Author Topic: Growing raspberry, blackberry and blueberry in India.  (Read 5008 times)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
Growing raspberry, blackberry and blueberry in India.
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:00:22 AM »
I want to grow raspberrys, blackberry and blueberry in my garden but the plants are not available here in Mumbai. Is it viable to grow these berries from seeds and how much time does it take to bear fruit?
-Nakul

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing raspberry, blackberry and blueberry in India.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
Yeah its viable to grow from seeds, the biggest problem is finding an adaptable selection to the low to no chill hours encountered in India. Mysore raspberry, boysenberry, and low chill blueberry selections would be the best option.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 02:50:47 PM »
What are the requirements for importing plants or plant material into India?

gary

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »
Yeah its viable to grow from seeds, the biggest problem is finding an adaptable selection to the low to no chill hours encountered in India. Mysore raspberry, boysenberry, and low chill blueberry selections would be the best option.

Thanks. Will see if I could find seeds of any of those varieties.
-Nakul

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »
What are the requirements for importing plants or plant material into India?

gary

I dont know and also importing would be too costly I guess. I came across an organzation that imports those plants in northern India but wont send me a few plants as they only serve bulk orders.
-Nakul

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 05:06:18 PM »
I could send you some boysenberry cuttings if you can legally receive them.

gary

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
I could send you some boysenberry cuttings if you can legally receive them.

gary

Thanks Gary. I read on the governments website about getting seeds and planting material shipped to the country and it doesnt seem fit to get cuttings through customs as it might take some time to get it cleared. There are certain plants which are prohibited but I dont think these berries are on the list. Also the international shipping costs might be too much(Please inform otherwise).
-Nakul

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
I checked. A 9-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 2" box, maximum weight 4 pounds would cost $26.50. Delivery time estimated from 6 to 10 business days. I can afford that. That's using a USPS standard-sized box, which it seems their pricing scheme revolves around. It seems like prices go way up if you don't use one of their boxes but it could be a limitation of their online calculator.

I would think cuttings would survive time sitting in customs better than rooted plants, though if sent in January when dormant it might be about the same.

I also checked, there are no restrictions on sending out of the US.

gary

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:26:59 AM »
Loganberries are also worth looking at. They take the humidity well. The local Rubus probus here is also a good tropical berry fruit. I find them better than most of the 'tropical' raspberries, and a good deal hardier.

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »
I checked. A 9-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 2" box, maximum weight 4 pounds would cost $26.50. Delivery time estimated from 6 to 10 business days. I can afford that. That's using a USPS standard-sized box, which it seems their pricing scheme revolves around. It seems like prices go way up if you don't use one of their boxes but it could be a limitation of their online calculator.

I would think cuttings would survive time sitting in customs better than rooted plants, though if sent in January when dormant it might be about the same.

I also checked, there are no restrictions on sending out of the US.

gary

Thanks Gary but $26.50 is still a lot of money here. Besides I just heard back from the plant dealer and he quote a very good price for plants. Only thing is ill have to buy a minimum 15 plants in a go. So now I'll just try to find people who are trying to buy similar plants in my vicinity or maybe list the surplus on ebay ;D.

Regards

Nakul.
-Nakul

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »
Loganberries are also worth looking at. They take the humidity well. The local Rubus probus here is also a good tropical berry fruit. I find them better than most of the 'tropical' raspberries, and a good deal hardier.

Wow, I'm really surprised at the variety of fruits I came across on this forum. Thanks.
-Nakul

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 06:53:21 PM »
Strawberries grow well from seed too, provided you stratify them (even better if they come pre-stratified). Some varieties take heat better than others, so there's that to think about as well. Most varieties don't grow true from seed though, so you'll have some diversity in the batch (including some that may be superior or inferior in different ways).

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 12:52:52 AM »
Nakul, I wouldn't expect you to pay the postage (or for the cuttings/plants), it would be my gift to you. One gardener sharing with another.

gary

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 08:09:38 AM »
Nakul, I wouldn't expect you to pay the postage (or for the cuttings/plants), it would be my gift to you. One gardener sharing with another.

gary

That's what is so great about this forum!!!  I know I have sent and received seeds from all over the place and it was all done out of just kindness.  There are some very generous people on this forum.  A kind of pay it forward with plants.

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
That's really very generous of you Gary and as ofdsurfer mentioned there are a lot of generous people in this forum who are always ready to help novice gardeners and plant enthusiasts like me with very helpful information, feedback and advice. Its been only a few days since I've joined this forum and I already know so much about my own plants and whats been grown around the world which is really inspiring and that I think is more than what one could ask for. Its a great gesture from you to bear the shipping expenses but I still can't get myself to accept the gift. I would like to thank you and all the awesome forum members for the help. May the force be with all of you.
-Nakul

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 02:22:53 AM »
Well, if you change your mind send me a PM.

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 04:01:23 AM »
Well, if you change your mind send me a PM.

Yes, surely will do.
-Nakul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk