Author Topic: Help Please on the Tropical Vegetable Forum!  (Read 6631 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Help Please on the Tropical Vegetable Forum!
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
This person Charlesippo has spammed the hell out of the forum, and for some reason I can't find where to flag any of the posts. Moderators, please delete this account and remove all the Spam!

Thanks so much.

I love that topic and would love for the forum to be more active, but 500 ads blocking out all relevant posts certainly don't help it to grow...

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please on the Tropical Vegetable Forum!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »
Would you like to be a moderator on the forum?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 05:20:20 PM »
570 pages of spam :P, that is a lot of spam.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
Would you like to be a moderator on the forum?

Thank you, that would be very nice, but I am not on regularly enough. I have only been showing up here maybe once every month or two. Perhaps in the future though, if I have time to be on more often!

But if a way to flag posts can be put in, it will be easier to notify a moderator sooner, before spam gets THAT crazy! I didn't even know it was over 500 pages, I just looked at the first 2 and saw a mess... People can be so obnoxious. I can't imagine how such a tactic would encourage anyone to trust your business or make them want to look into it.

But at least since this thread was posted, a reminder to everybody to consider heading on over to the Tropical Vegetable Forum and adding to the discussions! (I often find it hard to separate fruits from vegetables, since I am growing a bunch of plants and they're pretty much all tropical... it is hard to keep remembering to post fruits here, and non-fruit there, and then citrus separate again!) The more people the merrier, though!

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
I PMed Charlesippo a few weeks back to let him know what a d*%k he was being but didn't get a response. Some people....
Life is good

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:22:06 AM »
Living paradise there is a report to moderator button under a post I sent one a couple weeks ago about charles A hole but maybe it's not working?

I think even if you not on super often a moderator who comes on just like once a week to check things out makes sure spam is gone etc would be fine. Also you should get an email for reported posts. You should consider it!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »
I need a crash course in how to be a mod.  I was fiddling around with it the other day, but couldn't figure it out.  :o :o :-[
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
Ah... I figured out why there was no option to report threads. I was not logged in. I am on so little I forgot even how to get properly on the forum, lol! Good to know for future people, you do not have the option to report abuse if you're not logged in to a forum. The option is not there if you're just reading.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 09:50:27 PM »
Any help over on the Vegetable Forum? I reported some, but they didn't seem to get removed. Day after day, more keep coming, and the forum has been unusable... Is there a different way that spam is blocked out from the other forums? Maybe having to type a visible code to post each message would work?

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 12:52:39 AM »
Over 600 pages of spam at last count man:( I hate these spam A-holes. What are they even hoping to achieve with 600 pages of the same thing??????
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 01:20:33 AM »
Ouch!  I hope those spam notes don't need to be deleted one by one.

The next time someone wants to add another forum such as the Tropical Vegetable Forum or Temperate Fruits and Orchards, it would be nice if some of those advocates also volunteered to serve as moderators.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 01:21:50 AM »
Ouch!  I hope those spam notes don't need to be deleted one by one.

The next time someone wants to add another forum such as the Tropical Vegetable Forum or Temperate Fruits and Orchards, it would be nice if some of those advocates also volunteered to serve as moderators.

Here-here.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 01:49:13 AM »
748 pages now :'(

Below is the current idiot spammer I dont know if these are bots or real people but it I dont see the benefit to any company doing what hes doing
Emummimulgeve Hero Member

Vegetable forum is infrequently used but its still nice  to have theres a few very interesting threads.
I wish we could drive more legitimate traffic there its only because of how sparsely visited veg forum is that it quickly gets taken advantage of by these idiots.
Request if possible mods try pop in just every 5 days or so to check I know every one is busy but if theres a couple mods that would mean it gets checked on every couple of days. This guy registered 14 May and already ruining it for us few veg forum users!
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:04 AM »
It a pity they can't all be returned 10 fold to the source and be eliminated easily as a block.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:51 AM »
Yay all fixed ;D
Thank you mods ;D ;D
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
There are still a few spam threads on there.

I personally would prefer that the root and vegetable forums were merged, I did not even realize there WAS a root forum, and if the goal is to get more traffic because frequent use means more eyes watching out for spam, then in my mind it is too many subforums. But perhaps I am missing a good reason to divide them.

I would volunteer to be one of multiple moderators, if it is no big deal that I can't devote much time to it and may sometimes be away for months at a time. When I'm around, if it means I can help delete spam I certainly don't mind doing so. I just can't commit to being the only moderator there, or to being there in any regular capacity because sometimes I'm around daily, and sometimes I have to be away for several months.

I like the vegetable forum and personally wish it were not a separate forum because I prefer to stay in one place to write all my messages, and I don't know that growing vegetables is really so different from growing fruit - they're all plants, they all need sun and water and soil, and many technically are classified as fruits, and many that are on the fruit forum technically are eaten as vegetables (like for instance green mango, or a bunch of other fruits that are really not sweet). Then we have people writing about nuts here in the fruit forum, and one could argue that could be a separate category too, but again, really they're all plants that in the technical plant sense produce "fruit" and "seeds" and are all edibles. Plus sometimes a nut has an edible fruit that grows around it.

On the other hand, while I would like to merge all the edible plant sections if it were just up to me, I would LOVE to have a forum for ornamental plants (don't personally care if it's separate or not from fruit), because a lot of us have interest in and are growing attractive landscaping plants and I could really use some help with them - but just because they have flowers and no fruit, or no edible part, they don't fit in here. It would be nice to be able to ask people questions about tropical landscaping plants (and also the tropical weeds that show up among those plants) and I can only assume I am not alone in that desire.

I would think, based on the name, that it is clear this forum is primarily about Tropical Fruit. But to me, I don't see a disadvantage to allowing members to post their discussions about other tropical plants, whether they be technically vegetables or nuts or ornamental, or occasionally "exotic" or rare but not actually tropical, all in the same place so the maximum number of people see it and can respond. But I am only putting that out there as a way to think about it in case it hasn't been considered, since I clearly am rather new as a member and have not even been around reading nearly as long as a lot of people have been here. And someone has a vision for this website and it is their baby, not mine.

I just think plant hobbyists tend to like multiple kinds of plants, and although some people do specialize and focus on only one species or category, most people have a variety. And it's nice sometimes to encourage people to try an area they have no experience in yet. I find it to be an extra step to remember to exit one forum and enter another to talk about one type of growing, and then exit and reenter another forum to talk about another type of growing, when in my yard and in my mind these plants are all right next to each other, growing in the same conditions, and often suffering from similar problems, or having similar success. But perhaps other people find the compartmentalization of the topics helpful. Everybody thinks in a different way.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »
I agree the Tropical Vegetable forum should be added at least under everything else as 1 subforum. I can't post over at the Tropical vegetable forum, could not figure out what my password was. Also the password reset never worked and sent me a email reset. So now, I have a dead account over there. There are some on this forum that would get upset with a tropical vegetable subforum, though I don't see any problem especially if it was listed under everything else forum (or located where it is now with the redirect).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
agreed (though Sheehan doesn't IIRC).  For some reason, the firewall at work doesn't allow access to the TVF, but this site works fine ???
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »
I can help mod the veg forum as well

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 01:52:36 PM »

I just became a mod recently, but I honestly haven't figured out how to take any actions.  I was playing around with it, trying to erase the spam, but came away empty-handed.  Need a crash course from sheehan sometime when I am not thinking about tropical fruit  ;)
~Jeff

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »
10-4 buddy

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
Where is the veg forum and root forum? I knew about veg when it was first started but I lost my way.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
Where is the veg forum and root forum? I knew about veg when it was first started but I lost my way.

Look near the top of the page, just under the dark green bar that says "Home  Help  Search..."  etc.
Ok, now look just below that at the tiny green print that says "Tropical fruit forum - Intl Tropical fruit growers..." etc.

Hover over the beginning of that line, "Tropical Fruit Forum...," and it should look suddenly underlined. Click on it.

Scroll down toward the bottom of that page. You'll see this forum listed, and some subgroups like buying and trading fruit, etc. You'll see a Citrus Forum and related subgroups. You'll see a Temperate Fruit Forum. And below all that at the bottom, is the Tropical Vegetable forum. When you click on it, you'll see that there's a main forum, but also subforums like Roots. You'll have to sign in separately and create a separate account, which I don't really understand why is necessary. But, I think it's a great an interesting forum, and I encourage anyone growing tropical fruit to check it out and add to it!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »
Oh, that's where it is! Thanks!

It's a link to an external website so your login session doesn't carry over.

With some backend magic I suppose the admins could make both sites use a single set of user accounts. That might not be easy, and probably not something the forum software want to support.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »

I just made you a mod.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk