Author Topic: Foliar Feeding  (Read 41789 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Foliar Feeding
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
Turf Pro Usa!!!
Organic and amazing product!

I use it all the time, with very little actual fertilizer put down on roots!

GOOD LUCK!

I hear the owner of the company turf pro, drinks the product to prove its safe... :P :) ;D

Adam

I talked to a company rep last week and I ordered a gallon of Turf and Garden Pro and of MegaGreen. What can you tell me about MegaGreen? How often do you apply these products?

JF

Megagreen is a fish hydrolysate. What most people do not know is that fish emulsion and a fish hydrolysate vary drastically, in their benefits to plants.

Emulsions have been put through processes that require high temperatures. These temperature kill many of the benefits of fish fertilizers.

Hydrolysates are fish parts that have been ground very fine is a manner that they still have amino acids a and other helpful ingredients the emulsions lack.

The big point is, that the our product and the Megagreen work well together but do not mix them together and let them set for more than a day. The biology in our product starts to reproduce at a fantastic rate when it gets a food source like Megagreen and things start to expand and the smell is not nice. It does very dramatically demonstrate how well the products work together.

above text was modified and quoted from an representative from Turfpro.

Keep in mind, I am not a salesperson for this product, I just use it and believe it in...

If you order some, don't forget to mention my name (ADAM), and the fact that you are using it because you want it improve fruit trees!

You may get a discount...I'm seeing if they can give one...

Hope it works for you as well as it works for me...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:47:57 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations on a liquid soap sticker/spreader?  Any to avoid?

I would try a organic glycerin soap. Something like this should work well http://www.vitaminherbstore.com/glycerinhandsoappeppermint12oz.aspx

Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. Most health foods sell it. If you are trying to repel insects you can use the Eucalyptus Dr. Bronners. All the liquid dishwashing soaps will work, but those usually have artificial fragrances, colors, etc.
Oscar

Emmanuel Bronner???

Escaped from insane asylum and made soap!! Self proclaimed doctor as well...no real degree!!! He was wild!!! completely blind as well in his later years, and almost totally blind even before throughout his earlier life.

All one! All one! or none!  hahaha!

He is a real character, there is a documentary about him I just saw...stream it on youtube or netflix...but bronners soap does it all i'm sure!

thanks for the info Oscar.

I recommend his soap, not his philosophy.  ::)
Oscar
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
Turf Pro Usa!!!
Organic and amazing product!

I use it all the time, with very little actual fertilizer put down on roots!

GOOD LUCK!

I hear the owner of the company turf pro, drinks the product to prove its safe... :P :) ;D

Adam

I talked to a company rep last week and I ordered a gallon of Turf and Garden Pro and of MegaGreen. What can you tell me about MegaGreen? How often do you apply these products?

JF

Megagreen is a fish hydrolysate. What most people do not know is that fish emulsion and a fish hydrolysate vary drastically, in their benefits to plants.

Emulsions have been put through processes that require high temperatures. These temperature kill many of the benefits of fish fertilizers.

Hydrolysates are fish parts that have been ground very fine is a manner that they still have amino acids a and other helpful ingredients the emulsions lack.

The big point is, that the our product and the Megagreen work well together but do not mix them together and let them set for more than a day. The biology in our product starts to reproduce at a fantastic rate when it gets a food source like Megagreen and things start to expand and the smell is not nice. It does very dramatically demonstrate how well the products work together.

above text was modified and quoted from an representative from Turfpro.

Keep in mind, I am not a salesperson for this product, I just use it and believe it in...

If you order some, don't forget to mention my name (ADAM), and the fact that you are using it because you want it improve fruit trees!

You may get a discount...I'm seeing if they can give one...

Hope it works for you as well as it works for me...

Adam

I just got my delivery conformation and I notice that I mabe a mistake and bought two Turf and Garden Pro. I'm going to order the Megagreen now, I thought I bought the combo!!

JF 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
JF,

Let me know, and maybe they can fix the order???

I think you will be fine without megagreen, but maybe its a wonder product as well..I got a bottle today, and am going to start using it soon...

Mention me don't forget!

Remember if you don't like it, I might be interested in what product you have left....i buy it from you if you bought extra, or wrong product...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
Ordered up the ingredients for the custom foliar spray, plan is to do mostly foliar spray once a week with a soil drench once every 2 weeks.

Here is what I got so far;

1LB, 50/50 mix of Kelp Powder concentrate & Humic Acid 1-.23-6 (makes about 20 gals of foliar spray)

1 GAL, Fish Emulsion 5-1-1 (1-2 oz per gal, around 100 gals of foliar spray usage) Planning on switching to fish hydrolysate, when this runs out.

I was thinking of trying; GA3, IAA, BAP, and Fulvic acid, mixing in small amounts (amounts vary depending on instructions) to the foliar spray. Maybe a one time use, but have not read enough yet to use.

Soil drench will be about 1-2 oz of rock phosphate for per gal of water. Mixed with beneficial microbes (using MycoGrow Soluble) and compost tea.

Will see how the plants like it, I am looking forward to some results.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:12:55 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
Ordered up the ingredients for the custom foliar spray, plan is to do mostly foliar spray once a week with a soil drench once every 2 weeks.

1LB, 50/50 mix of Kelp Powder concentrate & Humic Acid 1-.23-6 (makes about 20 gals of foliar spray)

1 GAL, Fish Emulsion 5-1-1 (1-2 oz per gal, around 100 gals of foliar spray usage) Planning on switching to fish hydrolysate, when this runs out.

I was thinking of trying; GA3, IAA, BAP, and Fulvic acid, mixing in small amounts (amounts vary depending on instructions) to the foliar spray. Maybe a one time use, but have not read enough yet to use.

Soil drench will be about 1-2 oz of rock phosphate for per gal of water. Mixed with beneficial microbes (using MycoGrow Soluble) and compost tea.

You might want to reconsider about using gibberelic acid (GA3) as a regular foliar spray. This is usually used to enlarge fruits, especially grapes, and can also have a negative effect if used on wrong plants or in wrong quantities, and since we're dealing with parts per million it's very easy to goof up.
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

You might want to reconsider about using gibberelic acid (GA3) as a regular foliar spray. This is usually used to enlarge fruits, especially grapes, and can also have a negative effect if used on wrong plants or in wrong quantities, and since we're dealing with parts per million it's very easy to goof up.
Oscar

Yeah I was going to reconsider it, been reading more on it. If I was going to use it (would be a once a year thing in diluted amounts). I would need to get a new PPM meter and an accurate micro measurement spoon. Might be more hassle then its worth.

Another thing, is the wide variety of plants I have. Some may take to it well (like the grapes, while others may not). I have everything from Taro to Gooseberries growing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:36:27 PM by nullzero »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »

Oscar

Yeah I was going to reconsider it, been reading more on it. If I was going to use it (would be a once a year thing in diluted amounts). I would need to get a new PPM meter and an accurate micro measurement spoon. Might be more hassle then its worth.

Another thing, is the wide variety of plants I have. Some may take to it well (like the grapes, while others may not). I have everything from Taro to Gooseberries growing.

GA3 is definitely not to be used as an all purpose spray.
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »
May just try it for germination of hard to sprout seeds, foliar application sounds to complex and has to do a lot with timing of the flowering, vegetative growth, and a number of other things. Seems like foliar use is mainly with commercial grapes.

GA3 sounded very interesting (due to the claims out there about incredible growth rates etc.). But in practicality it may be better off not trying it at all besides germination.

Thanks for the input Oscar, do you use it for germination at all? (looks like you do from reading the other thread on GA3 germination)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:03:32 PM by nullzero »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
May just try it for germination of hard to sprout seeds, foliar application sounds to complex and has to do a lot with timing of the flowering, vegetative growth, and a number of other things. Seems like foliar use is mainly with commercial grapes.

GA3 sounded very interesting (due to the claims out there about incredible growth rates etc.). But in practicality it may be better off not trying it at all besides germination.

Thanks for the input Oscar, do you use it for germination at all? (looks like you do from reading the other thread on GA3 germination)

Ilama is the only super stubborn seed where i found it necessary to use gibberelic acid. Even with the ilama if you use too high a concentration of GA3, let's say 2000 PPM, instead of 900 PPm, you could actually reduce your chances of germination. Same with foliar spraying, if you don't know exactly why you are using it, and the correct concentration, you are much more likely to do harm than good.
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
I planted a 3g Lemon Zest last year and decided I did not want it to bloom but instead put out vegetative growth. Online research showed that GA3 could possibly stop the tree from pushing new growth. I mixed up some GA3 without measuring and sprayed the tree twice. I subsequently lost all the leaves and the tree died within a few months. I am not sure if the GA3 was the cause but it seems to be. I don't want to risk killing more mango trees for an experiment. So heed Oscar's advice and don't go spraying GA3 with reckless abandon...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
I planted a 3g Lemon Zest last year and decided I did not want it to bloom but instead put out vegetative growth. Online research showed that GA3 could possibly stop the tree from pushing new growth. I mixed up some GA3 without measuring and sprayed the tree twice. I subsequently lost all the leaves and the tree died within a few months. I am not sure if the GA3 was the cause but it seems to be. I don't want to risk killing more mango trees for an experiment. So heed Oscar's advice and don't go spraying GA3 with reckless abandon...

Good advice! I am staying away from it hehe :P. Will get the fish hydrastat though!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:07 PM »
I base my mixture off Bill Whitmans 50 years of research.  I know it sounds dangerous using chemical fertilizers, but elementally the plant uses the same base elements found in either source.  Also, I used a product called Organocide once and it killed half my vegetable garden.. I have had nothing but awesome results using my current mix, and my girlfriend still has a skin condition using her organic clay facewash... On the bright side, she thinks it helps so I guess thats what matters!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »
Oh wait, maybe she has a skin condition from all the chemicals in our yard!! YIKES!!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »
I base my mixture off Bill Whitmans 50 years of research.  I know it sounds dangerous using chemical fertilizers, but elementally the plant uses the same base elements found in either source.  Also, I used a product called Organocide once and it killed half my vegetable garden.. I have had nothing but awesome results using my current mix, and my girlfriend still has a skin condition using her organic clay facewash... On the bright side, she thinks it helps so I guess thats what matters!

Whitman wasn't big on organic, that's his deal...whatever...I agree totally...sometimes you just can't go organic...but when you can it makes sense....

Also, fertilizer like espoma (especially when growing in pots), has organic matter that builds soil, which is constantly eroding and washing out of pot...also....it has live biology that's just not found in the synthetic products you are using. 

This statement really holds true in terms of Turfpro (live biology), vs. Southern Ag and other synthetic micro nutritional sprays...

I understand poison ivy is organic...and it can kill you...so please don't preach to the choir...I'm just a big advocate of natural, organic, easy, and non synthetic ways of maintaining the plants and growing the fruits we consume.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Funny thing is some people dont do a thing to their trees and they grow and produce perfectly..

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
Adam, the TurfPro website talks about encouraging the growth of bacteria on the leaves, as a way of building the plant's resistance to pathogenic influences.  What are your thoughts or experience on that?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
Funny thing is some people dont do a thing to their trees and they grow and produce perfectly..

Yes,

I love it when things work out this way!!!

Seems like white sapote, jaboticaba, passion fruit, starfruit, pitanga, citrus, cherry of rio grande, barbados cherry, fig, pawpaw, sugar apple, canistel, and more....do really well, with no help at all, here in Central FL...

BUT certain times, there is no other way that I know of to help out fickle plants!!!  They need micronutrients! and I love organic, and living biological beneficial ingredients!  They help fill in the gaps, when you have a plant devoid of what it may need, so far away from home!

Certain plants....like garcinia sp., jaboticaba sp, eugenias, and many others just need the help!!! or they stay chlorotic, and don't grow as vigorously as those that are given micro nutrient...so why not do organic?..

I always reason...if my pets eat it, its fine, and I can shower in that stuff...I just will look like I swam through a septic tank....but I will live longer than if I shower in your products!

LOL ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
Adam, the TurfPro website talks about encouraging the growth of bacteria on the leaves, as a way of building the plant's resistance to pathogenic influences.  What are your thoughts or experience on that?

I have no idea!!  I will have to ask the main guy I know at turfpro, Jim Loepp...he knows the ins and the outs and the outs and the ins...

I will find out, cuz now you got me curious!!! bacteria on leaves?? what the heck is this stuff doing to my dogs I've been spraying???  LOL...not really, but I spray myself by accident all day long, getting on my arms and face !! and I dont even care!!

maybe that's why I had to get all of those "french moles" cut off surgically last year! ;)

just kidding...sorry...lol
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »

I buy the PhytoFos online from a distrubutor in Palm Beach... I cant locate the info.. I use the one that is all Potassium, no Phosphorus. 1Tbs Gallon

Patrick, sorry to belabor this, but I'm still confused about the PhytoFos.  In an older post, at an undisclosed location, you mentioned Exel LG Foliar Fertilizer , a phytofos that has bacteria.   Is this different from PhytoFos K, which I presume is just potassium ???   If these are two products, do you recommend one more than the other?
  If you weren't getting such nice results, I wouldn't ask  ::)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »
This is the distributor and product I use.. It's make up is 0-0-50.

http://www.thelandscaperstore.com/page/plantfoods/18876/

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
Thanks !

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »

Check this out PJB and others---
Check out the PhytoPhos label http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.agrovergel.com/pdfs/phytophos.pdf&ei=kRpET7KaFoW30AH9v4S_Bw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDgQ7gEwAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DPhytoPhos%2B%2Bpdf%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Dimvns
PhytoPhos seems to be Monopotassium phosphate and sold as MKP to hyrdroponics marijuana growers. You can get MKP real cheap on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Mono-potassium-phosphate-MKP-0-52-34-Soluble-KH2PO4-86-/170533080502#ht_1789wt_1163

Monopotassium phosphate (also potassium dihydrogen phosphate, KDP, or monobasic potassium phosphate, MKP) -- KH2PO4 -- is a soluble salt which is used as a fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes escape of ammonia by keeping the pH at a relatively low level.

Fertilizer grade MKP contains the equivalent of 52% P2O5 and 34% K2O, and is labeled 0-52-34. MKP is often used as a nutrient source in the greenhouse trade and in hydroponics.

It is one of the components of Gatorade (used as both an emulsifier and pH buffer) and is used as an additive in cigarettes[citation needed].

At 400 °C it decomposes, by loss of water, to potassium metaphosphate (KPO3)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »

I thought you used Phytophos K which is 0-0-18?

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

I thought you used Phytophos K which is 0-0-18?

I stand corrected... I do use the 0-0-18 mix... The granular Potash is 0-0-50 that I use for the soil apps..