Author Topic: Rapoza mango, a champion or a dud in South Florida?  (Read 14310 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Rapoza mango, a champion or a dud in South Florida?
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »

I have a 3 gallon Rapoza mango tree ready to be planted. I've read that it is one of the most sought after varieties in Hawaii. How good does it do in South Florida in terms of production and taste? 

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Rapoza mango, a champion or a dud in South Florida?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »
I planted one from a 3 gal a year and a half ago.  It has tripled in size, it is over 8ft tall.  It flowered early and set lots of fruit and currently has new flowers.   During the first flowering, we had a lot of rain so it handles the wet well.  There are 3 large mangos on the tree now, over a pound.  I was able to try the fruit at F&S Park last year and I thought it was great but did not make it into my top 5.

I took this picture 4/30

Brandon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:01:31 PM »
I planted one from a 3 gal a year and a half ago.  It has tripled in size, it is over 8ft tall.  It flowered early and set lots of fruit and currently has new flowers.   During the first flowering, we had a lot of rain so it handles the wet well.  There are 3 large mangos on the tree now, over a pound.  I was able to try the fruit at F&S Park last year and I thought it was great but did not make it into my top 5.

I took this picture 4/30

Thanks Brandon. I am glad you liked the taste. There are so many good mangoes here that it is hard to choose the best. Did Rapoza make it into your top 10? ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
supposedly very resistant to disease...and a great mango...

the disease/humidity tolerance alone makes it a winner in eyes.

maybe a good choice for the FL growers who want to go organic, and spray less?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »

I have a 3 gallon Rapoza mango tree ready to be planted. I've read that it is one of the most sought after varieties in Hawaii. How good does it do in South Florida in terms of production and taste?

If what I hear is correct, the Florida red is the Hawaiian rapoza. That said, when Robert is here unloaded a bunch of Florida reds last late June, my wife thought they were some of the best mangos she's ever tasted. I'd agree that they were a top 5 for me that year. My rapoza is about to fruit this year for the first time. bloomed twice and is a vigorous grower. No disease problems yet.

Wish I could tell you more.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »

If what I hear is correct, the Florida red is the Hawaiian rapoza. That said, when Robert is here unloaded a bunch of Florida reds last late June, my wife thought they were some of the best mangos she's ever tasted. I'd agree that they were a top 5 for me that year. My rapoza is about to fruit this year for the first time. bloomed twice and is a vigorous grower. No disease problems yet.

Wish I could tell you more.

If you compare ratings for Florida Red versus ratings for Rapoza, you will see that Florida Red will get much higher ratings in Florida, even on this forum. Never mind that they are both the same mango. ::) What does this tell you about influence of preconceived ideas in ratings?  ;)
Rapoza does very well here in super rainy east Hawaii. It has great feature of continued flowering until it finally hits a bit of a dry spell, then you get a very good flower set. It has a lot of good qualities going for it: good coloration, good production, good sized, disease resistance, and ofcourse great taste. I'm sure it could be improved upon....but then again what fruit can't? It is a seedling and improved version of Irwin, so if you don't like Irwin you may not like it? I don't know i haven't tried Irwin yet.
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »
I really enjoyed Irwin last year at the mango festival.  Sounds like rapoza is a must for me.  I heard Irwin all ripen at the same time so rapoza is probably better.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
I have had both Irwin and Florida grown Rapoza.  To me, they are different so liking the taste of one is not a given to liking the taste of the other.
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
I have had both Irwin and Florida grown Rapoza.  To me, they are different so liking the taste of one is not a given to liking the taste of the other.

Rob, which one do you like more? Irwin or Rapoza? Does Rapoza have a stronger and distinctive taste?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
I heard Irwin all ripen at the same time so rapoza is probably better.

I wouldn't say Irwin ripens all at once. It has a fairly normal season.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
do you prefer Irwin or rapoza?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
If and when I can get grafted trees, rapoza is high on my list for Bermuda.  All the traits discussed make it ideal for here especially the persistent flowering until fruoit set (we get wet windy winters that trash most mangoes sown from junk seed here) and ultra high humidity.  One further trait is it is ultra fiberless - even the seed lacks fibre on the surface.  interestingly, I drove out to Robert is here based on a tip from the owner of Pine Island who overheard me raving about it at Fairchild's mango festival.  Piles and piles of "Florida Red" were to be found and a huge as the fruit were, every one I got had an aborted seed in it.

Which may be a plus in terms of its abilty to set fruit - but deprived me of the opportunity to grow a rapoza seedling in bermuda...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »

And your opinion of both? Be interested to find out since i haven't tried Irwin.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »

And your opinion of both? Be interested to find out since i haven't tried Irwin.

I've only had one Irwin and it wasn't noteworthy in my recollection.  Not horrible but not in the same league as PPK.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »

Nothing bad about either however not my favorite.   Irwin had more of an almost generic mango taste like that of a really good Haden (not saying it tasted like a Haden but of just a classic mango flavor).  The Rapoza I have had have had a more distinctive flavor like that of a more intense Irwin with a citrusy component.

Again, both were good but not what I would call my favorite.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »
Here are the first two from my tree.  I still have a good sized one that is a few weeks out and 3 or 4 fresh panicles that have blueberry sized mangos on them.

Here is the weigh in

Brandon

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 05:28:07 AM »
Nothing like a fresh rapoza off the tree... its a really great mango, but in my opinion a rapoza and a very delicious haden or hayden mango is a very hard choice to make in taste comparison.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
Nothing like a fresh rapoza off the tree... its a really great mango, but in my opinion a rapoza and a very delicious haden or hayden mango is a very hard choice to make in taste comparison.

I disagree. Rapoza is much better than Haden. Eat them side by side and see for yourself. Also Haden has fiber and Rapoza does not.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »

I disagree. Rapoza is much better than Haden. Eat them side by side and see for yourself. Also Haden has fiber and Rapoza does not.

Rapoza = ultra fibreless!  even the seed has no clinging fibres.

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 04:54:02 AM »
I said taste! Not texture!!! Hahaha  ;) but yes Oscar I do agree that Rapoza is awesome.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 05:03:21 AM »
I said taste! Not texture!!! Hahaha  ;) but yes Oscar I do agree that Rapoza is awesome.

Texture can and does affect taste. But even if the texture was the same the flavor of Rapoza would be better. Have you ever eaten a pile of both side by side?
Oscar

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 05:21:53 AM »
A matter a fact I have... Maybe it's just because I grew up with Haden mango, the taste is stuck with me so when I eat a Rapoza it's almost the same other then the less fiber, but the taste of the Rapoza is smoother, more creamier and the fruit is a lot larger then Haden. Just in my opinion.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 01:26:04 PM »
Rapoza is a very good mango but out of all the big Red mangos I like Hatcher the best. Haden is one of my favorite Mangos of all time despite of the fiber.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 10:42:58 PM »
Just bumping this thread to what effect 2 more years has had on the South FL perception of Rapoza mango

Mabye someone can also chime in as to if Rapoza fruit can get big like ST Maui's. Thanks :)
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »
I'd like to know too - anyone?