Author Topic: Glenn, Graham, or Irwin Mango  (Read 24194 times)

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
Glenn, Graham, or Irwin Mango
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »
Hello,

I have a Cogshall, Lancetilla, and Pickering mango.  I would like to get 1 or 2 more varieties.  I am considering the Glenn, Graham, or Irwin mango.  I need help deciding based on flavor, compactness (would like room for 2),  and disease resistance.  If you have either of these varieties preferably more than one let me know what you think.  Unfortunately, I can't have all three.   :(

Thanks,

Rod B.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Glenn, Graham, or Irwin Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »
The Lancetilla tree I had was DEFINITELY not a slow or compact grower. It was so vigorous with so few fruits that it was cut down to make way for a Maha Chanok tree. I personally like the Graham but I am in the minority in my family. It does not dehydrate well (taste-wise). Glenns are good if they are not watered-down (some of mine tend to be) but they dehydrate well. The Irwins I've had are nothing special. Quite forgettable.  A couple of other choices for small-medium in tree size would be Fairchild, Julie and Carrie. Rosigold is probably a good bet too for taste and tree-size.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:42:53 PM by BluePalm »
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
Graham is not a compact grower, at least for me. It does have decent disease resistance.  It is a full-flavored mango, but has an aspect to the taste that I myself don't care for. I think I'm in the minority, though.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
Hello rbody2 , and welcome to the forum.

I was wondering why you have selected those three varieties?  are they varieties you have tasted and liked, or are they candidates because of a certain mango viewer?

There are many excellent mango varieties, many can be kept small, with proper pruning.   I second the Carrie and Rosigold,  The Pickering and Cogshall you have are good choices, as for the Lancetilla, "meh" so so mango,  with limited space, I would replace that one or top work it with something else.

Irwin, is another old commercial variety, very pretty, but mild, there are other better choices out there.

If you look around on the forum, you will see lots of chat on the different varieties.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:07:10 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
BluePalm,
Thanks for the advice.  Did the few Lancetilla even taste good (I thought that one would be a winner)?  I had considered the Maha Chanok, but they are hard to find.  Also, I read that the season length could vary from year to year.  I'm assuming that too much water causes the  watered-down taste?  I will look into the Fairchild.  I had thought about the Rosigold, but I wasn't sure if it would be too early blooming for my zone.  I thought I had narrowed this down, but the search continues.  Thanks again!

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
Mangomandan,

Thanks for the advice.  I guess I will pass on the Graham.  If a mango is really good I think everyone should like it unless you just don't like mangos.

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
Hi Tropicdude,

I haven't tasted any of the mangos.  I got all of my info from different variety viewers, which do not seem that accurate after talking to you guys.  I feel like I did all of this homework for nothing.   >:(. At least the Pick & Cog sound promising.

I heard the Carrie was not firm at all, so I marked it off the list.  What are your favorites?  What is a good smaller late season mango?

Does anyone have an Angie?

Jexton

• Cape Coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 11:25:17 PM »
Hi!

I can tell I have a carrie, which I love. My friend picked his mangos not just great taste but harvest time, so he eats from really early season to late. The really early is Rosiegold.

The Pickering is an amazing choice!

My big advise is try to get trees that are resident. My lemon zest is a lot harder to world with that any of the rest.

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
Hi Jexton,

Do you find the Carrie really soft?  What does your friend have for a mid and late season mango and how do you rate them?

What do you mean by "get trees that are resident"?

Thanks!

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
You are in Florida, the state with the largest selection of mango trees in the US.  I think you did well with Cogshall and Pickering.  I have heard bad things about Lancetilla (unproductivity and splitting of fruit). 

Among the people I know who have tasted a lot of mangos, none have raved about Irwin's flavor.  Irwin is popular because of its color.  My Glenn is much more productive than my Graham.  You might consider Carrie, although knowing when to pick Carrie is important because it can get off flavors when over-ripe.  The carries I have had were fairly soft, but awesome tasting.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
Thanks Mr. Clean (love the images)

Did more research since my original post.  Now I'm considering the Angie, Fairchild, Maha Chanok, and Rosigold.  I am concerned about the Rosigold blooming to early since I'm in Central FL.

Hopefully I can make it to my first Fairchild Mango Festival in July.  That way I can taste and hopefully buy a couple of trees.

Jexton

• Cape Coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
Hey,

I just realize the misspelling I met resistant :P. My carrie looks beautiful year round, but Lemon Zest looks like eeek. I pick my carrie as soon as the shoulders turn yellow I do a light pull if they come off great! If not I wait 2 days a try again. They normally come off then. Then just counter ripe unless they give a little. I absolutely  love them. They melt in your mouth and you see the juice covers the cutting board. They are not made for shipping. Some one once said that if they fall of the tree they would smash into the ground like a water ballon. I wouldn't take it that far.

I'm not sure on his order of what come after what, but he is on top of it. Of course they are good mangos but his timing is genius in my opinion. I wish I would have thought of that.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »
not sure if you're interested but there is a mango tasting event on june 28th at fruit and spice park...Then you could try a lot and get the trees of the ones you like best.  I also tend not to agree with the statement that good mangoes will be liked by all.  There seems to be lots of different tastes and textures in the mango world.  Definitely try it before you buy it....except Maha Chanok, which everyone says is good  8)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:04:58 PM »
Regarding Carrie and "Softness"  do not confuse softness with mushiness,   Carrie is a delight to eat,  I had one recently and the consistency as best as I can describe is like butter, I experimented, I put a piece in my mouth, I just pressed without chewing, and it melted in my mouth, no fiber.  not mushy,  mushy is something I cannot stand, fruits with jelly seed for example, I just toss in the trash.

On your new list,  that Maha Chanok is one of my favorites,  but have read in a report/research that is a bit less cold tolerant than other mangoes that were tested.  but I think any mango variety you plant will need protection anyway in C.Fla against cold fronts, so go ahead.

Fairchild is also a nice choice,   Angie I have heard good things about, I even have a tree, but is just a baby still in a 1 gallon.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »
Thanks Gunnar429 & Tropicdude

I hear such great things about the Maha Chanok as far as taste but I have never seen one and I have only seen it on one variety viewer.  Is it just so rare or does it have other problems that keep it from being more popular?  I do not see it or the Angie on the PIN website.  Where are you guys getting the Angie & Maha Chanok?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 10:54:03 PM »
A few responses:

To me, Carrie is not a mango I like at all.  Does that mean I wouldnt recommend it to people, no.  Depending on what people are looking for , it is the perfect mango.   It does have a soft texture that quickly gets bruised and mushy when it ripens too far.   For optimal eating,  you truly get a one or two day window.  As far as what happens to a ripe Carrie that falls from a tree...SPLAT!

As to Mahachanok,  not sure where you heard it is less cold tolerant...I do not think I would rate any varieties as being more or less cold tolerant.   

Jelly seed is not mushy but more of a gelatinous texture.  For those who wont eat a mango that has this probkem, ne very cautious with Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbert and PPK.  These are all prone to jelly seed.

Lancetilla, vigorous tree, very large fruit with below average taste.  'Nuff said.

There are many outstanding varieties unfortunately each person has different tastes.  I can make recommendations that some will agree with and some wont.

If you are not concerned about specific seasons, for smaller sized/compactness and taste, l would recommend Honey Kiss, Mahachanok,  Beverly,  Winters, Angie or Val Carrie.  If you dont mind a pruning regimen,  you could go with many other varieties.

- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »
Excalibur in Lake Worth has both Mahachanok and Angie.
- Rob

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »
I have 'Glenn' and it's one of my top, favorite mangos and I highly recommend this variety. I don't know about the 'Irwin,' or for that matter about the 'Graham.' But, after reading Mr. Clean's take on the 'Graham,' I would discard it from your choices and then you're left to choose between 'Glenn' or 'Irwin.' To me, the 'Glenn' is a classic. I would describe it as a medium sized mango. And, everything about the taste and texture of the flesh is just great, it's fiberless and consistently productive. The tree is smallish to medium sized.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 12:37:56 AM »
Please keep in mind, Mr. Clean's trees are 2-3 years old and not a good judge of quality or productivity.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
I tried glenn this past weekend, and thought it was great!  I haven't tried some of the better varieties, but it is a classic mango flavor with good texture and juicy....i know it tends to be washed out in wet years, but it is a quality mango.

As for carrie, two years now, and i still don't know what the hype is all about.  I had it half light yellow, half green, and found it to be average.  It has a different flavor than the classic mango flavor, and the texture doesn't strike me as amazing.  I guess I just need more practice with this mango.  The third time is either the charm, or strike 3.

There are definitely better than both of these though.  Just had a Southern Blush recently that was very good.  Still waiting to try cushman.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »
Graham is such a tasty mango... sweet, spicy, rich, complex... much more appealing flavor than most other mangoes. I have no idea about growing it, just love the taste.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 11:29:57 AM »

I too love my Glenn!! Its one that's always sweet and juicy and not too spicy or has the occasional "off" flavors like Carrie  ;)...I've realized that I do not like Mangoes that are very strong, very complex or too spicy...especially when they get those piney/herb/medical taste to it...I'll never forget someone's comment on a Carrie (I'm gonna guess) was way too ripe...she said "it taste like it was doused in kerosene" and the smell was very unpleasant  :(... I know that there are many people that love this mango...since space is an issue I wouldn't get Carrie...That's what is so great about growing, eating mangoes there are SO many varieties to choose from and our taste and likes are all so very different...there is NO wrong mango to grow (unless you don't like the taste)!

Last year I had almost 25" of rain from mid June thru mid July and some of my Glenns were a little watered down...but still they were quite good considering we had a monsoon month that year  ::)

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
Just wanted to throw this out there... the irwins I had this season were the best mangoes I have had this year.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
Just wanted to throw this out there... the irwins I had this season were the best mangoes I have had this year.

You have got to get out more  :) ;D
- Rob

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »
I should have talked to you guys before checking out these variety viewers.  Happy about the response to the Cog & Pic, but I could be putting a Lancetilla up for adoption.  Thanks to all!   

(The 1st two I get my hands on are coming home)
1.  Angie
2.  Maha Chanok
3.  Fairchild

Is Copper the best fungicidal spray?