Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283576 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #400 on: May 25, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
Yeah, that is way early for a VP.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
I actually have some full-sized VP's on my tree currently from the intial blooms and smaller ones from a second bloom set.
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 25, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »
I actually have some full-sized VP's on my tree currently from the intial blooms and smaller ones from a second bloom set.

Full sized does not mean they are ready to be harvested.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 26, 2015, 01:17:01 AM »

Full sized does not mean they are ready to be harvested.

I know. I'm just not sure if they will make it to the typical VP season. I never harvest mangoes just because they look mature. Once the vivid ripening colors have a filled in a bit, I'll harvest them and let them finish ripening up outside in the screen enclosure.
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 26, 2015, 01:29:01 AM »
I would just make sure they are really ready to harvest.   I think some people are jumping the gun with picking some mangoes this year.   Yes, the fruit may be ready a bit earlier than normal however I don't think it is as close as some feel.  I saw a 30 year old tree loaded with what looks to be close to mature fruit however some of the large mature looking drops are not ripening,  instead they are rotting from the stem end and/or wrinkling which is a sign of the fruit still being immature. 
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »
So far my PPKs have been delicious!! They have gotten better now around number 6.  Still got about a dozen to go.  Definitely has a sweet lemonish meringue taste to it, good flavor not watered down.  Best way I can describe it is that it just tastes refreshing.  No fiber and plenty juicy, not sloppy juicy, but just right. Can't wait to get my teeth on lemon zest since so many say it is better than the ppk.   All have ripened fully on the tree, picked and then let them sit an extra day.  Now that I have had a few, gonna let one go a bit darker and see what the flavor does when even riper.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
I'm seeing some very large Valencia Pride fruits on my tree for this early in the season.  I have none showing any significant color as of yet, but they are approaching full mature size.  I don't think I have seen this before at my house this early in the year.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 26, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
HMHausman if you do set up a stand, I would most definitely be interested  in getting some mangoes.  Looking to taste as many new varieties this summer as I can to make a final decision for last tree.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
HMHausman if you do set up a stand, I would most definitely be interested  in getting some mangoes.  Looking to taste as many new varieties this summer as I can to make a final decision for last tree.

Its up and running now. Selection is still somewhat limited.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 26, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
A member here was gracious enough to give me a few lemon meringue, Nam doc Mai and Carrie (which I have but the Carrie has not bloomed).

All were very good. I think as mango go I prefer the more mango-ey flavors and while the LM and NDM were excellent I couldn't (or wouldn't) eat more than one as they were they satisfying.

My son and I will still take our Glenn over the LM or NDM even though we get an odd Glenn sample with a more "watered down" flavor.
Regards,

Gary

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
I don't see any turpentine reviews, so here's mine. I collected a few today from my local source. Fruit were just beginning to turn yellow, but one had enough give to cut it open. They're small (about the size of a large apricot), and maybe about half a pound. The flesh to seed ratio was average, and one fruit had about 1/2 as much flesh as a Haden. The flesh was bright yellow and extremely fibrous. The texture was exactly the same as that of a pineapple, and eating this fruit reminded me a lot of eating a pineapple. The taste was pretty good. It was very fruity with some sour components, and actually tasted somewhat like a less tart pineapple. It had a small amount of resinous taste, but not too much. It reminded me of eating a perfectly ripened Tommy Atkins, but I liked this better than the TA, as it had less turpentine flavor (ironically). Overall I liked it, and I would prefer this fruit to something from the store. Now I'm going to plant the seed to grow some rootstocks to practice grafting with!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:46:58 PM by Zeeth »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 05, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
I don't see any turpentine reviews, so here's mine. I collected a few today from my local source. Fruit were just beginning to turn yellow, but one had enough give to cut it open. They're small (about the size of a large apricot), and maybe about half a pound. The flesh to seed ratio was average, and one fruit had about 1/2 as much flesh as a Haden. The flesh was bright yellow and extremely fibrous. The texture was exactly the same as that of a pineapple, and eating this fruit reminded me a lot of eating a pineapple. The taste was pretty good. It was very fruity with some sour components, and actually tasted somewhat like a less tart pineapple. It had a small amount of resinous taste, but not too much. It reminded me of eating a perfectly ripened Tommy Atkins, but I liked this better than the TA, as it had less turpentine flavor (ironically). Overall I liked it, and I would prefer this fruit to something from the store. Now I'm going to plant the seed to grow some rootstocks to practice grafting with!

LOL......thanks for the review.  It took some level of nerve to actually do this on this mango snob infested forum.  It should have been done long ago.  Good work.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 05, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »
 ;D

LOL......thanks for the review.  It took some level of nerve to actually do this on this mango snob infested forum.  It should have been done long ago.  Good work.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 05, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »

when they are real ripe roll it on a hard surface until squishy then pop a hole in it and suck out the pulp, that's my favorite way to eat a fibrous  mango

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 05, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
Why are we "reviewing " a Turpentine?
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »
because some people haven't had the luxury yet...but more likely, they need future rootstocks.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

I knew this mango tree that froze (1988 or so) down to the turpentine rootstock. The rootstock recovered and branched out into a real tree.  Putting out  these small yellow  mangoes. They were like yours but larger than apricots.  A bit turpy I suppose but I loved eating them. They had more taste than a bland Glenn.
BTW my Glenn tree put out zero watery bland fruit this year. They all had full flavor and were delicious
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:58:01 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
because some people haven't had the luxury yet...but more likely, they need future rootstocks.

I dont know of many people who consume the fruit that they harvest fior rootstocvk.  Just sayin'...   ::)
- Rob

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »

Why not? I needed some rootstocks and they taste pretty good as long as you can get past the high fiber. Based off what I've heard here you'd expect them to be awful.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 05, 2015, 04:37:19 PM »

Why not? I needed some rootstocks and they taste pretty good as long as you can get past the high fiber. Based off what I've heard here you'd expect them to be awful.

While you are completely entitle to your opinion, if you feel a turpentine tastes good, you really need to try other varieties.  As I have stated similarly, if my choices of mangoes were Tommy Atkins, Turpentine, Carrie and some select others, I would not be eating any mangoes at all.
- Rob

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 05, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »

While you are completely entitle to your opinion, if you feel a turpentine tastes good, you really need to try other varieties.  As I have stated similarly, if my choices of mangoes were Tommy Atkins, Turpentine, Carrie and some select others, I would not be eating any mangoes at all.

Well sorry for posting a mango review in the mango review thread lol

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 06, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »

Rob,
Why you don't like Carrie? Is carrie to much for you?
RichardN

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 06, 2015, 06:21:37 AM »
Why dont i like Carrie?   Its not due to its "strong" flavor.   I actually like stronger flavored mangoes.  It  just has a specific distinct flavor that i do not like.  Dont know any better way to say it.  From the people i have seen, its either a love - hate response with Carrie.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 06, 2015, 10:02:40 PM »
I knew this mango tree that froze (1988 or so) down to the turpentine rootstock. The rootstock recovered and branched out into a real tree.  Putting out  these small yellow  mangoes. They were like yours but larger than apricots.  A bit turpy I suppose but I loved eating them. They had more taste than a bland Glenn.
BTW my Glenn tree put out zero watery bland fruit this year. They all had full flavor and were delicious

I have a mango filled with stringy fiber with a very strong "turpy" flavor, I hated it the first couple of years it produced, but last and this year I'm loving it! My Glenn has overall been anything but bland, the few that were less flavorful were small drops.
Regards,

Gary

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 12, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
Fruit Punch

The first unripe Fruit Punch mango I saw had beautiful bands of green, gold and red. After 5 days of ripening my 1 lb. 3oz (544g) specimen, I cut it open to reveal standard orange fiberless flesh. The first bite was followed by an eye-popping, euphoric blast of acidity and intense sweetness. It was like eating powdered drink mix straight out of the packet -- sugar crystals + citric acid + artificial flavoring. It wasn't Kool Aid or red Hawaiian Punch... more like a cross between Pink Lemonade and Tang orange drink. After the initial jolt, there was a deep & delicate secondary flavor of yellow rose apple fruit. Third, intermittent waves of classical mango flavor: I could taste the Kent parentage plus a couple funky notes from a Haden. If you eat too close to the skin a bitter-sour buzzkill flavor brings you back to reality.

It was an absolutely delicious, exciting mango that I could not stop eating or thinking about afterwards. If I had to nitpick... I'd subtract half a point for the bitter edges and I would say that it lacks the completely unprecedented & "otherworldly" flavor of a true marvel. Many of the Fruit Punch tastes can be found in other mango cultivars - but not as intense & satisfyingly presented.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:42:46 PM by BrettBorders »