Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170807 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
Video on Limoncillo surroundings
https://youtu.be/CUIqnZ5o0Ik

your video is set to private! we can't see it!

also remove the "s" from "https" in your link, so it just says "http", and your video will be viewable in the thread, instead of just a link
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
Yesterday I went to the zoo to get scions of a beautyfull bright red reticulata I just discover last week when I took my 10 years old boy; the problem is that is inside a little Island set on a pond where is the home of the spider monkeys; to get there I have to cross the pond with hundreds of hungry carp fish,
I wasn't lucky cause the encharged Who authorized me to come back to pick the wood was out of the city; since I was there and I knew a few Lucmoncillo trees on the river, I decided to go and take a look; to my surprise I found this tree with a few small, unripe fruits and still flowering ; unusual cause usually by this time season is over; the problem with this tree is so tall that fruit is unreachable; I was lucky to find a single one perfectly ripe on the ground! It was on its prime; superb lemons sweet gelato/pye flavor/consistency; amazing fruit

PD anybody knows how to upload video? I want to show one of the lucmoncillo environment

Very Nice detective Raul, any chance you can scare a few seed of this late bearing variety for sale.  Its thick trunk can also double up as a lumber crop beside its attractive fruit!  Keep us post on this off season variety, you can send me that one seed if you like, I will take it over the orange one!😆👍🏻
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
Video on Limoncillo surroundings
https://youtu.be/CUIqnZ5o0Ik

Raul, thanks for uploading photos and video. You need to mark the video on Youtube as public. Right now it is marked private and can't see it.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »
Ok I set it to public lets see if this work http://youtu.be/CUIqnZ5o0Ik
 "Title"  limoncillo habitat
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:10:40 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
Ok I set it to public lets see if this work http://youtu.be/CUIqnZ5o0Ik
 "Title"  limoncillo habitat
Raul, that is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing
Joe

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »
Nice place Raul. Is that all inside the zoo?
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »
Nice place Raul. Is that all inside the zoo?
just outside the zoo Oscar is a little river who comes from the high lands to the ocean,  whar I like of the rivers here in Vallarta is they run in a sand bed so is delicious. to take a swim,  no crocs in these ones, the other ones I'v seen in inland Mexico run through mud soil, 
El verde es vida!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2015, 11:35:32 AM »
thank you for sharing this with us Raul!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2015, 07:24:39 PM »
Beautiful pics of stream habitat thanks for posting, stay cool. 8) ;)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
Nice Raul ....and now you all are gonna want me to do one also right !! Looking at the water you people in CA must be jealous ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
Nice Raul ....and now you all are gonna want me to do one also right !! Looking at the water you people in CA must be jealous ...
Luc, were getting some good rain right now in SoCal lol

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:33 PM »

You should be catching every drop in cisterns. But i'm sure most of it runs into drainage and back into ocean.  :( Californians don't know yet they live mostly in a desert.
Oscar

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »
I heard there is a good expose on wealthy southern Californians watering their lawns everyday , after their Governor issued some kind of 25% reduction across the board on water use.   :(  So does that = 25% less showering = stinkier people 25% more of the time..... I think it might be time to buy stock in deodorant companies

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2015, 11:40:40 PM »

You should be catching every drop in cisterns. But i'm sure most of it runs into drainage and back into ocean.  :( Californians don't know yet they live mostly in a desert.

I hate to say it but I don't think most people are going to be prepared for extended drought in CA. This is a 1,000 year drought event from what I have been reading. Time to start thinking about taking out those water hogs like avocados and citrus. Good food plants that thrive on low moisture; Prickly Pears (Opuntia sp.), Yucca baccata, Aloe sp., Acanthosicyos horridus, Cereus sp., etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:42:13 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2015, 12:51:58 AM »

I hate to say it but I don't think most people are going to be prepared for extended drought in CA. This is a 1,000 year drought event from what I have been reading. Time to start thinking about taking out those water hogs like avocados and citrus. Good food plants that thrive on low moisture; Prickly Pears (Opuntia sp.), Yucca baccata, Aloe sp., Acanthosicyos horridus, Cereus sp., etc.

Southern California is going to start looking like and feeling like Tucson, Aridzonea?  :o
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2015, 01:01:13 AM »

Southern California is going to start looking like and feeling like Tucson, Aridzonea?  :o

Its going to look like it, once the cheaper irrigation water is gone... I am not sure if the average home owner is going to be able to afford +$400 a month in water bills. Not sure how the guys with land down in Fallbrook, CA and San Diego County are going to keep any type of grove irrigated well without breaking the bank. I would watch CA avocado prices closely, Chile and Mexican avocados may start really undercutting CA avocados (I guess they will get chopped down and new homes built on the groves.). Not to mention all the Central, CA agri and homes...

Anyway, guess back on topic. I am going to update with some Luc's garcinia pics soon. I got some seedlings doing well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:06:21 AM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2015, 02:35:17 AM »
10 lucs garcinia seedlings in the making starting there new life in Brisbane Queensland. Thanks Luc.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2015, 05:18:41 PM »
My in ground plant is very small, a few inches, despite being in the ground for some time.  Yesterday I noticed what appears to be a sucker coming up from below the soil.  It is almost as tall as the original plant.  Has anyone else experienced this?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2015, 06:36:36 PM »
My in ground plant is very small, a few inches, despite being in the ground for some time.  Yesterday I noticed what appears to be a sucker coming up from below the soil.  It is almost as tall as the original plant.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I havenīt and I planted close to 500 over the years , maybe it is another seed coming up ??
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
This is my driest time and there has been hardly an inch of rain in the past 4 weeks but there should be more in the next few days.Western queensland is in drought like California and with 4 one in one hundred year drought events in the last 15 years people are questioning such estimates with only 130 years of records.
Back on topic my biggest Lucs mexican is only 3.5 feet high but 2 younger ones nearly 2 feet tall look healthier and are growing faster.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2015, 07:55:29 PM »

I havenīt and I planted close to 500 over the years , maybe it is another seed coming up ??

This is a single seed a fellow member here sent me.  I later bought more and they have been kept in a friend's slat house and look great.  Already twice the size of my one in the ground.  But as slow as these things are, they sure seem durable. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2015, 06:04:47 AM »
Raul, that creek looks so much like many I see hee with clear water,rocks and palm trees along the edges.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
Raul, that creek looks so much like many I see hee with clear water,rocks and palm trees along the edges.
yes Mike is very nice landscape, here we only have a 5 month rainy season June/ Octuber; then a few rains in Feb/March and the last two years we have rain in the last days of December; but that is not common, your bigger Limoncillo should be closer to fruit I think luc's one  start to flower just over a meter high; mine is also like a meter but is neglected in a slope and very rare ocasions I water it; even in rainy season, some of you wondering why I dont pay more attention to it, maybe cause theres many trees in the wild out there, now I should start looking for my white whale the maroon color one ; I saw the fruit once hanging on the tree; now it's all about getting the permission to go in that private land who owns a private canopy tour company; thats my next project for the next season cause without the fruit hanging I wouldn't be able to recognize the tree....
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2015, 03:37:21 AM »

It is actually 1.35m tall and has sun and wind damage.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »
got my hands on some seeds. was wondering what's the range in time for these seeds to germinate?  looking forward to tasting these guys.