Author Topic: Heat straticfication  (Read 649 times)

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
Heat straticfication
« on: March 11, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
I had a pot of Chiranthodendron pentadactylon seeds which I gave up on.  So I decided to sterilize the pot and the same medium without removing the said seeds.  I sterilized with boiling water for 5 minutes the medium. Then cooled and planted out some new seeds in the medium. The medium was originally fresh so didn't want to waste it.  Now you would think that boiling hot water would kill anything including any viable embryo in said seeds but heavens behold within 5 days the Chiranthodendron pentadactylon all started to germinate that were left in the pot.

It seems the boiling water did the trick and amazingly never killed the seeds.

I have now tried the same technique on some other hard to germinate species to see if this will break the dormancy along with sitting the seeds in smokey water to mimic a bush fire.

Lets see the out comes.

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Heat straticfication
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »
Mind you and this maybe disgusting but I have also found swallowing the seeds and allowing them to go through my digestive acids has also worked wonders on hard to germinate seeds.  But don't try this with poisonous seed species.

Obviously the removal of the seeds with gloves is needed but if it means getting rare and expensive seeds to germinate then I will try anything....LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk