Author Topic: Annona tree identification.  (Read 1528 times)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
Annona tree identification.
« on: March 29, 2016, 09:32:59 AM »
I had an annona a few months ago that I thought was an atemoya. The vendor couldn't tell me what it was as the fruit is new to the Indian market and was probably imported(He said it was seedless custard apple when I asked). I've been looking at annona pics on the internet and am confused whether it was a cherimoya or an atemoya. I've planted its seeds and a few of them germinated. Following are the pics of one of them.

Is it possible for anyone to identify the plant from its leaves? I should've taken a pic of the fruit but I didn't.
-Nakul

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Annona tree identification.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
The leaves are definitely a little pointy so I would guess atemoya, since cherimoya leaves are generally fatter and more rounded at the tips. The thing with seedlings from self-pollinated atemoya is that there can be a high degree of variability in the seedlings; so some will have more sugar apple genetics and others will have more cherimoya genetics (assuming the seeds are from a self-pollinated fruit).
Dom

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
I thought it was a cherimoya because the leaves look pretty big and has that fuzzy look.
Didn't realize Atemoyas have a point leave.
Learned something new, thanks Dom.

Any luck with the Dream grafts?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
I thought it was a cherimoya because the leaves look pretty big and has that fuzzy look.
Didn't realize Atemoyas have a point leave.
Learned something new, thanks Dom.

Any luck with the Dream grafts?

Here are two cherimoya rootstock seedlings flushing out with new growth.

In relation to the reddish orange pot in the center, top right is cherimoya seedling, top left is Calostro, and left is Birula.

Dom

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »
Thanks Dom, I planted those seeds thinking it was an atemoya but after some googling and confusion was hoping it to be a cherimoya due to the uncertainty of fruiting. Now I hope to get a decent fruit from this seedling in a few years as I cant get an atemoya/cherimoya scion because nobody grows them here.
-Nakul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk