Author Topic: Best tasting mango varieties  (Read 6460 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mango varieties
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 08:13:55 PM »
Tommy Atkins
Why you say that?

Was a joke come on

Not sure about such a joke, a properly ripened Tommy Atkins may just very well be better than a Graham.

Did you plant a tommy atkins tree in your yard rob?
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 08:49:11 PM »
Tommy Atkins
Why you say that?

Was a joke come on

Not sure about such a joke, a properly ripened Tommy Atkins may just very well be better than a Graham.

Ha!  Nope, and no Graham, Carrie or Julie either.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 08:56:56 PM »

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 10:04:22 PM »
Tommy Atkins
Why you say that?

Was a joke come on

What are your favorite Mangos to eat?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »
Tommy Atkins
Why you say that?

Was a joke come on

What areyour thoughts on keitt and kent mangos?
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2020, 10:58:26 PM »
Come on, Rob.  Educate Carlos.
John

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2020, 04:58:05 AM »
Yes Graham or Grammy in West Indian lingo is excellent I would also recommend you try Buxton spice

What do you like about Buxton Spice?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2020, 06:21:44 AM »
It has a deep rich mango flavor and I can detect a subtle spicy note of nutmeg. Now it's time to turn the table and ask you some questions. What part of Mexico are you from? If it's the southern part what mangoes are available at your local market? I would think South American and Caribbean which Graham and Buxton spice would fall into that category. If you're in the northern part of Mexico i would think that you would only have available what they do in California. Now getting varieties of trees and bud wood would be another logistical feat for you to accomplish. If you don't have access to any of these varieties were just hypothetically beating a dead horse.:)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:30:58 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2020, 08:43:06 AM »
It has a deep rich mango flavor and I can detect a subtle spicy note of nutmeg. Now it's time to turn the table and ask you some questions. What part of Mexico are you from? If it's the southern part what mangoes are available at your local market? I would think South American and Caribbean which Graham and Buxton spice would fall into that category. If you're in the northern part of Mexico i would think that you would only have available what they do in California. Now getting varieties of trees and bud wood would be another logistical feat for you to accomplish. If you don't have access to any of these varieties were just hypothetically beating a dead horse.:)
This is true.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2020, 09:12:07 AM »
I don't think theres that great of an issue getting budwood into Mexico. While I don't know the details, there are forum members from Mexico who have gotten budwood from the United States and are growing some of the newer, better varieties.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:24:16 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2020, 09:23:37 AM »
 I am personally not a fan of Kent. When grown in Florida, it obviously has major issues and not recommended to be grown here. There other similarly flavored mangoes that do better here such as Fruit Punch.

When Keitt is grown here there are two distinct different harvests. The larger fruit from the early harvest that people like due to its size, tend to be lower in quality. The flavor is kind of average and the fruit do contain some fiber. The later, smaller fruit (much smaller of a harvest) are much better flavored, sweeter with no fiber.  A lot of these fruit seem to be kept by the grower and/or shared with family and close friends.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »
To answer the OPs question...
I'd suggest doing a forum search for "best tasting mangos" or "top mangos"  and you'll get some detailed responses.
Long story short though, Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, Orange Sherbet, Sugarloaf, Super Julie and a few others seems to make the top 10 list consistently.

Concerning Tommy Atkins
I actually had some ripened from a local tree and it was okay.
Flavor was decent (VP and Kent are better), plenty of fiber though. I diced it up so it was like eating a decent Florida mango mixed with a little cotton ball.
I'd take it over some other mangos simply because I'm a sucker for the classic Florida mango taste.
If it was earlier in the season when i had more mangos it would likely go in the freezer for lassi...or maybe the compost

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »
you have to try fruits yourself to come up you fav ones.

get the general list from the forum members here and see if someone is willing to ship you the fruits

my list is now different after personally tasted some ..  to my surprise i also like Venus , Kiran Michael  (both are hardly mentioned here) as well as J-14,  peach cobbler

other top tier that i tried and very much like it was Coconut cream , sugar loaf and Mallika (yes Mallika too :)

for some reason or got the bad batch i dont very found of Super Alphonso or kesar i got  (may be pick to early)

i also like East indian taste wise , but have fiber in it , for which i have no problem . but others may disagree
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:04:05 PM by jbaqai »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
Karen Michelle
- Rob

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2020, 02:51:15 PM »

From my own personal experience this is what I see in Mexico.

Ataulfos and Manilas are basically what  Mangos are about in Mexico. I have noticed two types of Manila (one refreshing and the other cinammon desert type), but both are sold as Manilas and I doubt if someone has noticed the difference, but I defintely do, just by looking at them. Any other Mango is discarded as Paraiso or Petacon. So it is really difficult to now what variety of mango is being eaten. I have heard words like Keitt, Kent, tommy, Haden, so I guess those one are the ones sold commercially. But I have definitly tried much more that are usually discarded as Petacon. Manilas and Ataulfos have a very soecific shape and color when ripe, (plan yellow and light orange respectively) so any rounded green/red/yellow Mango is a Petacon. Theres another Mango called Manililla (similar to Manila-dessert type) smsller with red hues less sweet and flavor but keeps the Manila floral and vanilla richness that changed me from hating it to acrually kinda like it. Manililla is the first Mango sold of the season, february-april and although is not commercially ground is a good start if you want to have mangos as early as January. I absolute love Manilas (both types) so if anybody here jmhas tried it, I would appreciate if you can share whag other varieties might be richer or similar to Manilas. I will start planting in Chiapss, near Palanque. Chispss is where the Ataulfo variety originated.

I travel frequently to the United States and I can have them ship to a USA adress. For how long do woodbuds work after they are cut? Is there a way to keep expand their life??

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2020, 02:57:36 PM »
To answer the OPs question...
I'd suggest doing a forum search for "best tasting mangos" or "top mangos"  and you'll get some detailed responses.
Long story short though, Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, Orange Sherbet, Sugarloaf, Super Julie and a few others seems to make the top 10 list consistently.

Concerning Tommy Atkins
I actually had some ripened from a local tree and it was okay.
Flavor was decent (VP and Kent are better), plenty of fiber though. I diced it up so it was like eating a decent Florida mango mixed with a little cotton ball.
I'd take it over some other mangos simply because I'm a sucker for the classic Florida mango taste.
If it was earlier in the season when i had more mangos it would likely go in the freezer for lassi...or maybe the compost

Thank you very much for sharing the Mango Varieties you think are of excellent quality. I know it is a hard thing to do, but for me is really helpful as a starting point.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2020, 03:04:36 PM »
Karen Michelle

Thanks Rob , will correct it

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
--empty
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:16:10 PM by jbaqai »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
I recommend you try Graham West Indian profile I like it

Cac  E-4 Sweet Tart

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2020, 10:39:18 PM »
Any thoughts on alphonso or mahima?

Danielofthecastle

• Port Charlotte, Miami, Parkland, Palm Beach Gardens
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2020, 03:45:12 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and I am writing this thread because Ibwould love to know what are your favorite mango varieties tto eat. It is very overwhelming to see the amount of endless varieties there are to find. I grestly believe that there are things in life that we all can agree and anybody can feel the taste of an amazing mango. From my short experience, the Mexican Manila is my absolute favorite. It has the taste of a CocaCola, but even better. Like a vanilla flavor. What I'm trying to say is that your opinion will be considered and trusted 100%. I am planning on planting several mango trees and I want the best of the best in terms of taste.  Thank you very much in advance

There are so many fantastic flavors enjoyed by all, everyone is different, I suggest you try them yourself and develop your own opinions.
Coconut Cream, Fruit Punch, Sweet Tart, Venus, SugarLoaf, Phoenix, CAC, Maha Chanok , Kathy, Orange Essence ... honestly the best one is the Fresh one you’re eating at the moment. Enjoy and good luck with your planting choices

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2020, 07:26:50 AM »
I would hate to be the sand in the Vaseline of a Floridian mango appreciation thread but Tommy Atkins, Julie, Keitt and Kent ...really? There is an over representation of Floridians mangoes mentioned. I do wonder just lemon zest and orange sherbet would stack up against KP lines, Maha Chanok, okrung or even the humble NDM in taste tests.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2020, 07:46:59 AM »
I would hate to be the sand in the Vaseline of a Floridian mango appreciation thread but Tommy Atkins, Julie, Keitt and Kent ...really? There is an over representation of Floridians mangoes mentioned. I do wonder just lemon zest and orange sherbet would stack up against KP lines, Maha Chanok, okrung or even the humble NDM in taste tests.

I really like maha Chanok, and rate it up there with lemon zest and others. My wife likes lemon zest more. A lot of my Asian friends think ndm are the epitome of mango deliciousness, this stems from being told at a young age how good it is.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2020, 08:03:19 AM »
There is certainly a strong cultural element in taste preferences. What may be construed as complex, spicy or savoury in one area may be thought of as a taint or turpsy aftertaste elsewhere.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2020, 09:02:59 AM »
So far my list is Sweet Tart, Sugar Loaf, Butter Cream, lil Gem.