Author Topic: On the Introduction of the Mango Into Florida by David Fairchild  (Read 5931 times)

natsgarden123

Very interesting- - from the 1951 Mango Forum Publication.  Hope its readable- I will be posting more.

my 2 favorite quotes:

"As I see the future of this industry, it present a fascinating new field of science for the research men, in entomology because of the new insects that are waiting to come in from all over the tropics; for the students of Growth Promoting substances - the hormones whose use may tremendously lessen  our fears that our mango blossoms will not set or will not hold their fruits ; for the soil chemists who have not yet begun their extensive studies of what fertilizers to use and just when they should be applied ; and to that group of dietitians and 'chef de cuisines' who will demonstrate to an ignorant , but easily converted public that the Oriental mango is one of the very greatest  fruits in the world- destined to be consumed by the world market that is soon to be opened by air express"

"Let us cultivate our taste for mangos as the Europeans have cultivated theirs for the bouquet of different wines. Is there a better wine?"

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:57:37 PM by natsgarden123 »

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Re: On the Introduction of the Mango Into Florida by David Fairchild
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
Thanks for posting,I truly enjoy reading David Fairchild's writing.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
Natsgarden, thanks for scanning that and posting it. I enjoyed reading it. From the little i've read about the propagation of mangos in books in India it does not agree with what Fairchild is saying. Prior to 1500's all mangos planted in India were seedlings and so there was tremendous variation. When the Dutch came to Goa they showed the Indians how to graft. After that the mangos were vegetatively propagated by grafting. I haven't hear of marcotting (air layers) being used as Fairchild claims. Maybe in some part of India that was practiced?
I wonder what Fairchild would say if he saw today's production of mangos in S. Florida? Would he think he succeeded? Certainly the production of mangos in Florida is very small, only a very tiny percentage of what Americans consume. Also on world market USA is on bottom of the list. It seems to me that the work done in Florida was mostly to the advantage of other mango producing countries, not to USA. There is way too much pressure on land from real estate for David Fairchild's dreams to have come true.
Oscar

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
Natsgarden, thanks for scanning that and posting it. I enjoyed reading it. From the little i've read about the propagation of mangos in books in India it does not agree with what Fairchild is saying. Prior to 1500's all mangos planted in India were seedlings and so there was tremendous variation. When the Dutch came to Goa they showed the Indians how to graft. After that the mangos were vegetatively propagated by grafting. I haven't hear of marcotting (air layers) being used as Fairchild claims. Maybe in some part of India that was practiced?
I wonder what Fairchild would say if he saw today's production of mangos in S. Florida? Would he think he succeeded? Certainly the production of mangos in Florida is very small, only a very tiny percentage of what Americans consume. Also on world market USA is on bottom of the list. It seems to me that the work done in Florida was mostly to the advantage of other mango producing countries, not to USA. There is way too much pressure on land from real estate for David Fairchild's dreams to have come true.
I agree with your points as far as commercial production goes,but as far as dooryard trees by homeowners there are tens of thousands if not more planted, while citrus used to be king in S FL, the canker eridication debacle wiped out hundreds of thousands of trees,many citrus have been replaced by mango trees.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:57:32 PM by BENDERSGROVE »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »
I agree with your points as far as commercial production goes,but as far as dooryard trees by homeowners there are tens of thousands if not more planted, while citrus used to be king in S FL, the canker eridication debacle wiped out hundreds of thousands of trees,many citrus have been replaced by mango trees.

What you say is true. But when Fairchild talks about starting a new mango  industry in S. Florida, he's not talking about supplying back yard growers with mango trees. He's mostly talking about planting mango orchards. See bottom of page 15 in his book.
Oscar

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »

What you say is true. But when Fairchild talks about starting a new mango  industry in S. Florida, he's not talking about supplying back yard growers with mango trees. He's mostly talking about planting mango orchards. See bottom of page 15 in his book.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
Yep,with the price of land,they would have to sell mangoes for $200 a piece to break even.lol ;D

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
He would have loved to have seen this forum and its professionals and amateurs (and those in-between):

"Dont shut the doors on the amateurs.Encourage them rather to plant seedlings of good mangos in order to discover new and better ones... More and More people of discrimination are going to live here in fruit gardens of their own making. They will be proud to show their friends rare fruits of many kinds, especially of delicious and differently flavored mangos"

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:41 AM »
He would have loved to have seen this forum and its professionals and amateurs (and those in-between):

"Dont shut the doors on the amateurs.Encourage them rather to plant seedlings of good mangos in order to discover new and better ones... More and More people of discrimination are going to live here in fruit gardens of their own making. They will be proud to show their friends rare fruits of many kinds, especially of delicious and differently flavored mangos"

David Fairchild predicted the future existence of Harry Hausman??   ;)
Oscar

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »
Move over Nostradamus.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »
Maybe David Fairchild would turn over in his grave if he found out that the largest importer of mangos, the USA, is also lowest on the list of mango producing countries?
Oscar

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
My university (Peking University) has the largest library in Asia, and one day while I was going through the English Bio section I found a copy of David Fairchild's, the world is my garden, which is is personal bibliografy. He wrote about many fruits in his books and his attempts at introducing them to the US market, he also included his encounters with important people of his day, and and eye into his world. Mangos were one of the ones he worked hardest on and sent fruit explorers all over the world to collect. There were many other plants he tried to introduce and some are important crops in america and some have been forgotten. Great read, I am going to try to get the book scanned before I leave China.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
My university (Peking University) has the largest library in Asia, and one day while I was going through the English Bio section I found a copy of David Fairchild's, the world is my garden, which is is personal bibliografy. He wrote about many fruits in his books and his attempts at introducing them to the US market, he also included his encounters with important people of his day, and and eye into his world. Mangos were one of the ones he worked hardest on and sent fruit explorers all over the world to collect. There were many other plants he tried to introduce and some are important crops in america and some have been forgotten. Great read, I am going to try to get the book scanned before I leave China.

Fairchild wrote 4 books about his fruit exploration and introduction days. All a great read. Highly recommended. Best if you can read them in order of publication, but not necessary.
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
I can only imagine how nice Florida was back in those days.... Now, at least here in West Palm Beach, Florida has become ... well... not exactly the paradise it once was