Author Topic: Sir Prize Avocados from Mexico?  (Read 4046 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Sir Prize Avocados from Mexico?
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:37:40 AM »
My wife went shopping and picked up an avocado. But it is obviously not a Hass. I am 99% sure it is a Sir Prize (which is an avocado that I really like). About twice as large as a normal Hass, but not quite as large as a Lamb. It has the funny 'ridges' on the stem end. And we just cut it open for breakfast. It has the beautiful creamy texture, medium seed for a large avocado (great flesh/seed ratio), slightly richer nutty flavor than a Hass, and no oxidation whatsoever over a 20 minute period.

The sticker did not say Sir Prize and my wife said the sign at the store was not labeled as Sir Prize.

It is too early in the season for Sir Prize avocados from California (which want to ripen around March-April if I am not mistaken), but the avocado growing region in Mexico can produce avocados nearly year round.

Has anybody heard of Mexican avocado producers growing (and exporting) anything other than Hass?

At any rate, this is exciting because Sir Prize is a superior avocado, I really love them. Not as much as my favorite Reeds, but I can still count on getting those at my local Whole Foods in September.
- Mark

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Prize Avocados from Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
We spend several months in Mexico each year.  Lots of avocados are available, most are "Hass-like" and quite good due to growing conditions.  I have been to several orchards and commonly will find seedling trees.  Grafting is becoming more prevalent, so you could find a genuine Hass (or Sir Prize) or seedlings.  Avocados are an essential item to Mexican fare.

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »
I've got a sir prize tree.... The avocados have been great recently, so I keep picking them.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:25:50 PM »
I've got a sir prize tree.... The avocados have been great recently, so I keep picking them.

They are excellent and they hang on the tree until mid spring

small seed and paper thin skin

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:42:55 PM by JF »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »
JF and goosteen,

That is awesome! So really Sir Prize is a winter avocado (which I normally associate winter avocados with Fuerte and Pinkerton, two more of my faves) but will hang ton the tree until mid-Spring? That is great to know that this awesome avocado has an extended harvest period.

Jack,

Nice, yeah I have read a lot statements talking about ideal growing conditions for avocados in southern Mexico. That is interesting that there are a lot of seedling trees in orchards. Are those fruits grown for domestic use? Because I have never seen a Mexican grown avocado that was not a Hass (exported Mexican avocaods), the exception being this weekend.
- Mark

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
<blockquote>Nice, yeah I have read a lot statements talking about ideal growing conditions for avocados in southern Mexico. That is interesting that there are a lot of seedling trees in orchards. Are those fruits grown for domestic use? Because I have never seen a Mexican grown avocado that was not a Hass (exported Mexican avocaods), the exception being this weekend.</blockquote>

I've been seeing some Mexican-grown Avocados in the store recently (but only at this time of year) that seem to be some sort of relative of Hass but not the real thing.  They taste fine, though there's a noticeable difference in the skin (more prominent ridges rather than bumps, more purple coloration, a little more fiber than true Hass).

LFZ

• San Diego, CA / Pacific Beach / 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
We just purchased a home and it has a Sir Prize in the backyard. We are located near the coast in San Diego. Can someone share harvest times? We harvested several fruit too early and they are watery. My guess is that we need to wait until Nov or Dec to harvest? I read that it takes 12-14 months for the fruit to develop. If so, will we have fruit every year? We probably had 100-150 fruit this year. Also is there anything else we need to know about sir prize trees? Thx

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
I'm in SD county. My SirPrize has yet to bear, so I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure someone will. (Brad?) Everyone I've talked to says their season is about the same as Fuerte, which starts around November and gets better through winter and even into spring. I'd love to see a photo of your tree. Please share if you can.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
I'm in SD county. My SirPrize has yet to bear, so I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure someone will. (Brad?) Everyone I've talked to says their season is about the same as Fuerte, which starts around November and gets better through winter and even into spring. I'd love to see a photo of your tree. Please share if you can.
Harvest starts around January here in California.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
Yes, I know I'm in a much different clime than you guys, but, if I had to guess my Sir Prize will be ready come January.  I grafted a Frankencado last year  to an well established Waldin rootstock with 3 other varieties/grafts and the Sir Prize is just kicking ass regarding production and vigor.  Out of about 8 that set this year I left 4 which are at least a pound or better.  Beautiful fruit!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 06:35:37 PM »
After 250 fruits 50-60 left and they have been outstanding since January

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
Nice Frank! Fruit and tree are gorgeous!
- Mark