Author Topic: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)  (Read 45092 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
For the fifth successive year, I am visiting southiFlorida to sample the best fruits on offer.  Past reviews can be seen

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11316.0
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6365.0
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2104.msg28912#msg28912

(The first year was done on that 'other' tropical fruit forum.

I am starting early this year as I had the opportunity to pass through FL yesterday for the day.  I will also be in the area in June, the main trip in July and again briefly in August.

Yesterday I went to Squam's place for the first time.  Impressive space!  I picked up some early mangoes, mainly Edward with a few others (Wester, Rosigold) in there.  I also sampled his (Thomas?) sapodilla which was huge (up to 3lb), good tasting - and seedless.

As the Edwards ripen I will comment on them here.

I also had the pleasure to get some early mangoes at Truly Tropical -Tess Polluck, Dwarf Hawaiian plus some caimito and black sapote.   Chris is always a great host and I encourage anyone in the area to patronize her.  She gets visitors from as far away as Atlanta, Arizona, Bermuda several times a year seeking to get their tropical fruit fix.

Tess Polluck is super juicy and quite good for so early in the season.  Yes, its  parentage can be sensed in the turpentine taste is some portions of it but in April....no complaints from me.

I left all the mangoes in my car overnight and was  greeted by sweet aroma as I headed to the airport at 4am.

Same pleasant surprise 3 hours into my flight (to San Francisco) when I opened the overhead bin...sweet aroma.

As much as I coddled my sole black sapote while in transit, it arrived as mush in a plastic bag.  Never fear, I sat down to eat it and it was perfect....and seedless.  Follow up with a caimito and Tess Polluck and I am all good for meal #1.

Out and about in Palo Alto, I picked up some white sapote (from Santa Barbara), feijoa (from New Zealand) and those mini avocados. Should be able to find some custard apples later. I did also see some Haden's for sale which may get my attention later in the week.

This is just a warm up set of posts with the main event to come in July. 

Can we top the 41 varieties enjoyed in 2014? 

Well this is a good start...

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »
Abayomi, you started early this year. When you return from your voyages make sure to post some pix and reviews :)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:29:23 PM »
I see how it is... Drive through South Florida and don't even hit anyone up? Lol

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:44:01 AM »
No doubt Frank - I will upload some pictures today.

Murahilin - all I needed to hear was you had a LZ ready to pick and I would have been there!  Seriously though, let's connect the 2nd weekend in June if possible.  Passing through without seeing you, Sleepdoc, Harry...that would be rude.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »
I searched but don't see details on dwarf Hawaiian, specifically: is it mono or polyembryonic?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
Breakfast: Tess Polluck, Dwarf Hawaiiian, Edward, Caimito

Tess Polluck had some small black spots but on the inside remained pristine.  Super juicy, flowing as soon as the skin is cut. I am already getting used to the turpentine twang, not offensive to me at all.  A good way to start breakfast.

Dwarf Hawaiian was much better.   I only had a timely one and it had that tang like sizzle to it, sort of like carbonated water - but sweet and aromatic.  The flesh looks stringy but was fine to me.  This is a good mango.

Edward was late entry and again a small one.  The flesh was noticeably denser than the other two.  It also had some twangy-ness to it but in its own way.  Perhaps to early in the season to judge.

The last of the caimito is done and dusted.  I had never head these before and it is a decent little fruit.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:11:51 PM »
Glad you were able to grab some fruit on your pass through S.Fla.  Nothing ready yet at my place but it does look like it's going to be an early season overall.  See ya in a couple of months !

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
Man, less than a day and the Bay and you already got it dialed in better than the locals with White Sapote, Haden's and Sugar Apple! Your a one person fruit strike team. I have never seen any of those fruits for sale here.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »
Man, less than a day and the Bay and you already got it dialed in better than the locals with White Sapote, Haden's and Sugar Apple! Your a one person fruit strike team. I have never seen any of those fruits for sale here.

😀

I do my research - scouring over photos on yelp is useful - but sometimes I get lucky. The white sapote I found are regularly featured at a Safeway: 525 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025, United States

I found it when I went to get a new watch battery! The Safeway has a decent tropical fruit section - white sapote, real mangoes, guavas, feijoas and more.  They must have people who buy these regularly.

By the way - no sugar Apple but I have found custards and cherimoyas.

Oh and did a I mention jackfruit chips as a bonus?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
Breakfast: Tess Polluck, Dwarf Hawaiiian, Edward, Caimito

Tess Polluck had some small black spots but on the inside remained pristine.  Super juicy, flowing as soon as the skin is cut. I am already getting used to the turpentine twang, not offensive to me at all.  A good way to start breakfast.

Dwarf Hawaiian was much better.   I only had a timely one and it had that tang like sizzle to it, sort of like carbonated water - but sweet and aromatic.  The flesh looks stringy but was fine to me.  This is a good mango.

Edward was late entry and again a small one.  The flesh was noticeably denser than the other two.  It also had some twangy-ness to it but in its own way.  Perhaps to early in the season to judge.

The last of the caimito is done and dusted.  I had never head these before and it is a decent little fruit.

Agreed.  One of my favorites, especially so early in the year!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 12:10:01 PM »
Breakfast consisted of dwarf Hawaiian and white sapote.  The white sapote had a hint of bitterness but nothing offensive.  Dwarf Hawaiian continues to please.  What they lack in size, they make up for in earlyness and zippy sweetness. Texture is not smooth like many gourmet mangoes  - these tend to appear like a fibrous mango would - but still quite good.

I also picked up some kiwiberries - the tropical cousins to kiwis.  Anybody growing these?  Quite tasty, can be eaten whole.  I have been looking for these seeds for a while...

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »
You asked for pictures...

http://flic.kr/p/s3ckEs

http://flic.kr/p/rnMfvG

wow, you must have quite an entourage you can't possibly eat all those fruit :)
you are by The City by the Bay here is what's in season in Socal

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »
I've had a busy week on the road so did not have time to post daily updates.  The trip is complete now and savouring the gems of Foorida will continue in June.

The Haden mangoes we 'ok' in California, nothing to write home about.  Tess Polluck proved a winner, especially left a little to fully ripen.  I found no issue with them with black spots on the skin.  Dwarf Hawaiian was certainly the best of the early mangoes.  Even slightly over ripe it tasted fine.  The white sapotes of unknown type rocked as did the kiwiberries of New Zealand. Edward was a good mid range performer but I had a lot of variability between fruit.  Some were drops - which a I was forewarned would not taste as good - while others were prime. Caimito definitely pleased.

All in all a decent warm up run to the summer.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »
Sounds like you has some fun!

I think the kiwiberry you refer to is called hardy kiwi here, but I was under the impression they were for colder climates, not tropical ones.  Hmmmm.

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 11:43:40 PM »
Sounds like you has some fun!

I think the kiwiberry you refer to is called hardy kiwi here, but I was under the impression they were for colder climates, not tropical ones.  Hmmmm.

You are correct.

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Hardy_Kiwi:_Actinidia_arguta/

Perhaps I was thinking of stem other aspect of the more common kiwi that made them a challenge to grow and got it twisted...

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
I enjoy eating them though, and wish I could grow them here.
~Jeff

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
And so it continues.  Yesterday I arrived in Miami and immediately connected with Sleepdoc.  He has an amazing place - jackfruit, chempedak, cheetah, mangoes, breadfruit, lychees, soursop and more.  The mangoes we're going ballistic - Coconut Cream, Angie, Carrie, Fairchild, Lemon Zest, PPK, Ice Cream, Khun See to name a few.  A start to a trip doesn't get better than this.

Next I visited Bendersgrove.  Picked up a few Nam Docs, Ivory, PPKs and his "Love One" selection.

Up the street, met up with the standard bearer or yard excellence, the curve we grade on around here, Harry Hausman.  We munched on a good set of fruits - Cushman, Carrie, PPK, Springfels, Keow Savoey, Thai Everbearing, Edward, Bombay - from memory (there were more).

Edward and PPK carried the day at Harry's.  Bombay was also pretty good. We also drove the yard and noted his vast array of selections, with fresh fruit dropping, perhaps after the heavy rains that greeted me as I arrived.  Picked up some Sia Tong, Ping Seng Mun among others. 

Next up, Zills.  Rob worked his magic and I secured an all star box of mangoes.  Taralay, Seacrest, Dupuis Saigon, Guava, Okrung, Pickering, Edgar, Edward, Fruit Punch , Val Carrie and Coconut Cream.  Try and find a loser in there, if you dare. Sweetheart lychee topped it off.  The boxes full of Pickering was something to see.

Last, but by no means least Chris at Truly Tropical was, as always, a great host.  Her mangoes are popping left right and centre with boxes and boxes of PPKs, Haden's, Choc Anon, Glen, Bailey's Marvel, Pram Kai Mea, Jakarta, Zill, Cushman, Dot, Fairchild and Nam Doc Mai's.

For those wanting pictures...I took some...I might post them...I might not.  Doing so would be a sort of confession...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 12:45:57 PM »
Breakfast: Glenn,  PPK

Glenn is a mango I have either not had or not had much in the past few years.  The coloration of the skin was amazing with almost a leopard pattern of dots.  The skin was also very thin yet did not fall to pieces as I pealed the fully ripe fruit.  Juice was abundant and the aroma, very good.  Succulent flesh that said: quality.  Very smooth.  The seed was also fairly short and compact making room for lots to eat off this fruit.  This was a good way to start the first meal of the day.

PPK: this fruit was slightly over ripe but still was very good.  Thin skin also and an very good array of complex flavours.  Before lemon zest came along in my life, this fruit was number one.  It packs a punch in a small package with complex over and under tones plus sweetness. 

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
Living vicariously through your tropical fruit feasts . Thanks for posting as always , Future!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 07:17:27 PM »
Lunch: PPK, Carrie, Edward

I had a large mango (tagged as Ed) for lunch from Zills, I believe to be Edward. It had a spoiled spot a portion inside but nothing that spoiled the experience.  The flesh to seed ratio was excellent as was the texture, aroma and taste.  Very good mango in its own right.  It has that melt in your mouth effect.

Carrie also was melt in your mouth good.  More pineapplish taste, a notch lower on sweetness but still  very good.  No complaints about this mango from me.

My PPKs seem to be riper than most else so they are featuring early and often.  This one was again, silk smooth with unique floral notes that aim to please.  What it lacks in size is more than made up for in what it packs in punch.  PPK is still ruling so far in the game.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
That was an Edgar,  not Edward.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »
That was an Edgar,  not Edward.

Even more impressive then.  I did not know they got so big. Hadn't seen one with reddish colouration either. Good deal.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 08:48:56 PM »
Dinner: Cogshall, Ice Cream, Carrie

Cogshall was first up to bat for dinner.  I am not a huge fan of superficial beauty when it comes to mangoes but it never hurts to have good looks, unless what is on the inside doesn't match or exceed it.  In this case' Cogshall is no bimbo.  The mottled pink and yellow outside envelopes dessert on the inside.  There was a slight bit of fiber but nothing to talk of really.  The aroma was pleasant.  The flesh bear the skin was quite good but the balance had a slightly washed out effect.  I could taste the potential but the punch didn't deliver the knock out.  Good mango though.

My one and only Ice Cream, courtesy of Sleepdoc, was on the table.  This is a mango that at one point vied for the #2 spot on my list - before the Zill family came into my life.  It still makes the top 10 however.  Scrumptious is the word that comes to mind when I eat an Ice Cream mango.  The trees may have production issues because I only find them once every few years.  This one was responsible for a single fiber in my teeth...the first and perhaps last of the trip.   Overall' I think it was slightly too early so agin, the potential showed but the wow probably needed another day to deliver.

Carrie came through with more melt in your mouth orange flesh.  Great flesh to seed ratio and just easy to eat.  On its own, it could 'Carrie' the day.

Tomorrow might see some action for Jakarta, PPK and Fairchild...perhaps a Sia Tong...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »
Breakfast: Taralay, Pim Seng Mun

My morning inspection found Taralay ready to go.  This mango was amazingly clean and blemish free.  In fact quite a few from Rob are that way.  The skin on Taralay was paper thin, seed was small and in between was divine.  The melting effect was in play with a combo fruity and floral tone to it.  Hard to fault this mango.

PSM had a few black spots but otherwise was in great shape.  Again, hyper thin skin but she is not offended by compliments. My first bite made me sit up straighter as I had forgotten about the subtle bite of this mango.  It stops short of spicy with quite an interesting flavour.  Great flesh to seed ratio and very firm flesh.  Perhaps could have waited another day but still a great start to the day.