Author Topic: SoCal Mangos season  (Read 35966 times)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Mangos season
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2013, 05:44:14 AM »
Wow, those trees are beauties. Up in Vista at Paul Thompson's old place there are some huge old trees that put out some great mangos. I've tasted all of them and grafted a few up. Not sure of the names but all produce good fruit with no fiber. If anyone knows any of the types it'd be nice to know.

Here are a couple of mine down in Chula Vista, we don't get the heat so the fruit is far behind other SoCal areas.

Corriente heart shaped I have a Pickering fruit this year that is heart shaped also.

Kensington Pride

Heidi
Marklee, some of the old CRFG timers down there might know what seedling mango's Paul T. have like, Emory Walton or Leo Manual, sure a worth saving for sure!
Hi Scott,
I've asked JIm Neitzel and Leo Manuel about the trees and they don't know what they are named. One of them must be a T-1, and the others not sure. I've tried to get scions from all of them. About a 1/4 acre of cherimoyas were cut down to add another house there a couple of years ago. I did manage to get scions of one of the atemoyas on the property. It is a pretty big fruit and tasted pretty good, I grafted one up a few years ago and it has done fine.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2013, 10:48:12 AM »
Wow, those trees are beauties. Up in Vista at Paul Thompson's old place there are some huge old trees that put out some great mangos. I've tasted all of them and grafted a few up. Not sure of the names but all produce good fruit with no fiber. If anyone knows any of the types it'd be nice to know.

Here are a couple of mine down in Chula Vista, we don't get the heat so the fruit is far behind other SoCal areas.

Corriente heart shaped I have a Pickering fruit this year that is heart shaped also.

Kensington Pride

Heidi
Marklee, some of the old CRFG timers down there might know what seedling mango's Paul T. have like, Emory Walton or Leo Manual, sure a worth saving for sure!
Hi Scott,
I've asked JIm Neitzel and Leo Manuel about the trees and they don't know what they are named. One of them must be a T-1, and the others not sure. I've tried to get scions from all of them. About a 1/4 acre of cherimoyas were cut down to add another house there a couple of years ago. I did manage to get scions of one of the atemoyas on the property. It is a pretty big fruit and tasted pretty good, I grafted one up a few years ago and it has done fine.

Jim and Leo have several interesting selections that I like. I don't know if they are from Thomson's old place but I would love to get my hands on Peggy, T1 and giant rose .

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
Marklee, I was looking in old 'Fruit Gardener" mags and found article that mentioned two cultivars that Paul T. had were Edgehill and Thomson, I'll have to check some more thru old mags to see if any reference to Paul T. mangos. I found one article by Paul T. in 1969 YearBook pp 9-21 in index of CRFG publications, my collection of mags only go's back to 1979. I'll keep looking thru old mags if I find any thing I'll let you know. ;)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
Marklee, I was looking in old 'Fruit Gardener" mags and found article that mentioned two cultivars that Paul T. had were Edgehill and Thomson, I'll have to check some more thru old mags to see if any reference to Paul T. mangos. I found one article by Paul T. in 1969 YearBook pp 9-21 in index of CRFG publications, my collection of mags only go's back to 1979. I'll keep looking thru old mags if I find any thing I'll let you know. ;)

Scott, Jim Nitzel told us last year that Leo took cutting from Mr. Thomson and  Colonal Bucklew yards as well as other influential SoCal mango growers. They have quite a large selection that are not publish in the Fruit Gardener. For example, the Giant Rose is a large creamy, sweet, fruity mango  with a peachy taste.

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
Scott, when they built the houses on his property, I suspect the new owners didn't pick and choose which mangos to keep. The street is more manicured with existing mangos to keep the properties looking nice. I had a fruit a few years back from the only mango tree on the south east end and the fruit was large, very good, and no fiber. I grafted a piece of it a few years ago and it flowered for the first time this year, I pulled the little fruit to get the tree to grow stronger, next year I may keep one or two on. The only problem with the trees on the east side of the street is the owner who isn't that nice doesn't water so I haven't scene any fruits on the trees the last few years. On the other side of the street the trees are loaded each year, and the owner is very nice.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »
Found out from and old article that the varieties ;' T-1' and 'Thomson' were seedlings that Paul T. took from Old Mango that was on the property when he bought the place in Vista. That old tree was called Edgehill because his property was at end of Edgehill street at the time. That's very cool that your saving some of those varieties hopefully will grow strong for you!
Joe, there has to be a treasure drove of Mangos down in that area with all those people experimenting with them for all those years back when! Looking through the old F.G. I found out Orton H. Englehart registered a Ortonio avocado witch I had never heard of compared to Creamhart which I have heard of!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
Joe - thanks so much for posting all those pics of those ridiculously abundant
mango trees.  I had that other Kent that I picked to eat 2 nights ago (remember
I had picked 2 and we opened one at the event?) and it was so good.  Also, the 2 keitts I
picked - still rock hard - seems like that is a tough one to force to ripen.  Oh, and
had one of my Manilas last night - really different than the "neighbor's" manila that
we all hated.  Mine has a sweet complexity to it.....really good!

Yeah, mis-aligned Manilas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
Joe - thanks so much for posting all those pics of those ridiculously abundant
mango trees.  I had that other Kent that I picked to eat 2 nights ago (remember
I had picked 2 and we opened one at the event?) and it was so good.  Also, the 2 keitts I
picked - still rock hard - seems like that is a tough one to force to ripen.  Oh, and
had one of my Manilas last night - really different than the "neighbor's" manila that
we all hated.  Mine has a sweet complexity to it.....really good!

Yeah, mis-aligned Manilas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Gary, I think we should try to have the tasting next year in August. I'll probably have 3 or 4 varieties ready by that time. In my tasting in August I will try to have some of the seedlings shown for sampling.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Yes, Joe, I really think I'll have more varieties and more tree-ripened fruits, at least at my
place, if we hold it more like in mid-August next year....just a guess....live and learn, brother!!

Sounds like you're going to have a nice event yourself in another month or so!

G

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »
Yes, Joe, I really think I'll have more varieties and more tree-ripened fruits, at least at my
place, if we hold it more like in mid-August next year....just a guess....live and learn, brother!!

Sounds like you're going to have a nice event yourself in another month or so!

G

Yes Gary. I was thinking August 26?? If not, I can probably wait until the second week of September when I get back from Miami??

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
Found out from and old article that the varieties ;' T-1' and 'Thomson' were seedlings that Paul T. took from Old Mango that was on the property when he bought the place in Vista. That old tree was called Edgehill because his property was at end of Edgehill street at the time. That's very cool that your saving some of those varieties hopefully will grow strong for you!
Joe, there has to be a treasure drove of Mangos down in that area with all those people experimenting with them for all those years back when! Looking through the old F.G. I found out Orton H. Englehart registered a Ortonio avocado witch I had never heard of compared to Creamhart which I have heard of!
Here are some photos from yesterday of the mangoes at Thomson's edgehill property. The first one is of the mango that is not cared for, it seems to be the oldest one there, I had a fruit from it maybe 5 years ago and it was large and no fiber, looked like a VP. I grafted one a few years back, and recently obtained some scions again. I have a few left if anyone in the area wants to pick some up, I only have three pieces left about the size of a sharpie. So now the tree is never watered along with the lychees, longans, guavas, cherimoyas etc. on that side of the street.
Sorry about the quality of the photos, they were taken with a phone.

Old Edgehill Mango

mangoprofessor

• USA, California, Camarillo
    • View Profile
    • Southern California Plant Breeders
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
Hello JF,

I saw your beautiful big mango tree, wow!!  Great pictures!  I am an old guy and new to forums so I am learning the ropes.  Where are you located?  I am also growing mangoes and I am between Santa Barbara and L.A. - a little inland from the coast.

Tim

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
Quite fat and luscious looking, Mark!  Wonder how they taste!

Welcome Professor - there's 12-15 SoCal growers (or maybe more now) that are into
this craze - do you have any pictures of what is growing at your place? What you could
do would be to start a New Post!  Would love to see what you have.....

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2013, 07:44:43 PM »
Hello JF,

I saw your beautiful big mango tree, wow!!  Great pictures!  I am an old guy and new to forums so I am learning the ropes.  Where are you located?  I am also growing mangoes and I am between Santa Barbara and L.A. - a little inland from the coast.

Tim

Tim, I'm located in La Habra, North Orage County, what varieties do you grow in Camarillo?

Mark, nice trees! I need to get down there and check out Paul's old mango trees. Which are the T-1.

Gary, I think we have more than 25 SoCal mango growers in this forum they are just shy. Btw, how were your last Keitts and Maha Chanoks??

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »
If you guys included all of CA's mango growers.....there'd be even more!  8)

Welcome Tim.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »
Thanks for posting the pic's Marklee, those were some nice looking trees what were the one that were loaded with fruit?

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »
Here are some pics of my anemic mangos this year:

Valencia Pride

Rapoza

Pim Sem Mun

Maha

Nam Doc Mai

Edwards

Keitt

These are all fruiting for the first time this year.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:15:31 PM by cuban007 »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »

Wow...Great mango trees!! Amazing to see all those fruits on them, ...Congrats!! Great job!!

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
Thanks for posting the pic's Marklee, those were some nice looking trees what were the one that were loaded with fruit?
Scott, I don't know the names of any of the trees he planted, they are supposedly seedlings and he picked the best ones. I have tried all of them and they are all real good.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »

Wow...Great mango trees!! Amazing to see all those fruits on them, ...Congrats!! Great job!!

Thanx puglvr1, it hasn't been easy.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2013, 03:42:46 PM »
Nice 007, good selection of trees too.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2013, 04:30:33 PM »

Thanx puglvr1, it hasn't been easy.
Cuban007

Nothing good is easy...congratulations on a job well done!!btw, that is not a meager crop, you have more mangos than MangoDog this year.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
Nice trees Cuba007, that's alot of fruit on those little guys, good luck with growth very cool. ;) 8)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
I would like to hear from folks from the Valley, Santa Barbara and the SouthBay area. So far we have reports from San Diego, Inland Empire, Los Angeles, Coachella and Orange County.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
Nice 007!  I see what you mean by "anemic" - but I thought you fed them?????
Part of the problem might be letting the small trees hold fruit - that can have a
"stunty" effect on their growth.  And I thought you also said you'd increased the
watering and that had had a good effect on their growth????

Anyway, they should come around....

Joe - A gorgeous MAHA just fell off the tree 3 days ago, and that one Keitt I picked way
back on July 16th (that wasn't ready for our tasting event)
is finally getting a little soft - I'd say, by tomorrow night I'll have eaten
one and then the next night the other.....

Gary