Author Topic: For Sale- Mulberry scion wood  (Read 9775 times)

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: For Sale- Mulberry scion wood
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »
Received quality scions in excellent condition.  Thank you for all the extras. 

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2021, 01:54:05 AM »
Ditto on the excellent condition!

The hints, tips, and pictures on how to succeed with the cutting and opinions on taste are also much appreciated. 

If only, this thread happened last year, I'd be eating some fresh mulberry today too. Heck, even finding this forum 10 years ago would have been awesome :)
Received quality scions in excellent condition.  Thank you for all the extras.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2021, 01:10:49 PM »
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2021, 05:04:22 PM »
Thanks Brad, guess I need to look for a few more, like Black Prince. Nice photos of the Himalayan mulberry fruits.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2021, 08:25:11 PM »
We should contact Marta and reserve some himalayan and other varieties to graft with.  I have a few seedlings in the ground that need to be top worked.  I think her himalayan might be different and I want to grow it to compare.  I got mine as a grafted tree from exotica, who knows where he got it.

They are calling Pakistan white synonymous with Australian Green too, not sure if you saw that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:30:56 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2021, 10:58:51 PM »
Yes, I will get some of their DMOR9 Himalayan when it's back in stock. I have purchased from her, scions are very good/healthy. I purchased many of her variety except the Himalayan (it may have been out of stock).

Yes, I did see her write up on the white mulberries (White Pak, Australian Grn, Saharanpur) and I bought all three of them. If they are the same, I don't know why she sells each one under the three different names. I purchased all three types just in case her's is different than what I already grow.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2021, 11:50:16 PM »
Brad,

The extra grafted Himalayan I offered you is scion I got from Marta.  I had mentioned to Kaz that my leaves differed from his and were were lobed, but I didn’t know how to post pictures.  I saw her blog post with the photo and was going to refer him to it, but you beat me to it.  Anyways, the tree is still yours if you want.

Janet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2021, 12:01:05 AM »
thanks, Ill grow it if you save it. 

to post pictures theres a thing that says add image to post below the box and it will allow you to upload pictures. 
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2021, 12:17:21 AM »
I’ll save it for you.  I also started a purple tree collard for you.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2021, 01:13:55 PM »
Himalayan DMOR9 is a must have based off of that link. Shame to hear that cuttings don't root though.

Going to keep my eyes out for any scions or grafted trees. Hopefully she gets some in stock soon.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2021, 04:15:30 PM »
I’ll save it for you.  I also started a purple tree collard for you.

Thanks, you are the woman!  Let meet up soon. 

And Kaz is THE man who always hooks up the good plants and scions. 

Thank both of you guys. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »
No problem, thank you Brad for the avocado, cherimoya, loquat scions and other good stuff.

Fygee, everyone says you can't root the Himalayan and White Pakistan but you can if you baby the cuttings. I rooted the Red Himalayan cutting and it's doing fine, just will not get a high percentage to make root(25%). Similarly the white sapote can also be rooted if you baby it until it leaves out.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »
Yes, I will get some of their DMOR9 Himalayan when it's back in stock. I have purchased from her, scions are very good/healthy. I purchased many of her variety except the Himalayan (it may have been out of stock).

Yes, I did see her write up on the white mulberries (White Pak, Australian Grn, Saharanpur) and I bought all three of them. If they are the same, I don't know why she sells each one under the three different names. I purchased all three types just in case her's is different than what I already grow.

Kaz
You might already have DMOR9 Himalayan as your comment here states that you were able to root it (or may be it did not survive?).
https://fruitsandgardening.blogspot.com/2020/12/himalayan-mulberry-dmor9.html

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2021, 08:31:18 PM »
Malhar, yes I have the Red Himalayan from Brad but I also want to purchase the one from Marta, DMOR9, since her photos of the Himalayan shows different pattern on the leaves, has some lobes, Brad's and my grafted ones do not have that type of leaf even though the fruit is similar red, skinny, long (read above posts). I always like to have multiple source until I know the fruits and tree grows as described.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2021, 01:06:21 PM »
Now that I have all three of the white pakistan type "long fruit" mulberry (3"-4" fruits), I have evaluated the growth habits and fruiting and here's my summary below:

1. White Pakistan - tree and branches have slow growing, dwarf style growth. My larger tree which is over 7 yrs old is about 12 ft tall without any top trimming. Fruit production is heavy but many fruits do not go to full ripe (yellow) so overall ripe fruits are not that good. Branches on this tree does not grow long, just stubby and skinny. If you want to grow a dwarf style tree this one is smaller than the Word's Best or Thai Dwarf. My Thai Dwarf graft (1yr old) is over 15 ft tall.
2. Shahtoot/King White- tree and branches seems to be similar to Australian Green. Fruit is also similar to Australian Green.
3. Australian Green- best growth of all, vigorous branches, slim but grows strong. Easy to graft just like the Black Pakistan. Fruits heavily, largest fruit (up to 4") of these mentioned above. Fruit all taste similar but it has more to eat. My 2yr old grafted branch grew over 12 ft tall, has plenty of excellent tasting fruits. This is the one to graft if you want a medium size tree. Branches do not get fat/large like the Black Pakistan so its easy to maintain.

Any thoughts on where Black Persian might fall in all of this - both in habit and taste? Also, 'Black Beauty' seems to be very sought after every year as a bare root at Bay Laurel and elsewhere and I'm not too clear what distinction you'd make between those two and Black Pakistan?

Thanks!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2021, 03:50:45 PM »
Pedroboy, I do have both of the 2 varieties you asked about, but my grafts are still too young (this spring) so I will not be able to make a taste comparison until maybe next year. Maybe someone else who has fruits of these can comment.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2021, 05:05:27 PM »
Best of luck with those new grafts. I appreciate your mention of the Australian as a more restrained option - I was already resigning myself to Thai Dwarf or some equivalent for my choice of rootstock with that in mind.

Outdoorenth

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2021, 10:07:02 PM »
Himalayan DMOR9 is a must have based off of that link. Shame to hear that cuttings don't root though.

Going to keep my eyes out for any scions or grafted trees. Hopefully she gets some in stock soon.

Yeah sounds great, I may be interested in trying the Himalayan DMOR9 too. 🙂

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »
Update, here's whats available now:
1. Black Pakistan, $3 each plus shipping
2. Shangri-La, $3 each plus shipping
3. Thai Dwarf, $3 each plus shipping
4. White Pakistan $4 each plus shipping (note: white pak is difficult to take)
6. Shipping is USPS priority mail, small box, $8.45
Thanks for the White Pakistan cuttings. Quick delivery and well packed to retain moisture. Hope my grafts take.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2021, 03:27:43 PM »
Latest Status:

>see below <
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:43:02 PM by sc4001992 »

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2021, 11:51:07 AM »
Do the Austrailian Greens seem easier to root than White Pakistan?
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
You would have better luck grafting... they graft easily even for me.

Kevin

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2021, 02:26:56 PM »
I haven't tried rooting Australian Green, but I have tried White Pakistan and have not had much luck, maybe 5%. I read from Marta of "Really Good Plants" that you can not root these two varieties and she is a geneticist. Here's what she posted on her website.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:26:17 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »
Latest Status:  Just cut some branches of the Shangri La and Himalayan mulberry tree. Both cuttings are green hardened cuttings.

For the Red Himalayan, let me know if you like the skinny, medium, or larger diameter as shown in the photo.

see latest post below.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:26:45 AM by sc4001992 »

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2021, 11:35:19 PM »
Do you know if these can wait a month in fridge please?