Author Topic: FTG Fest photos #3  (Read 5207 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
FTG Fest photos #3
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »

Jakfruit for sale (unknown cultivar)

Mamey from Fairchild Farms

S.American Sapote flowers (Quariribea cordata)

Bilimbi fruit

Praying hands banana

Cuban Red Banana

FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: FTG Fest photos #3
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
I did not notice that South American Sapote tree last time I was there. Where is it?

Those bilimbi fruit look pretty cool. The trunk looks pretty big. How old do you think the tree was? Any full pics of the entire tree?

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »
The Chupa Chupa is in the Whitman Pavilion. That Bilimbi is very old and rather large. I did not get a full size photo but it's near the HUGE Baobab tree close to the Cactus gardens.   
FloridaGreenMan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Hi FloridaGreenMan,

Thank you for sharing!!! The fruits look awesome!!!!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
Man, would love to have some of those Cuban Reds.

Those jaks look like they may have been picked a little early to be mature ripened....though guess they would be fitting for savory dishes/fried.
- Rob

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
Hi FloridaGreenMan,

Thank you for sharing!!! The fruits look awesome!!!!

Indeed.!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »

Those jaks look like they may have been picked a little early to be mature ripened....though guess they would be fitting for savory dishes/fried.

I also felt the Jakfruit was not ready to pick so I stayed away. 
FloridaGreenMan

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »

I also felt the Jakfruit was not ready to pick so I stayed away.

The mamey don't look too hot either.
Alexi

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »
even for smallish jaks, $10 each is really cheap. in nyc, they  jak at $3/lb, which works out about $60  per jak as theraverage jak being sold in nyc is around 20 pounds

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
even for smallish jaks, $10 each is really cheap. in nyc, they  jak at $3/lb, which works out about $60  per jak as the average jak being sold in nyc is around 20 pounds
Those jaks are probably in the 5-8 pound range )I would have my doubts that the biggest would go much past 8), and as I said, they aren't ripe and very doubtful they will never ripen to a mature state where they are sweet and a "desert" fruit....plus, this was a Fairchild so they are being sold a little cheaper than what you might find normally.  One last comment, as Noel said, there was no mention of the variety.  They could be a seedling or off variety to where the fruit is mush and only good for the trash can.  I had one recently that was brought up from Miami, of unknown origin and after the initial cut went right into the trash.  Luckily I didn't pay for it cause based on the inner fruit, I would not have paid a dollar for it.
- Rob

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »
even for smallish jaks, $10 each is really cheap. in nyc, they  jak at $3/lb, which works out about $60  per jak as the average jak being sold in nyc is around 20 pounds
Those jaks are probably in the 5-8 pound range )I would have my doubts that the biggest would go much past 8), and as I said, they aren't ripe and very doubtful they will never ripen to a mature state where they are sweet and a "desert" fruit....plus, this was a Fairchild so they are being sold a little cheaper than what you might find normally.  One last comment, as Noel said, there was no mention of the variety.  They could be a seedling or off variety to where the fruit is mush and only good for the trash can.  I had one recently that was brought up from Miami, of unknown origin and after the initial cut went right into the trash.  Luckily I
didn't pay for it cause based on the inner fruit, I would not have paid a dollar for it.

Those Jaks were hard as rocks. This is not Jakfruit season so those were more for display than anything! The sapodillas I bought were very sweet and delicious!

FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Those jaks are probably in the 5-8 pound range )I would have my doubts that the biggest would go much past 8), and as I said, they aren't ripe and very doubtful they will never ripen to a mature state where they are sweet and a "desert" fruit....plus, this was a Fairchild so they are being sold a little cheaper than what you might find normally.  One last comment, as Noel said, there was no mention of the variety.  They could be a seedling or off variety to where the fruit is mush and only good for the trash can.  I had one recently that was brought up from Miami, of unknown origin and after the initial cut went right into the trash.  Luckily I
didn't pay for it cause based on the inner fruit, I would not have paid a dollar for it.

Those Jaks were hard as rocks. This is not Jakfruit season so those were more for display than anything! The sapodillas I bought were very sweet and delicious!
I have seen people buy them like that for either frying or used in savory dishes.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
I've heard hard jacks are quite good in curries, but have never tried it.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Young jakfruit cooked like a vegetable, seeds and all, is a delicious way to enjoy them.  You can get them in the Asian market canned.......not terrible for canned fruit.  The flesh has a pleasing texture.  I have had some say it has almost the texture of meat.  Of course it doesn't have all that much flavor at that stage.....adding a nice strong curry and coconut milk makes it quite enjoyable.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk