Author Topic: Water tests before and after acid  (Read 1274 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Water tests before and after acid
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:55:30 AM »
Two samples from the same source before and after I treated with sulfuric acid. I am still trying to learn basic water chemistry so any comments are helpful.

-Josh

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: Water tests before and after acid
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
Looks good. Not much of a change except the ph drop which is what I’m assuming you were going for. The difference in suspended solids may be a result of the pH drop as well. What was the time frame from sample to sample?

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
Carbonates = 0   looks good did you need that low ph to reach 0 Carbonates.Is this injection line or holding tank?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »
Looks good. Not much of a change except the ph drop which is what I’m assuming you were going for. The difference in suspended solids may be a result of the pH drop as well. What was the time frame from sample to sample?

There was probably 45 minutes between sampling. I thought maybe the increased suspended solids were from the calcium carbonate turning into calcium sulfate.

Carbonates = 0   looks good did you need that low ph to reach 0 Carbonates.Is this injection line or holding tank?

I have a line running directly from the well into two 500 gallon tanks that are plumbed together. I was just guessing the amount of sulfuric acid that I dump into the top lid of the tanks. I would like to keep the pH in the low 6s. This sample was after adding 16 oz to each tank/32 oz total to about 825 gallons of water.
-Josh

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »
You may be correct regarding the sudpemded solids, as my assumption was backwards anyhow; I was thinking that the higher acidicity would have killed off any bacteria, fungus, algae, etc. that was contributing to your suspended solids but the ppm increased, so that theory is out the window

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »
Good god I have a lot to learn ........