Author Topic: Leaves falling off lemon tree  (Read 1386 times)

MattH

• Stony Plain
    • View Profile
Leaves falling off lemon tree
« on: October 12, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
Hello, was just looking for some assistance with my lemon tree. I initially purchased an organic lemon and grew it from seed. It's about 2 1/2 years old. In July it looked very good, maybe a couple yellowing leaves.

Now it has almost no leaves. Last week I changed the soil and added a small amount of nitrogen. I don't believe I've been over watering, but maybe? I don't get a lot of natural light, so I've been assisting them with a 60w grow light. My best window faces east, so it gets natural morning light.

I'm hoping I don't lose it, so any assistance would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Leaves falling off lemon tree
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 12:21:36 PM »
How much and how often are you watering your tree? Lemon treez in pots need a complete fertilize and trace elements. When and how are you fertilizing. Just from the pictures it looks like a case of no nutrients.  Whwn you repotted did you check for root problems?  If the tree has been in the same location for 2.5 years I doubt that light and location are suspect. Lastly did you inspect for pest? Close up of leaves would help.

MattH

• Stony Plain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I water about once every 1.5-2 weeks, but don't check the volume. I watered them yesterday. Once a month I will use a liquid plant food. I didn't notice any root problems, but I'm honestly not sure what to look for. They were all the way to the bottom of the current pot. It didn't have any drainage holes in it, so I drilled out some holes and put a tray underneath. When I changed the soil last week I used a miricle grow potting mix.

At one point last year their were a bunch of little flies around the plants, but I was able to remedy that.

Here's a picture of the plant food I've been using and a closer picture of the leaves(some of the few remaining)

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
It looks like you had a water issue. Never use a pot without weep holes in it. Citrus needs a good drink until it runs from the weep holes. I would think that an inside container with that small of a tree would not need water for at least 8 to ten days. I like to let the top several inches dry out before I water. Root damage will occur when roots sit in water. I recommed the 5,1,1 mix for soil in indoor pots. At least a good citrus cactus mix. It is fast draining an remains so that roots can get what they need. As far as fertilize I use osmocote plus. Has most of what citrus needs. You may need a little chelated iron....the tree will tell you if it needs it. Your present tree may be ok since you repotted and added fertilize in a pot with weep holes and it may no since we dont know if there was root damage. The program now is to keep it watered, fertilized and in the right environment. Dont expect recovery in a week....it took a while to decline and it will take time to recover. If it goes to that big garden in the sky....start over with a good grafted tree, right pot, right water, right fertilize and the right soil mixture.  You should have a healty tree, blooms in short order and fruit shortly. Good luck and welcom to the forum.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »
One thing is for absolutely sure.  The problem is in the soil.  Miracle Grow potting soil is basically just a bag of peat moss.  It compacts rather quickly leaving the roots without the proper oxygen. As Bomand suggested a 5-1-1  mix, meaning 5 parts bark such as Reptibark, one part peat, and one part perlite is a good medium for citrus.  Laaz, a member on this forum, has a good formulation for citrus.  You can find it on this forum. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:07:36 PM by Millet »

MattH

• Stony Plain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies. It was actually my local garden center that recommended the soil. I'll give the 5-1-1 mix a try.

Thanks again

CanadaGrower

• Vancouver, BC, Canada Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:13:03 PM »
You should also think about using some epsom salt and dissolving it in hot water. I had some yellowing leaves a while back and it seems to have improved quite a bit; pretty soon I am going to start putting a tiny bit of rock dust/azomite. As for nutes I use Jack's 25-5-15 and magnesium among other micronutrients seem to be missing I know it was incredibly hard to find Jack's locally and had to resort to driving down to the US to get it, but it was WELL worth it. I've been growing and failing to get good growth on citrus until I switched to Jack's last year. The difference it has made has been nothing short of incredible.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
I agree with Canadagrower concerning Jacks 25-5-15.  In my estimation it is the best fertilizer on the market for citrus.

daytripper

• Long Island, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 02:40:53 PM »
For those of you who have trouble finding it, Jack 25-5-15 is sold on Amazon.