Author Topic: a 9/10 Mangifera laurina  (Read 2186 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
a 9/10 Mangifera laurina
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »
Yesterday I ate my third Mangifera laurina, but this time I pulled the peel off instead of cutting it off.  Unlike the first 2 I ate, there was no irritation in the throat from the fruit.  It was essentially like a delicious, extra juicy, less calorie-dense mango.  The fruit is sold cheaply in the farmer's market here. (8 cents US per fruit) Local people make a sour face when I mention this species and say it is too acidic, but when I tell them that the ones I bought were sweet, they say, "Yes, there are sweet ones too."  When I ask them what their normal size is they show me a small fruit, but when I say that the ones I bought were mango-sized they say, "Yes, there are big ones too."  All three seeds were full of seed weevils though, so no plants for me yet.  I definitely find the fruit much better than carambola or guava, yet it is a seriously ignored species. 

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: a 9/10 Mangifera laurina
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
You always find cool stuff!

The wevils remind me of my stinky bean experience.  I got a single stinky bean for seeds (in Indonesia) and when I was cleaning / inspecting it before going home I noticed that only 4 (out of the many seeds) were not damaged by larva.  I found it ironic because I believe the organo sulfur compounds in the seeds were made by the plant to DETER seed eaters.  Even with natural pesticides / repellants some insects seem to adapt around them and then bedevil that plant.

Thanks for posting more interesting fruit finds.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
Today I got a seed that might work.  Will know in about 2 weeks (I assume.) 

My wife's mom prepares petai (stink bean) really well.  She is Maduranese.  I don't like the way Sabahans prepare petai. 

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »
I'm on the fence about stinky bean, sometimes I think I like it, sometimes I think I hate it....

I've had it in dishes, I've put it in dishes... but I've never used it or had it made from a source that got it fresh... so I have no idea what it is "really like" (I've just been exposed to frozen or pickled ones).

But I wanted to grow it because it is an interesting legumous tree (even if I'm not up for the seeds).

I was shocked to see so many of the seeds attacked, but then when a plant employs heavy chemical defenses it seems frequent that some bug evolves to go around them and ends up seriously bothering that plant.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 05:20:02 AM »
I'll start a new thread about stink bean so we don't upset anyone who wants to read about Mangifera here.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:42:52 AM »
i love Parkia
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time