Author Topic: can persimons taste good  (Read 10764 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: can persimons taste good
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
You all are talking about "Kaki", or ORIENTAL PERSIMMON.  Please don't leave off the "Oriental," as the actual true Persimmon is Diospyros virginiana, native to the eastern USA.

The persimmon-improvement group, which included my father, have been working on breeding and selecting true persimmons over the last several decades.
Some are close to the size of a 'Triumph' and rival or beat any oriental persimmon in over-all flavor, and definitely beat them in sweetness.

I have the 'Homestead' persimmon, selected in Florida City, at the bottom of the Florida Peninsula.  'Homestead' is not one of the superior selections for quality, but is adapted to our climate.  I have not tried to grow any of the selections done by the persimmon-improvement group associated with the Indiana Fruit and Nut Growers Association.  My Mother's yard has a collection of those on Sand Mountain in northeastern Alabama.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »
Ohh wow! That's super interesting.

You all are talking about "Kaki", or ORIENTAL PERSIMMON.  Please don't leave off the "Oriental," as the actual true Persimmon is Diospyros virginiana, native to the eastern USA.

The persimmon-improvement group, which included my father, have been working on breeding and selecting true persimmons over the last several decades.
Some are close to the size of a 'Triumph' and rival or beat any oriental persimmon in over-all flavor, and definitely beat them in sweetness.

I have the 'Homestead' persimmon, selected in Florida City, at the bottom of the Florida Peninsula.  'Homestead' is not one of the superior selections for quality, but is adapted to our climate.  I have not tried to grow any of the selections done by the persimmon-improvement group associated with the Indiana Fruit and Nut Growers Association.  My Mother's yard has a collection of those on Sand Mountain in northeastern Alabama.
Jeff  :-)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »

Very interesting indeed, any information on availability of these new varieties?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.