Author Topic: Excalibur Red grafted trees from Excalibur  (Read 7763 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Re: Excalibur Red grafted trees from Excalibur
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »
I have a red morning tree in the ground.  It is a more vigorous grower than Excalibur red. My tree is 4 years in the ground from a 3 gallon container.  It has been pruned back to 15’ tall each of the last 2 years.

This year it made approximately 25 fruits.  Half of them were 20-26 pounds and the other hand were 8-12 pounds.

The fruit started coming ripe around September 1st and I have been picking them ever since. Just picked a 20 pounder tonight. 

Flesh is orange to reddish orange.  In September and October the fruit were sweet and tasted almost like jackfruit candy. The last couple of months has produced milder tasting fruit.

5 jackfruit still remain on the tree and I expect them to ripen in the next couple of weeks.

The flesh is firm/crunchy.  Low latex. Delicious.

Brad

Brad

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 10:21:11 PM »
Nice.
Har

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
It's been a while since this topic was last discussed. Has anyone else had their Excalibur Red jackfruit tree produce any fruit? Any with dark orange/red fruit?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »
It's been a while since this topic was last discussed. Has anyone else had their Excalibur Red jackfruit tree produce any fruit? Any with dark orange/red fruit?

I often wonder the same thing. I have never seen it in person. I can't imagine how many trees they sold because of this forum. My friend fruited another a Borneo Red or Red Morning from them and it was yellow fleshed.   >:(   Hopefully the new red one they put out is sorted out and accurate. The nursery there is so freaking massive I can see how things could get lost or moved around.

If anyone fruits their Excalibur Red jackfruit please post pictures even if it is not red. I have one that I multigrafted and only left one branch on it since I figured it was a dud.
-Josh

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 06:21:49 PM »
Has anyone fruited this yet?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2020, 07:45:48 PM »
Here is a fruit from my tree. This fruit is darker orange than prior fruits. I am not 100% sure this is excalibur red. It is crispy and the flavor is excellent.  The spines do not flatten out and are sharp. It is uncomfortable to hold.

Brandon

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 09:55:02 PM »
I purchased a seedling Excalibur Red Jak ~8 years ago. I kept in a 5 gallon pot until I moved to my current property in 2014. The tree thrived and began to put out hundreds of male flowers in 2016 - 2018. Last year it finally produced two fruit. The first to ripen was round, ~12 lbs. and definitely had a pink color (first photo). The second fruit ripened two weeks later was oblong, ~18 lbs. and had a traditional yellow orange color (second photo). This year the tree is currently holding more than a dozen fruit, only one of which is round. That fruit should be ripe any day, I am anxious to see what color it will be.

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »
UPDATE: I harvested my round shaped Excalibur Red last evening, the first of 2020 and only the third fruit from this tree (see previous post).

Photo #1 shows the inside of the tree, the ripe fruit is partly obscured, bottom right. There are 8 more fruit in this photo and several more higher in the tree, all with a more oblong shape.

Photo #2 shows the 16 lb. fruit after cutting. Just like the round fruit from 2019,  the flesh has a pinkish color, not what I would call red. There was very little latex, the flesh was firm with a pleasant taste.

It will be interesting to see the color of the remaining fruit.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
Here is a fruit from my tree. This fruit is darker orange than prior fruits. I am not 100% sure this is excalibur red. It is crispy and the flavor is excellent.  The spines do not flatten out and are sharp. It is uncomfortable to hold.

Looks pretty good! How long ago did you buy your tree?

UPDATE: I harvested my round shaped Excalibur Red last evening, the first of 2020 and only the third fruit from this tree (see previous post).

Photo #1 shows the inside of the tree, the ripe fruit is partly obscured, bottom right. There are 8 more fruit in this photo and several more higher in the tree, all with a more oblong shape.

Photo #2 shows the 16 lb. fruit after cutting. Just like the round fruit from 2019,  the flesh has a pinkish color, not what I would call red. There was very little latex, the flesh was firm with a pleasant taste.

It will be interesting to see the color of the remaining fruit.

Thanks for the update Larry. Your fruit looks to be the same/similar to cbbs_daviefl. The original image I posted is very dark which could make it looks more red and could be the same fruit. https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1980/44153894775_46c325728c_c.jpg

These older trees could possibly be the original selection before the mixup.

How is the fruit quality? Is excellent like one of the best jackfruit you have ever eaten and should be widely grafted and available or are some of the newer selections superior. Can't wait to try seedlings from Amber, Berry and Coconut's Boca Snob.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:47:23 PM by Vernmented »
-Josh