will be planting them

Thanks!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Papaya pugging
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »
Make the cuts at a radical angle, like 45 degrees, and yes cover the cut to make sure they don't collect water and rot.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »
If you choose to cover the wound, consider allowing the wound to dry out first, to make it an unfavorable environment for rot.  Alternatively, cover it so that it gets sufficient ventilation while being rain-protected.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
If you choose to cover the wound, consider allowing the wound to dry out first, to make it an unfavorable environment for rot.  Alternatively, cover it so that it gets sufficient ventilation while being rain-protected.

Maybe I'll put a tin can over the top. This way it has ventilation and will be dry too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk