Author Topic: Where can I buy cherimoyas in NorCal?  (Read 1964 times)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Where can I buy cherimoyas in NorCal?
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »
I am from Florida but working in the Sacramento area for a while. Does anyone on the forum know where I can pick up some cherimoyas? Anyone on the forum sell/ship fruit? Please let me know... I realize the end of the season is approaching.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I buy cherimoyas in NorCal?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
They aren't in season now so its probably hard to find.
Brad Spaugh

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »
I have a late season cherimoya tree in front of my house that was planted from seed.   Most of my other fruits have been harvested. But this tree, it's still not ready to eat yet. I think it would be ready to pick in a month or two. Sorry, fruits not for sale this year.  This year fruit is only enough for my mom to eat.  I think next year will be lots of fruits from 15+ maturing seedlings tree.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:30:06 PM »
Kim, do you think your late season fruit is actually a hybrid or a full Cherimoya? If it’s a good tasting Cherimoya, it would be a great variety to spread around to extend the season for those that don’t want to leaf strip to get a second crop.

Merce3, I’ve seen fresh Cherimoya fruit for sale at 99 Ranch market on Claremont Mesa Blvd in San Diego so other Asian markets may have them as well.

Try looking up local Asian supermarkets around your area and then giving them a call so you don’t have to waste gas driving around.

Simon

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:16:58 PM »
I used to get them at the large flea market in east San Jose. There was a Mexican farmers market inside there that sold them along with sapote, mamey, guava and some others. Not sure what fruit they would have at this point in the season

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »
When in season you can get them at the Berkeley farmers market from Brokaw.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
An hour north of sacramento there is a flea market on sundays in Marysville, Ca.
They have some cherimoyas, Guava, passion fruit, dragonfruit, Longan and some other stuff but the cherimoyas are all hard and taste like bad cheese. They're all imported right now.
Good market to check out though, the dragonfruits are tasty :)
I'll probably be going a bit later in the morning once the wife wakes up, so won't be able to give you a report in time tomorrow.
-Kris

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 11:08:43 PM »
Thanks for all of the input and sorry for the late response. I was able to find some at an asian market. They were pricey and look like they are imported, but I am alright with that. What else should I look out for? I have been enjoying the citrus out here and picked up some rambutans as well, but I want to take full advantage of whatever is available between now and the end of May.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 03:34:50 PM »
Not sure it's worth a trip all by itself, but if you are heading into San Francisco for another reason the Alemany farmers market Saturdays does have good/rare local fruit.  Trying to think what's available in the next month - citrus, kiwi, cherries, maybe stone fruit and guava, possibly figs.
- Val

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
I'd check out the flea market in marysville. Less than an hour (Depending on what part of sacramento you are in) and they have quite a bit these last few weeks. I picked up a mamey sapote recently too.
And are you the Merce3 from bananas.org? I just sent you a message there the other day asking about some bananas :P

EDIT: They also have alot of citrus, It's so common that I forget people enjoy citrus sometimes :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:22:40 PM by zephian »
-Kris

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
I found an international market in Rancho Cordova, I think it is called KP's.

I would start there.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
Korean plaza. They usually get manilla mangos and guavas but not a big selection of fruits. Cool store to go to regardless of what they have. I make sure to stock up on soju ;)
-Kris

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »
Thanks again. I didn't make it this weekend, but I will check it out sometime this week.

I'd check out the flea market in marysville. Less than an hour (Depending on what part of sacramento you are in) and they have quite a bit these last few weeks. I picked up a mamey sapote recently too.
And are you the Merce3 from bananas.org? I just sent you a message there the other day asking about some bananas :P

EDIT: They also have alot of citrus, It's so common that I forget people enjoy citrus sometimes :P

Yes, that's me. I came home but had some family issues to tend to so I wasn't able to dig up any plants. I should be coming home in June, so please standby a little longer.