Author Topic: Mangos from Leo's yard and Mango tree talk  (Read 13559 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mangos from Leo's yard and Mango tree talk
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »
It seems we all saying that grafted mango plants from FL are slow grow for California climate, but ideal for folks in FL to control their size. I don't know how big the market in Cal, but it's great idea for someone in Cal to start a business of selling grafted mangoes with Manila root stocks.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 10:53:58 PM »
It seems we all saying that grafted mango plants from FL are slow grow for California climate, but ideal for folks in FL to control their size. I don't know how big the market in Cal, but it's great idea for someone in Cal to start a business of selling grafted mangoes with Manila root stocks.
LaVerne nursery has quite a few varieties "coming down the pike"

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »

Are your soils High or low Ph over in CA?   I have had similar problems with bare rooted trees brought over from Fla.  poor nutrient uptake,   stuff I have crafted onto local seedlings , does not show this problem,  so I guess you guys are on to something regarding Fla rootstock, seems best used in Fla.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »
Are your soils High or low Ph over in CA?   I have had similar problems with bare rooted trees brought over from Fla.  poor nutrient uptake,   stuff I have crafted onto local seedlings , does not show this problem,  so I guess you guys are on to something regarding Fla rootstock, seems best used in Fla.

I have high pH, heavy clay, soil in Ventura County.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »

I have high pH, heavy clay, soil in Ventura County.

same here in Phoenix

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
I have good loam soil -- no idea about Ph level -- and drains fairly fast. Seedlings form Kent and Manila grow reasonably fast but all grafted mangoes from FL are slow and droopy. I hate the droopy look -- depressing looking mangoes :)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
I have loam soil use to be Ph 7.5-8 got it down to 6.5 and litchi 5.5. My tropicals took off after a lot of work. pix of winter mulch mixed with cottonseed meal.

here is my Tabouey x J-30 after I got my Ph to 6.0

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 10:43:53 PM »
JF, your trees look amazing as usual but I'm not sure what looks better, your trees or your mulch. I'm very envious of your beautiful mulch layer. The pH of the soil is so important for plants to be able to uptake the nutrients they require.

Simon

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »
I did not know that cottonseed meal was an acidic slow-release fertilizer! Talk about learning something new and useful. I will definitely using this as part of my subtropical fertilizer regimen from now on. Thanks JF!
- Mark

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »
where would one get cottonseed meal?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
Many gardening centers have it. Walter Anderson Nursery and Armstrong Nursery carry it.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »

Behl will be taking pre orders for cottonseed meal 50lb in spring cheaper that Amazon, stand by!

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 03:06:46 AM »
Farm supply stores will often carry it.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 11:55:10 PM »
Here in Florida the Turpentine Mango root-stock does just as well on the high-pH "rockdale soil" of the Redlands ag zone near Homestead, as in deep sandy soils with neutral or slightly acidic pH, or in potting soils.
Har

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 03:23:40 AM »
Thanks for the information Har, I believe Gary over in Palm Springs California has some of the best looking Florida Mango trees that I've seen. If I recall correctly, Gary says he has fast draining soil and he definitely get much more heat units than most of the other growers in California.

Simon

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
Back in the mid-90's, Sun World bought 120,000  3-gallon 'Keitt' mangos from Florida and planted them near the Salton Sea.  I wonder how they are doing.
Har

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 01:51:03 PM »
I just visited Leo Manuel and he’s still got a good amount of Mangos and some Annonas hanging on his trees. Today he offered up Keitt, Keitt seedling, Seedling #4, Leo 1, Leo 2, Leo Z, Valencia Pride, Peggy, Early Gold and a couple I can’t remember. Due to the spotty rain, some of the Mangos are cracking. Surprisingly, he’s got a bunch of NDM fruit hanging and they are not cracked.

Simon

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »
Back in the mid-90's, Sun World bought 120,000  3-gallon 'Keitt' mangos from Florida and planted them near the Salton Sea.  I wonder how they are doing.

http://www.earlsorganic.com/news/california-keitt-a-mango-not-to-be-missed/

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 09:13:36 PM »
I just visited Leo Manuel and he’s still got a good amount of Mangos and some Annonas hanging on his trees. Today he offered up Keitt, Keitt seedling, Seedling #4, Leo 1, Leo 2, Leo Z, Valencia Pride, Peggy, Early Gold and a couple I can’t remember. Due to the spotty rain, some of the Mangos are cracking. Surprisingly, he’s got a bunch of NDM fruit hanging and they are not cracked.

Simon

Simon please give us a brix reading on each variety. Leo is amazing! He's the only person harvesting mangos through the winter, along with Rudy,  in USA. If you think these mangos are tasteless and lack brix because of the off season think again.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 08:59:28 AM »
Thank you for the article link, Ricshaw.
Har

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 11:17:18 PM »
Odd, that article suggests a 4-6 week season, but I see Cali-grown Keitts at select supermarkets throughout the year.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 01:12:20 AM »
I ate some of the Mangos last week and one today.

Today I cut open this mango that I didn’t label. I believe it’s Leo Keitts seedling or Leo 1. It had a few very bad fungal spots on it that went into the flesh so I cut around it.

When I cut into it, I could smell some spicy turpene notes from around the skin area and the juice was thick and viscous so I knew it was sweet. It had a Brix reading of 26% and it was absolutely delicious. The only bad thing about this mango is that it had some fiber, about the same amount as Haden.

Last week, I cut open a Peggy which had a Brix reading of 19%. I cut it open when it was firm ripe and it was incredible. It was sweet with excellent mango flavor which was slightly resinous in a good way. I’ve had these soft ripe before but I prefer to eat Peggy in the firm stage. I think I like Peggy more than the one I had today.

The Leo Z was harvest early so it did not ripen properly. It had very slight give when I ate it last week but when I cut it open, it was a pale yellow color and had that soft rubbery feel of a mango that was harvested prematurely. I knew I should have waited another week or two before harvesting the fruit but I wasn’t sure if I would have time to stop by when it was fully ripe so I rolled the dice and lost on this one.

The seedling #3 was large but as usual, it ripened unevenly and the flavor was nothing special.
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »
I just stopped by Leo’s place and some of his mango trees are loaded with fruit. His Todos Santos is just covered with fruit and he also has some huge Keitt fruit.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2019, 01:56:56 PM »
Some more pictures

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2019, 01:59:49 PM »
Some giant Keitts. I believe they are in the 4-5 lbs range

And some fruit Leo insisted I take home for helping out in the yard.

Simon