Author Topic: The Story Of Dr. Moy & Cold Hardy Citrus  (Read 1532 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile

dlhvac

• love to grow citrus and mangoes avocado
    • durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: The Story Of Dr. Moy & Cold Hardy Citrus
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »
Great info millet I read about the two varieties but it did not say who developed them thanks great info

LBurford

• USA, Arkansas, Taylor, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:47:11 PM »
I enjoyed the story

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:32 AM »
Enjoyed the read Millet. I find that the Frost Owari is as cold hardy as regular Owari in my area. Side by side wintering results are unremakable. Would like to hear other opinions

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 11:43:34 PM »
I found that my Arctic Frost unfortunately did not survive for me. It was initially growing inside, and may have been transferred outside in the ground too early in March. It suffered some severe die-back. Probably had trouble handling the sudden transition from warm rapid growing conditions to colder outside. It was later able to grow out a green branch one and a half feet long with several big leaves on it, but it did not survive through the winter. I do wonder of course if maybe it had not suffered the die-back in the first place, it might have been in a better position to survive through the following winter. But this does seem to demonstrate to me that Arctic Frost does not seem to demonstrate very clear hardiness to cold in this climate. The plant was also growing on its own roots, and was about 2 feet high when planted outside.

Pacific Northwest, zone 8a.

I know jim VH is growing a big St. Ann Early Satsuma tree 2 hours south of here in Vancouver (across the bridge from Portland) but he puts some light protection over his tree with christmas lights during the winter. He has one Changsha mandarin growing outside next to his house that he doesn't protect, on trifoliate rootstock.

I'm sure Arctic Frost probably does better in other zone 8a climates that are not so far north.

Arctic Frost is not as hardy as Yuzu. My little Yuzu tree survived, though it was on Flying Dragon rootstock. The Yuzu even managed to hold on to slightly less than half its leaves, through the winter, and those leaves eventually recovered.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
My Arctic frost trees do not appear to be more cold hardy than my Owaris, perhaps a little less.  My Arctic frost, Owari and Bumper trees were all planted at the same time, Spring of 2017.  I have yet to have a fruit on the Arctic frost trees.  The Owaris have given my dozens of fruits the last two years.  The bumper has yet to impress me.  They have a few fruits hanging this year, but appear to be big and puffy.  One tree has 2 fruits, one has 6 fruits and one has 0. Maybe with time they will improve. The bumper is less cold hardy than Owari, Kishu, Dekopon, Juanita, Okitsu and others IMO.

TFN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk