Author Topic: Grafting Lychees  (Read 16757 times)

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Lychees
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
Thought I'd go ahead and share my own attempts.  Here's my Hak Ip lychee, planted about two years ago here in inland southern California:

As you can see, I've recently attempted some grafts and a couple of airlayers.  Here's one successsful (up to this point) graft from last spring:

It's a Kwai Mi Pink/Bosworth 3 graft that took and looks to have set a few fruit this year.  Here's one more picture, of what looks to be a take on a No Mai Tze graft I made recently:

James

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
To me it looked like the graft was healing fine. Why did it die? Did you cut it off in 1 time?

It looks like you grafted some older wood which is harder to try.

The lychee and longan graft failed!  :'( No connection

Hello everyone! Speaking of grafting lychees, I just want to update pictures of my longan seedling rootstock approach grafted to my in-ground mauritius lychee. It looks like it works, but I'm still worry it will die if i cut the lychee off. Under the graft of the lychee, I plan to remove a ring off bark in the spring time when it is flowering. I want to see if it will force the seedling longan to flower

I kept the top part of the graft tied up just in case.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
Bangkok, I was about to remove a ring of bark below the graft of the lychee. I barely moved it and it just came apart. It only looks like there was fusion. But really, its just the  lychee callousing over the longan.

Emegar, congrats on your grafts! Haven't had any luck with grafting lychees. Can you explain how you did the grafts? Thanks!

Max

Steve in Los Osos

• USA, CA, Central Coast, USDA 10a/Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
There is a grafting technique given here, under "Propagation":

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/fb/lychee/lychee.htm#Propagation

I've never tried it. Still trying to keep a struggling air-layer alive  :-\

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
@fruitforme

I see, well i had grafts that looked the same and they took.

To cut the sciontree off i leave some cable-bundlers on the joint and i cut a v-shaped wedge out of the stem. Every week i cut the wedge a little bigger and after about 6 weeks i cut it totally of. Then i also remove some foliage of the scion and try to keep it in the shade for a week or so.

To graft the older branches takes much more time then younger ones so that is what i do now.

Well good luck next time, i think it is possible to graft lychee but i have never tried.

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »
Max,

Wish I could reveal some secret.  The first time I made two attempts and had one take using a cleft graft.  This year I tried around 10 grafts and have one definite take and one or two that I'm crossing my fingers about.  I've used buddy tape around the scion and graft, and I also have tried to tie something (paper, foam, etc.) over the graft to give it a bit of protection from the direct sun.

James
James

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 01:37:01 AM »
Max,

Wish I could reveal some secret.  The first time I made two attempts and had one take using a cleft graft.  This year I tried around 10 grafts and have one definite take and one or two that I'm crossing my fingers about.  I've used buddy tape around the scion and graft, and I also have tried to tie something (paper, foam, etc.) over the graft to give it a bit of protection from the direct sun.

James
James what was your rootstock and what was your scion (variety)?
Mike

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
I've grafted Kwai Mi Pink/Bosworth 3 and No Mai Tze onto a Hak Ip tree.
James

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
After questioning Dr. Zee from USDA Hawaii on the Fi Tsz Siu lychee grafting, his responses confirmed the infos posted on the link on a previous reply.

According to Dr. Zee, these are keys factors in lychee grafting:
1. Rootstock must be growing vigorously (could be seedling, air layered, grafted)
2. Rootstock must be at least 1 yr old, half inch size is best
3. Rootstock could be Hak Ip, Mauritius, or Brewster

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:51:43 PM by kh0110 »
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 06:47:21 AM »
Here are the instructions and illustrations in full for technique (modified top wedge) developed in Hilo by USDA specifically for grafting lychees:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-2.pdf
Hope that helps.
Oscar

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 04:11:42 AM »

I have used cleft, side and patch bud. The key thing is to make sure the rootstock is pushing. I fertilized the rootstocks three days before grafting. For patch budding, I also fertilized the scion donor tree ahead of taking scions. If the bark slips easily on both the rootstock and scion wood, patch buds can have very good percentage of takes. I have used this method for rambutan also.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 03:33:56 AM »
After learning that seedling lychee trees can take 8-15 years to fruit, I was wondering what happens if you graft onto a mature tree? Flowers + fruits within 1-2 years as though part of a mature tree? Or does it keep a "memory".
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Ariel

• Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
I am folowing my lychee on longan graft. It is 30 cms long of  new growth