Author Topic: Your most reliable mango trees. That will fruit every year no matter what.  (Read 11431 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
 Zands to meet your simple criteria - Manila - but not sure why you want something
so mediocre.....LOL......

Gary

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Zands to meet your simple criteria - Manila - but not sure why you want something
so mediocre.....LOL......

Gary

LOL, that was simple.... mine was Ataulfo after 3-4 yrs on the ground I had over 150 mangos. That same year I topworked the tree with 12 top tier varieties.

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
The Northern Rivers of New South Wales were I Previously lived has a real mango reliability problem. Some say cold temperatures at fruit set (<10C) or rain on the flowers, sometimes it is both. Apart from the rough bush mangoes that grow in the parks there is one standout variety, the Kwan Mangoe. If you read the blurb in the link you may get the impression that Kwan is the same as NDM only bigger.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/buy/mango-kwan-tree-grafted.htm

No, it doesn't have that deep candied flavor of the tree ripened NDM or the skinny seed or the near fiberless flesh. But it is not too bad and it doesn't split like NDM after a squirt of rain. The leaves can have a little anthrax but the fruit comes up pretty clean. My anecdote is of one tree in my front yard, it fruited for 5 years straight after I allowed it to flower. If anyone knows the origins of Kwan Mango please share as my Google foo ain't up to it   

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
My Fairchild has done well.   Major bloom this year.  Not going to spray as it will need to drop a lot of fruit to hold what is left.   

I had 11 mango on my Young last season in its first fruiting year, but it is loaded this year.    I may have to thin the fruit on it this time. 

Both have been easy to care for.   I caught 11 possums and 10 raccoon last season.  I did not have a single Young eaten, the Fairchild got all the business.   

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
My Carrie has horrible fruit set.   >:(
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
The most reliable trees in my yard are Lemion Meringue, NMD #4 and Carrie. I might add Kesar to that list depending on its performance this year. It is loaded with tiny fruits but I have started seeing signs of powdery mildew.

I have always thought that Kesar is a biennial bearer, no?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

Mine gave me a few fruits in 2014, about 20 last year and it is loaded with tiny mangoes right now. Doesn't look like it is a biennial bearer, at least in South Florida.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

Mine gave me a few fruits in 2014, about 20 last year and it is loaded with tiny mangoes right now. Doesn't look like it is a biennial bearer, at least in South Florida.

Same response as I made in the coco cream thread, young trees do not make good subjects for ststements of reliability.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile

Same response as I made in the coco cream thread, young trees do not make good subjects for ststements of reliability.

Rob, if the flowers are consumed by anthracnose without setting any fruit, are you saying the tree's resistance to anthracnose will improve substantially with time?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
Mark, not really making the statement with respect to disease resistance in general although i guess it may be possible for a plant's resistance to increase with age.  Some varieties are just more susceptible to certain issues and yes, location can play a role in the enhancement of such issues.

My statement was more generalized to young trees/grafts and the shortfalls age can have on a tree.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
Mark, not really making the statement with respect to disease resistance in general although i guess it may be possible for a plant's resistance to increase with age.  Some varieties are just more susceptible to certain issues and yes, location can play a role in the enhancement of such issues.

My statement was more generalized to young trees/grafts and the shortfalls age can have on a tree.

So after a grafted tree is 10-12' tall, does its bearing habits reflect the bearing habits of a "mature" tree?
www.FLMangos.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
No. Disease resistance is not purely a factor of the tree itself; it's a factor of a confluence of conditions. Even a normally productive, normally disease resistant cultivar can succumb to anthracnose if the conditions are right -- nutrient levels, humidity, rainfall, proximity to bodies of fresh water, proximity to ocean, size of baby fruits when anthracnose conditions are present, etc, etc. That is why you'll never find a universally true list of disease resistance rankings. If you look at the univesity of HI doc on anthracnose (http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/pd-48.pdf), you'll see that there is a table that lists cultivar anthracnose resistance based on country (see Table 2). Note, for example, that Carrie is "resistant" to antracnose in Australia and "susceptible" to anthracnose in the phillipines.

The issue that we face here in Florida is that the climatic conditions during fruit set can vary dramatically from year to year. Some years, temps fall into the 30's or 40's when bb-sized fruits are present. And other years (like this year), temps are in the high 80's with heavy rainfall and high humidity.

Trying to rank a mango tree's production or disease resistance based on one or two years of observation is like trying to rank stocks (or the stock market as a whole) based on a single year's performance. One looks at the "trend" over a long period of time and ignores individual years (unless one is foolish enough to think they can time the market).

Your best bet is to plant a wide range of cultivars to ensure that a contingent of trees are productive and good tasting. Ripping out trees to replace with new ones based on current performance will yield a monoculture of sorts where trees are selected based on a limited set of circumstances.

Two things are important in this hobby -- patience and land :-).

Rob, if the flowers are consumed by anthracnose without setting any fruit, are you saying the tree's resistance to anthracnose will improve substantially with time?
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile

So after a grafted tree is 10-12' tall, does its bearing habits reflect the bearing habits of a "mature" tree?

Unfortunately its age, not size.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I inspected my trees yesterday.  Many have had their crop decimated by Athracnose.  Worst I've seen in al long time :(

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Same here on Southern Blush, Rapoza, and Coconut Cream. 

Some trees with flowerings that opened in the last two weeks are also toast, NDM, and one of my Lemon Zest. Maha Chanok, which also opened in this timeframe, is not showing any signs and is looking good.

I inspected my trees yesterday.  Many have had their crop decimated by Athracnose.  Worst I've seen in al long time :(
Brandon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms

Yup, western community crops are going to be awful.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
The past couple of weeks saw a perfect confluence of conditions for anthracnose damage -- bb sized fruits combined with hot, humid and rainy weather.

I've been spraying religiously with copper soap (now with spreader sticker), and it seems to have mitigated the damage.
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
I sprayed copper last night but it rained this morning   >:(
Brandon

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
I sprayed a couple of weeks ago, just 1 time.  Been too busy to do any more than that.  At this point I think it is what it is.  Too late now to make a difference.  Next year I am going to be much more aggressive if I can find the time.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I would appreciate it if someone could post photos of mango panicle destruction from anthacnose. My trees, I don't see any blackened mango panicles. Though I do have my suspicions because I see some half inch size mangoes with one or two small black spots. Maybe these panicles were hit by it?

Powdery mildew fungus, I know it when I see it

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
When I was getting my mango trees a few months back, I visited a nursery a little further up the Hamakua coast.  I asked him what varieties were reliable producers in our wet climate and he quickly replied Brooks Late.  I recalled hearing of the clone but it was not on my list of tasty / anthracnose resistant clones so I asked him about flavor.  His response was "um .... not one of my favorites" (from his response, I suspect it was no where near one of his favorites).  So, it sounds like it fits the bill for this topic (reliability, not flavor).

John

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
I would appreciate it if someone could post photos of mango panicle destruction from anthacnose. My trees, I don't see any blackened mango panicles. Though I do have my suspicions because I see some half inch size mangoes with one or two small black spots. Maybe these panicles were hit by it?

bsbullie

• View Profile

Charred...
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile

Thanks so much SD for your photos of mango panicles with anthracnose. One photo shows more blackened stem and flowers than the other. I am going to compare them with what I have outside
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:30:35 PM by zands »

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
My potted Cogshall had horrible fruit set but my potted Pickering has a ton of small bb sized fruits.  The Pickering is a machine!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk