Author Topic: SCREC Cherimoya tasting  (Read 2200 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
SCREC Cherimoya tasting
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
Is this worth attending? I saw a thread from the 2018 one where people were complaining about aspects of it. I have been meaning to visit a friend in Irvine and was wondering if it is worth timing my visit around this event.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: SCREC Cherimoya tasting
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
If you can time it with something else especially. It’s hard to complain about trying new Cherimoya varieties, though it’s probably going to be a popular event with alot of eager Annona heads. Is cherimoya growing well for you in the City?

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »
Ha I haven't tried up here - I thought it was too cold? I am going to get a tree for my parents in Santa Barbara and try to grow it there. Thanks for the info!

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »
Too many people showed up last year. I got 2 bites.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
Two years ago when I went...  in general, the fruit did not taste that good.

https://youtu.be/OPhhFQfkLSU

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
This is a very worthwhile event, but I recommend showing up at least 45 minutes early to get in line to register for the free tasting and to buy a bag to take home.  Last year  you could buy a small or large bag and pick your own choice from the different varieties from crates to fill up the bag. Some of the better ones ran out fast.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
If you’ve never gone before, I would recommend you go. It’s a great event to be able to taste so many different varieties all at once. If you plan on growing, you can figure out what varieties suit your palate before purchasing a tree. I second the recommendation of going early.

Simon

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 03:02:25 AM »
I bet you can fruit it in the City. I have a bunch of varieties fruiting in a foggy Santa Cruz zone close to the ocean. Hit me up if your ever down this way and want to check ‘em out. I have some extra grafted “Dream” tree’s right now.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
In the past there was enough fruit to go around, but lately it's been pretty blown out.

That said, it's worth the trip if you want a chance at comparing fruit from the collection regardless of what's ripe at the time, as that window where you can fairly compare a large number of cultivars simultaneously is so fleeting.

Otherwise you can ask people who have gone in the past for their notes.

If you have an established flavor profile preference (you know what taste categories spark your interest) you may have an easier time selecting what you want by asking members of this forum.

Most of the time you go to the SCREC Cheri tasting, you will find that everyone is just talking about El Bumpo though.