Author Topic: SoCal Mangos season  (Read 36146 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Mangos season
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
Nice 007!  I see what you mean by "anemic" - but I thought you fed them?????
Part of the problem might be letting the small trees hold fruit - that can have a
"stunty" effect on their growth.  And I thought you also said you'd increased the
watering and that had had a good effect on their growth????

Anyway, they should come around....

Joe - A gorgeous MAHA just fell off the tree 3 days ago, and that one Keitt I picked way
back on July 16th (that wasn't ready for our tasting event)
is finally getting a little soft - I'd say, by tomorrow night I'll have eaten
one and then the next night the other.....

Gary

I had a Keitt fall today wont be ready for awhile. So far I've had three Glenns and a Haden. Maha any good?

mangoprofessor

• USA, California, Camarillo
    • View Profile
    • Southern California Plant Breeders
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2013, 10:17:58 PM »
Hello JF,

My collection is pretty big and it is mostly international.  I have been working with mangoes for almost 40 years now.  I am a low profile mango plant breeder.  I have ten new mango varieties in the patent process right now as cold hardy for California.  That one big mango tree is a beauty, and it sounds like you have a pretty impressive collection yourself.  How long have you been growing mangoes?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »
Hello JF,

My collection is pretty big and it is mostly international.  I have been working with mangoes for almost 40 years now.  I am a low profile mango plant breeder.  I have ten new mango varieties in the patent process right now as cold hardy for California.  That one big mango tree is a beauty, and it sounds like you have a pretty impressive collection yourself.  How long have you been growing mangoes?

Hi mangoprofessor

I've been collecting mangos for 4 yrs. I would love to taste your california mangos. I'm having a mango tasting in sept. you are welcome to come. PMe if you are interested.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
Thanx Scott, JF, and Ethan. I will keep at it until I get it right.

Mangopooch, I have been feeding my soil since last year. I have been watering more this year. My soil is very poor in nutrients and it was confirmed by a soil analysis. All the trees that I took pictures of have been planted this year. An you're absolutely right, letting them hold fruit definitely will stunt their growth. That's what happens when one has unrealistic expectation and lack of patience. We'll see how these fruit will taste. I think next year will be much better.

Nice 007!  I see what you mean by "anemic" - but I thought you fed them?????
Part of the problem might be letting the small trees hold fruit - that can have a
"stunty" effect on their growth.  And I thought you also said you'd increased the
watering and that had had a good effect on their growth????

Anyway, they should come around....

Joe - A gorgeous MAHA just fell off the tree 3 days ago, and that one Keitt I picked way
back on July 16th (that wasn't ready for our tasting event)
is finally getting a little soft - I'd say, by tomorrow night I'll have eaten
one and then the next night the other.....

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
Here is pictures from the tree in Artesia, CA

Nullzy, I missed this pic what a beauty!! I miss a couple pics of loaded trees around here see if I can post them later this week.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
yet another La Habra monster mango. This one is a Keitt seedling 20 years old, mango Superior. It turns completly red when fully ripen. The mango weights 2 plus pounds, fiberless, gold flesh very juicy and sweet....ripens in early October, November

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
...good GOD what a beautiful sight!

MangoesForDogs

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »
...good GOD what a beautiful sight!

MangoesForDogs

MangoDog, you have been right in front of this mango trees when the mangos were as red as a tomato, remember? Too bad they won't be ready for the mango tasting...

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »
I went looking for the mango trees in sherman heights mentioned in this thred
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29531-mango-trees/
And only found one small tree without fruit.

Edit: now that i double check the map i see that my grid was actually golden hill. Will have to go back.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:54:01 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
I know JF, but still a purty sight!!!!!!!!!!

mangoes4dogs

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »
To 007 and others planting new mango plants.   I ecco what JF said about letting a young tree hold fruit.  My advice is for the first two years, when the tree blooms, let the fruit get to the size of a large marble and then strip the tree of fruit.  That keeps the tree from re-blooming and will force the tree to put all of its energy into growth.  If you give it enough water during the summer, the young tree should be big enough to carry mangoes by the third year.  Remember mangoes will grow deep roots if you give them a good soak when you water.  Don't rely on the sprinklers of the lawn as a means to water your mango trees.  If you follow those simple rules you will end up with beautiful, productive trees like JF.  Nice pictures by the way.

EddieMunozep

• Lake Elsinore, Ca. USDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
JF ,
I saw where you posted pics of many trees from orange county and from the chino area.

Do you have addresses or cross streets?

My brother lives in chino so when I visit I would like to go see the trees my self.

thanks

Eddie Munoz
Eddie from El Paso, Texas

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2013, 11:17:32 PM »
Hello JF  here is an update on our new mango varieties.  I have attached a few pictures of some of ours.  The first pix is a plate of our Tequila Sunrise mangoes.  The second pix is one of our brand new varieties we are calling the Parrot Mango due to the outstanding color combination.  The new one is also very aromatic and sweet.

Tim Thompson

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:16 AM »
Hello JF  here is an update on our new mango varieties.  I have attached a few pictures of some of ours.  The first pix is a plate of our Tequila Sunrise mangoes.  The second pix is one of our brand new varieties we are calling the Parrot Mango due to the outstanding color combination.  The new one is also very aromatic and sweet.

Tim Thompson

Very attractive looking fruit.  I would love to try them. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2013, 01:01:09 AM »
I went looking for the mango trees in sherman heights mentioned in this thred
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29531-mango-trees/
And only found one small tree without fruit.

Edit: now that i double check the map i see that my grid was actually golden hill. Will have to go back.
There is a large mango right at the National ave. exit of the I-5 south, the tree is in front of a house near the Shell station. The fruit is small, I haven't tasted it though.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »

Tim Thompson

Beautiful fruits Tim! Looking forward to try them soon.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
Those are some beautiful fruit for sure!! 8)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »

Tim Thompson

Thanks for posting these lovely fruits.  Have you described the trees they came from elsewhere?  If not any additional description of the tree, growth habit, productivity, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
Tim - those are real beauties!!!!!!!!!

Would love to taste them as well....the Parrot Mango!

How about somebody coming up with a new mango
called the Rainbow Mango?

Gary

EddieMunozep

• Lake Elsinore, Ca. USDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »

So can anyone share addresses of mango tree specimens in and around fallbrook California. Also anyone growing mangos in lake Elsinore?
Eddie from El Paso, Texas

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
Hello friends,  regarding the questions about the Tequila Sunrise and Parrot mangoes.  The Tequila Sunrise mango is one of our new ones being patented.  The Parrot mango is one from our breeding program that has fruited for the first time this year.  Several people asked for details on the plants and their source.  With all of the new mango varieties we are developing, we first evaluate the seedling plants to determine if they will grow in our Southern California climate without any special care or protection. At our Camarillo location, we see temperatures in the 30 degree range nearly every year.  All our seedling mangoes must be able to handle more frost than the tropical varieties.  They must also grow outdoors with full exposure to our cool, damp Spring and Fall weather which promotes powdery mildew on your rose bushes.  Any of our seedling mango trees that show vulnerability to our levels of frost, fungal infections or pests like thrips are culled.   The mango seedlings that show the most vigor are retained to see what kind of fruit they will produce.  The average seedling mango plants will take from 8 to 10 years or more to fruit for the first time.  The Parrot mango, for example, came from a mango seed that we planted in 1998.  The new variety development program is not quick and easy.  This year is the first year the Parrot mango and several others  that were planed in the 1990's produced fruit.  We have attached below, pictures of 2 more mangoes, we have also fruited for the first time this year.  All of these will have to continue to be evaluated for an additional two or three years.  We will need to verify that the production will continue at an acceptable level and not exhibit any tendency to alternate bearing.  We want to see good, consistent production of good tasting fruit before we will consider recommending any new mango variety to anyone whether they are a back yard gardener or commercial farmer. 

Tim Thompson

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:06 PM »
Professor how far are you from the second generation hybrids?
Shane

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Hello friends,  regarding the questions about the Tequila Sunrise and Parrot mangoes.  The Tequila Sunrise mango is one of our new ones being patented.  The Parrot mango is one from our breeding program that has fruited for the first time this year.  Several people asked for details on the plants and their source.  With all of the new mango varieties we are developing, we first evaluate the seedling plants to determine if they will grow in our Southern California climate without any special care or protection. At our Camarillo location, we see temperatures in the 30 degree range nearly every year.  All our seedling mangoes must be able to handle more frost than the tropical varieties.  They must also grow outdoors with full exposure to our cool, damp Spring and Fall weather which promotes powdery mildew on your rose bushes.  Any of our seedling mango trees that show vulnerability to our levels of frost, fungal infections or pests like thrips are culled.   The mango seedlings that show the most vigor are retained to see what kind of fruit they will produce.  The average seedling mango plants will take from 8 to 10 years or more to fruit for the first time.  The Parrot mango, for example, came from a mango seed that we planted in 1998.  The new variety development program is not quick and easy.  This year is the first year the Parrot mango and several others  that were planed in the 1990's produced fruit.  We have attached below, pictures of 2 more mangoes, we have also fruited for the first time this year.  All of these will have to continue to be evaluated for an additional two or three years.  We will need to verify that the production will continue at an acceptable level and not exhibit any tendency to alternate bearing.  We want to see good, consistent production of good tasting fruit before we will consider recommending any new mango variety to anyone whether they are a back yard gardener or commercial farmer. 

Tim Thompson

Very good news Tim. We need a couple more Tim Thompson in Socal.

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
Hello JF, regarding the fruiting season question.  At my Camarillo location in Ventura County, our Tequila Sunrise mango is has now finished and the mid season mangoes are ready to pick.  My season begins in mid September and will end in mid December.  Those pictures of the mango trees are terrific and someone asked about how the trees owners pick their fruit.  I remember the guy who used a pole and the mangoes hit the hard ground pretty hard so were bruised.  We have been corresponding with people in other parts of the world who are experimenting with different techniques to grow mangoes and have a good solution.  In India researchers have come up with a growth management system where they keep standard variety mango trees to a maximum height of about 9 or 10 feet so they can be picked by hand with out ladders.  My son Tony, created a diagram to illustrate this technique for us to share with our friends.  For the commercial grower, they can get more pounds per acre of trees.  For the back yard gardener, you can grow more varieties in the same space and possibly spread your mango season out a little longer.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
Thank's! Very usefull diagram!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk