Author Topic: First Keitt  (Read 5191 times)

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
First Keitt
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:01:48 AM »
I recently purchased some Keitt mangoes from The Fresh Market.  I had never tried them and was not expecting much.  I have eaten 2 out 3.  The first 2 have been extremely delicious!  I haven't had many varieties and I'm not saying its the best mango that I have tasted.   I can say that I will not be passing up any Keitts.   ;D

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: First Keitt
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »

One of my favorites!! I love Keitts especially since its one of the latest variety I own...

Taken the end of June...should be ready to pick in a few weeks and hopefully will last through the end of September  :D

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »
Congrats Nancy, great production for such a small tree :)

How long in the ground and what's the height on that tree?

Again Congrats !

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:06:41 PM »
Thanks MM12! You wouldn't believe it but that tree is 7 years old  :o...its very small about 6ft tall if the branches weren't being weighted down by the mangoes. The reason its so small is because of the several years of severe "freeze damage" that it had been subjected to...also that tree doesn't get full sun except about 3 hours a day, not the best ideal location for the tree...but I'm not complaining its producing quite well for me this year  ;D

I also lightly pug it once a year to keep the lanky sprawling Keitt growth habit it has in check.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:08:43 PM »
Nancy - savor those Keitts over that nice long stretch of time.
I've got about 13, and am not sure when the first will ripen.
By far - the longest hanging mango on all my trees - great
for a spread out harvest period....

YEAH!

gary

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »
Thanks for the pic Nancy!  I wish I had room for one.  When the time comes that you have way more than you can eat..just let me know.  I will be more than happy to take some off your hands.   ;D

Rod

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:44:49 AM »

Gary, I'm waiting (not very patiently) for one to ripen...looking forward to the staggering ripening too.

Any of yours look close like this one? I think this one has a few more weeks to go, its still rock hard!

Rbody, if the winters are good to me I'm hoping this tree will produce a lot more...  ;)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
Hey Pug! love the protection you put on your mangoes, and just what I need. Where did you get those? almost look like containers you would find when buying something at a deli!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »
Hey Pug! love the protection you put on your mangoes, and just what I need. Where did you get those? almost look like containers you would find when buying something at a deli!

What she is using>>>> Save all plastic clam shells that strawberries come in. Any other fruits too such as grapes from Aldis and other places. Publix has unusual type grapes in them too for the next few months such as Muscadines and Concords fr Michigan usually

Smaller clam shells that blueberries and tiny tomatoes come in..... also useful
Aldis also has young lettuce packing four of them into large size clamshells
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:05:45 PM by zands »

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 03:33:54 PM »
Monster size clamshells can be had at Sam's Club, the lettuce mix. You can get 2 normal size mangoes or a good sized Springfel, Hatcher, or Kiett and still get the clamshell closed using duct tape to secure it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Monster size clamshells can be had at Sam's Club, the lettuce mix. You can get 2 normal size mangoes or a good sized Springfel, Hatcher, or Kiett and still get the clamshell closed using duct tape to secure it.

Ideally one should only shop in stores that sell fruits in decent size-usable clam shells. They should never be thrown out. They should be stockpiled in the garage next to your snowshoes and (old style) incandescent lightbulbs

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:38:28 PM »
Does anyone else have any fruiting/mature Keitt pics? 

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 07:54:57 AM »
Does anyone else have any fruiting/mature Keitt pics?

I'll try take photos today. Backyard Keitts tend to be large. The largest mango most grow. Its the last mango tree to give fruit which can extend into September and some years October when 2014 I had a few last stragglers hanging. The last Keitts should be protected fr animals with plastic clam shells.

I have seen alternate year bearing on the two Keitts I know. One year you get a lot of fruits. Next year can be 10-20% of the previous. Others can post what they see as far as alternate years. I had 25 last year and 6 this year.

Some of the Keitt fruits on a mature tree will be normal mango size. But most are larger. 4x and more larger by weight.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:12:07 AM »
Front yard Keitts are as big as backyard Keitts.    ;)  ;D

This clam shell thing is getting blown out of proportion.   Its all relevant to tree size and number of fruit...if your 30 foit tree has 200+ fruit, you realky going to try snd clam shell even one of them?  While using them may h ave bbeneficial protection from birds and squirrels,  it also can hsve non beneficial results, IMO.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »
Front yard Keitts are as big as backyard Keitts.    ;)  ;D

This clam shell thing is getting blown out of proportion.   Its all relevant to tree size and number of fruit...if your 30 foit tree has 200+ fruit, you realky going to try snd clam shell even one of them?  While using them may h ave bbeneficial protection from birds and squirrels,  it also can hsve non beneficial results, IMO.

I told you, you should stockpile them but ignored me. So now you are jealous of those that did

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 01:42:56 PM »
The clam shells work very well except against raccoons.  I have stock piled hundreds of them. Please don't ask how many I have actually applied to to my trees.  Let's just say the box they are stored in located in my garage is not being attacked at all.  This is probably not due to the clam shells  though. I do have them just in case though.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »

For me at least...since my trees are not producing large quantities (yet)...they may or never produce hundreds like the larger more mature trees in South FL...I protect mine because most of my trees don't produce that many yet...so I don't mind protecting the ones I have. If my trees ever get to the point that I have more than I can handle/eat/give away...I won't be using the Clam shells any longer...till then I don't mind the extra work. Like Rob said, there are some draw backs to it...like some "sun damage" from the plastic or maybe heats up more than normal...so make sure the ones you use have "holes" in them or they will cook.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:28:09 PM by puglvr1 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
The clam shells work very well except against raccoons.  I have stock piled hundreds of them. Please don't ask how many I have actually applied to to my trees.  Let's just say the box they are stored in located in my garage is not being attacked at all.  This is probably not due to the clam shells  though. I do have them just in case though.

One unexpected day you will need them. This will be one week after the day you toss them