Author Topic: Cherimoya pruning  (Read 1565 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Cherimoya pruning
« on: July 19, 2020, 12:50:37 AM »
My cherimoyas have grown very big, and tought I like that, in the winter they are house plants and I am thinking I should prune them hard . They are seedlings ,so will hard pruning make them mature slower and delay fruiting. What should I do , tnx.  :)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya pruning
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 02:27:18 AM »
Cherimoya doesn't mind hard pruning, but the fruit can weigh several pounds, and you will need a lot of foliage and roots to support even a single fruit.

If you don't have a greenhouse, I wouldn't count on getting fruit from the trees.

Fruit like figs are a different story, as they rarely exceed a quarter of a pound, so getting fruit off a potted tree is feasible, but cherimoya are rarely less than a pound, and they have lots of skin and seeds.

Still very ornamental and excellent smelling blooms, but that's looking through rose-tinted glasses.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »
Sad news .....well I really like them as plants and will grow them ,and hope for fruit some day. 1 fruit from a plant is enough for me. Tanx for the reply !

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 01:12:48 PM »
I have on in my greenhouse and I have to prune it aggressively, it grows fast.  If you place yours outdoors in warmer season and next to a bright window in cool seasons, you will have your best chance at fruit.

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 07:54:06 PM »
Like others have commented, cherimoyas can take a hard pruning. The reason why you would want to do a hard pruning is that they actually fruit on new growth. That being said, if your cherimoyas are seedlings, it could take a few years before you see any flowers forming. Though overall, your plants look great and in no time you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 03:16:36 AM »
You may want to pay a visit to this thread about the topic:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21973.0

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »
Brian , actually I am doing just that, in the summer out and in winter near a south facing window .

Dmwong93 , tnx and yeah, seedlings ,this is their third or second summer, not sure. They are very young and still very big ,and will get bigger....I supose there will be some scandals with my parents , cuz all the plants in winter take so much space in the house ..... ;D.

Jose Spain , thanks for the link !

Soo the general consensus seems to be that the pruning is best done in spring ,and I am wondering should I prune now or in spring . All this new growth u see has happened from the start of april when I pruned and stripped the leaves of the plants. Should I promote new growth now ,or is it better to do like last year ,and for now just pinch any new growth ? 
 I am thinking of pattern of actions like so : prune and strip in early spring, let it grow all summer , tie it compact for winter and etc  ....

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »
You should prune whenever they need it.  It doesn't have to be in spring.  I've got to cut mine 2 or 3x a year. 
Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
I did it !!! I pruned them moyas  :D. From the pruned point down I leaved the top leaf and removed two to three leaves for stimulating branching . I hope I did not messed something . What do u guys think ,is it okay now ?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
On some plants the top leaves suppress lower buds from pushing.
Best to remove top leaves.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »
On some plants the top leaves suppress lower buds from pushing.
Best to remove top leaves.
I decided to leave them be so the plant starts to branch lower, and maybe I am experimenting a little now with them . In what period do u think the buds should start to swell ??
Actually now I remembered...in the winter when I removed old started to age leaves, the exposed nodes did always make new growth, and the leaves that were above the nodes didnt really seem tho hinder the growth ...

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »
I tip all new growth at about 12-14", and then prune 70% of the new branches off each season and try to shape it along the way into a nice poofy tree.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »
K-Rimes , my goal is similar, compact since have no space in winter. I have the crazy feeling that one ot the trees will surprise me with flowers now on the upcoming growth , one can only dream  ;D No matter what happens, I will post update of the trees in a month !

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 06:13:37 AM »
UPDATE ! Here are my moyas after the pruning, they have grown and branched wonderffull . Have anyone seen such branching on the new growths ??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk