Author Topic: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo  (Read 41511 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
You have a privilege location to still have Nish's around. My older tree dropped all fruit by early November. Nish flavor is similar to Catalina and Oro Negro. Try those to see how they compare to your Nish's.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
Zands if I get you correctly, the next new moon is January 14, 2013. The next 14 days will put you to January 28, with the best day being January 21, 2013?
I did dome grafting on December 18 Waxing moon and they are already pushing out like crazy.

Estimado Carlos, you have more than one day. Let us say the four days surrounding January 21. The idea is increasing light and tidal pull on all water and all plant juices from the moon. This starts right after the new moon which is empty and non-visible.

http://www.plantea.com/planting-moon-phases.htm
Increasing Light -- New moon to full moon
Examples of garden chores to do by the light of the moon:
(NOTE: These are general guidelines. I highly recommend referring to Ed Hume's Planting Guide for specific planting tasks):

Repot and groom houseplants
    Sow seeds of plants that grow above ground (for helpful tips on starting your own seeds, click here.)
    Fertilize
    Graft fruit trees
    Plant evergreen and deciduous trees

Zands, those 'tidal' influences happen every single day, 365 days a year - as the Earth rotates once per 24 hours, under the moon above, so to speak. So the plant juices and such are going to feel daily tidal pulls similar to the oceans.

The phases have to do with where the moon is in its orbit around the Earth. If it's on the other side of Earth from the sun then we see it 'full'. If it's off to the side - ahead or behind us - we get to see 'half' of it. If it's on the sun side of us then the face of the moon to us is dark.

It is true though that  the COMBINED effects of tidal pull with moon brightness is at a maximum once a month. And, as you say, there are several days (nights) bracketing full moon when the moonlight is close to'full'.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
I have a Kahaluu planted out that's doing very well.  Its getting ready to bloom.  Has anyone had any luck fruiting this one in Florida yet??

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
Mine flowered last year but did not set any fruit. Does not seem to be building flower buds so far.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Does any of our East-Coast Nursery's sell this type of Avocado tree ? would like a 3 Gal ;)..

Ed
Zone 10

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »
Ask Mike Bender he may have some
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
Thank You Carlos !
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2015, 08:54:29 AM »
I had a friend of mine stop by Bender's Place yesterday & Picked Up A 1 Gal Nishikawa ;), He will deliver it to me on Monday, Cant wait to see this specimen ..

Ed
Zone 10

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2015, 04:57:45 PM »
I have a Kahaluu planted out that's doing very well.  Its getting ready to bloom.  Has anyone had any luck fruiting this one in Florida yet??
Patrick, how is your kahaluu doing atm?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
any updates from FL growers on Nishikawa? 

I keep going back and forth about whether this tree has a spot in my yard or if I should just plant it at work. 

Maybe I will plant the Wilson Popenoe at work instead.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
Mine is Doing great I'll post a pic tomorow, got it from Mike B , it's a great looking plant !
Ed.
Zone 10

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »
Is Berto and I the only ones growing Nishikawa??  There has to be other out there.

Carlos, I have 1 growing over on the Island at the mango grove. I got mine the same place as Berto got his. Matter a fact, Berto was the one who told me where to get one. :)

Slow growing in the grove.

Joe.

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
we have them at echo in north fort myers

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
we have them at echo in north fort myers
Do you work at Echo?  How has production been for you on the West Coast?
~Jeff

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »
we have them in 3 gallon pots for sale. i don't think we have any nishikawa in the ground here but we do have a good variety of avocados planted out. we have been getting plenty of fruit for the market  but I'm not sure how this years harvest compares to previous years.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
Is Berto and I the only ones growing Nishikawa??  There has to be other out there.

Carlos, I have 1 growing over on the Island at the mango grove. I got mine the same place as Berto got his. Matter a fact, Berto was the one who told me where to get one. :)

Slow growing in the grove.

Joe.

They are slow when small, as the grow they get very very  wide and starts getting bigger quickly
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2018, 11:29:47 AM »
I know this is an old post but i wanted to add that i got 2 of these a few years ago and really love them . They do start slow but when they take hold they spread way out , look funny . But the avocados are great , not like anything else i have ever had . Now if i can get my Oro Negro to produce something after 5 years that would be great . Thanks to all of you guys for the good info

mike in Naples

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »
Nishikawa is a great and tasty avocado. Here in my place, it is an alternate bearer. This year, I have only a few fruits hanging.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
I am hoping it does well in CA, Ive got 3 grafted nishikawa trees.  Going plant at least one of them soon.  Anyone growing one in CA? 
Brad Spaugh

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
I have one nishikawa that is still small(4ft) but is doing really well, the fruit look great.  I cant wait.

fruitnewbie

• USA, HI, Wahiawa, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2018, 01:00:04 AM »
I made about 40 of them off of my aunt's tree. That tree holds fruit for months, finishing in April. Gonna start planting them in a friend's orchard soon. It does have a weird growth habit, kind of lanky and gangly.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
I have 1 graft in the ground on one of the rootstock I got from you. I grafted on a lower branch which luckily provided it some shade during the heat wave. It’s now reaching out beyond the shade. I also have kahaluu (large and inground) , Yamagata (small but in ground) and murashige graft that just started pushing.

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
Berto ,

Saw that you are in SW FL . I'm In Naples . I got 3 Nish's on one tree only . none on the other . When do you pick yours ? i previously did end on Nov. mine were smaller than the 23oz others report . Some people say they pick in Jan. or later . Since we live in the same area wondering when you pick.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
You probably spoke to my wife Zena, although I really do like the flavor of the Day, I eat them with a spoon plain.. I had some really good Simmonds this past year, Catalina too! I would not pick a "best cultivar" of anything even if waterboarded unless I ate the fruit with the person and we came to agreement! I have grafted several Kahaluu Avos from Oscar (Fruit Lovers), most of which have been sold unfortunately.  I havent grown one to fruit though so I cant say they will be the same quality as they are reported to be in Hawaii.  Now that you have found this forum I think you will find a lot more sources available to you locally to feed this crazy habit! You will find a lot of really good people here! I would recommend joining the Broward Rare Fruit Council as a start!!
[/quote

Patrick, I have a Kahaluu growing on Merritt island at the mango grove. I believe she is going to bloom this year. Very small rounded tree about 6' tall and 6'round. Very full tree. I'll take some pictures when she blooms.

Joe.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2018, 05:13:03 AM »
I don't have any nishikawa but Japanese are smart plant breeders so it must be worth planting. Can someone see how long nishikawa avocado has been around? My guess is 25-30 years so it has a track record that is not well known on the internet. Spaugh was correct in tripling down on his nishi plantings to see what pans out. Not all fruit trees of a given variety are equal. Some are strong and some are weak. I see this on my "estate"

I planted three lula and only one is really very much flourishing/ I bought it in Home Depot in Sunrise FL in 15 gallon...$84 but it was worth it. Avocado trees are more finicky than mango by a long shot/ Have a brogdan too. No nishikawa/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:05:36 AM by zands »