Author Topic: Pachira variety?  (Read 1434 times)

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
Pachira variety?
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
Hello, who know this Pachra variety?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APrY84QUmws

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Pachira variety?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 03:33:28 AM »
Like it says on the video subject, it is Pachira aquatica.
Oscar

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 06:46:57 AM »
I confuse about many Pachira aquatica picture

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 05:17:46 PM »
I confuse about many Pachira aquatica picture
A lot of people confusing Pachira glabra with Pachira aquatica. The Pachira glabra has small green pod, the Pachira aquatica has very large brown pod.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »
You shouldn't eat them raw like he's doing in the video; some people do, and a little bit isn't going to hurt you, but they contain cyclopropenoic fatty acids (CFPAs), which are carcinogenic and have other adverse health effects.  On the other hand, high-temperature cooking, such as roasting or frying, denatures CFPAs (starts at 170-180°C, but hotter is better).  Low-temperature cooking methods, such as boiling, aren't hot enough.  I've never had a chance to try them, but I've heard that roasted they taste like chestnuts.

I have a P. aquatica (origin: Jim West) at work right now that's acting as our office Christmas tree.  The poor thing is too tall for the building so I've had to bend the top horizontal  ;)  I hesitate to trim it because I've never seen it grow new branches on old wood; I've been contemplating grafting it back smaller the next time it looks ready to do a new flush.

A guy came around the office today with a pollution meter because he'd been getting some complaints about air quality near where he was. Near his desk he measured some pretty bad conditions (esp. VOCs), and he was going around to different places in the building measuring air quality to compare it to.  He put it between my P. aquatica and the guanabana next to it (yes, I have a weird choice in "office plants"  ;)  ), and it measured the cleanest air in the building.  While I'm not fully convinced that the plants themselves are the reason, he left convinced that he needs to get some trees for his area   ;)

(Actually, come to think about it, the plants could partly be the reason for the better air quality, if only for the fact that humidity levels in the building are horribly low, except near my desk due to the plants... and water vapour creates free hydroxyl ions which decompose VOCs, if I remember the process correctly...)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:57:11 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:04:24 AM »
I've heard (and I'm not sure if its true, but it seems logical) that the soil and the microbes in the soil are actually the ones doing the heavy lifting when it comes to air purification